PDA

View Full Version : takeing a bbl off of a metric

Larry Cohen
July 07, 2007, 17:42
What tools do I need to take off the bbl from my belgium FAL and where do I get them??

J. Armstrong
July 07, 2007, 17:51
Presuming you are working with a receiver and not just the stub, you should use a receiver wrench and a barrel vise. A very tight fitting wrench on the barrel flats may work, but is a really risky proposition, as rounded flats are the sign of a botch job. Besides, you'll need the vise to reinstall the new barrel, no ?
If the wrench requires it, you will need a breaker bar to fit the socket, probably a length of steel pipe ( "cheater bar" ) to slip over the end for leverage.
Post a WTB or want to rent in Marketplace. Also, I think member Ratas Calientes has 'em for sale.

J. Armstrong
July 07, 2007, 17:53
Wait a minute - you are unbreeching a BELGIAN receiver :eek: .
Whatever for :confused:

Larry Cohen
July 07, 2007, 17:57
Yes I am I found two front end assemblies that were obviously cut just posterior to the chamber,,,,there is no receiver but for what goes around the chamber ......bbl etc are like new

J. Armstrong
July 07, 2007, 18:11
Whew !!! For a minute, I thought youwere disassembling a complete Herstal rifle !!!
In this case with only the stub, you can use a Dremel tool and a cutoff wheel - carefully cut a fore and aft slot through the existing cocking handle slot. Deepen carefully - not a disaster if you accidentally cut into the barrel threads, but a neater job if you don't. You actually don't hjave to cut the receiver all the way through, you just take a cold chisel and split the receiver open enough to release the threads.
I think there may be an old thread with pictures which a search my disclose.

K.R. Rabbit
July 11, 2007, 22:27
I used a hack saw with fine results. I put the barrel in my workmate and made a cut in the charging handle slot, blew out the metal dust, cut, blew out the metal dust. After a few passes, the metal began to show a slight difference in color. I took a cold chisel and put it in the remains of the charging handle slot and gave the chisel one good blow. The receiver stub split right where I had been cutting with the hack saw and the stub turned right off the barrel.
I learned this method from Mark Graham's workbook. He is "Gunplumber" on this site and you can get his book and DVD by checking out his web site at http://www.ArizonaResponseSystems.com. I can't recomend his workbook to much.
Take care,
Rabbit

Radio
July 12, 2007, 01:11
Rabbit means he can't recommend gunplumber's DVD and workbook ENOUGH. As in IT'S REALLY GOOD. As in GET ONE. As in YOU NEED IT.

When using the chisel method, be sure to put a spent piece of brass in the chamber to protect the chamber, and orient the chisel in the same direction that the barrel is pointing. You are trying to split the charging handle slot from the rear to the front, NOT straight down, aiming at the barrel threads, in the cut you just made.

--Radio