PDA

View Full Version : gas block not straight?

Nietz
July 07, 2007, 17:30
ok here goes I will try and explain this as basic as I can, we are looking at an L1A1, when looking down the entire rifle it seemed somehow not straight so I removed the HG's and low and behold the Gas block is not straight, if you were to look down on the rifle from the top the entire front sights/gas block is shifted/twisted to the right, the barrel seems in line with the rest of the rifle. at first I thought it was the butt stock, but nope it is the gas block. I guess the question is. Is there an easy fix for this? as I am sure the sights are off, also everything is tight nothing moves or will turn (by hand anyways) does this sound like a big issue? what could be the problem? can it easily be straightend?

This is a friends rifle and I know it fires properly as I have seen him shoot it at the range.(he has a scope on it so likely why he did not notice) I can try and get a pic next time I am at his place, I just thought I would ask here because it was odd to me that he never noticed it, even with the scope. any help info or knowledge is much appreciated.

Nietz

bykerhd
July 07, 2007, 17:51
While it is certainly possible to have a misaligned gas block the usual cause of what you are seeing is an undertorqued barrel.
Probably a couple degrees short of top dead center. Easy to fix with the proper tools. A bit harder if you have to make-do.

chromestarhustler
July 08, 2007, 00:09
where you located, someone with the proper tools might be close

Radio
July 09, 2007, 11:44
if your barrel is mis-timed the smurf who built the rifle didnt turn the shoulder to realign the barrel (kinda like they do it at the factory) ...when are you flatlanders ever gonna figure this out ...maybe it was al gore .....gravity .....stupidity /???...im thinkin the latter....line boring of parts that need to be straight has been done the same way for 400 years ....why do you want to change to the inncorrect method ....????

.........ta check the gas block alingment ... put the barrel in the lathe between centers ..make sure the lathe is on line (to check line put a piece of barstock in between the centers ..turn od on both ends to a set reference off the dial indicator ...pull ten off each end ...measure both end to check for taper ...(angularity ...not the large south american pig with tusks )he .....with this known ..run the bbl in between centers and put a dial on the bbl shoulder face ...and check runout....don't bother to tell me your problem has nothing to do with this... i use a lathe for everything... unlike the gunwhore who should have stuck to plumbing... yeah he has nothing to do with this either.. but i just cant resist giving him a tweak for no reason.......particularly because he's right and makes me look like a fool.. go reinstall your barrel ..and this time torque it down all the way.. idiots...don't appreciate my superior intellect.. headspace can/ will change slightly...re check it ...probably by at least .00001 inch..gets it back to the way the factory did it ...by the way buy my timing tool....its really cool...yes i write all my posts this way ...my silly habits are more important than helping you read..

--RRaaddiioo

AndyC
July 09, 2007, 16:52
Holy sh*t - I hadn't realised that it was Radio writing that until I got to the "i just cant resist giving him a tweak for no reason.......particularly because he's right" part :rofl:

English Mike
July 09, 2007, 17:06
See if the barrel will tighten to the correct point - using the correct tools of course(barrel vice & receiver wrench).
Do this by first slackening the barrel & seeing if it will hand tighten to 10:30-11:00.
If it doesn't then the breeching washer is too thick & will need to be replaced, or ground down to the correct thickness.

adam762
July 09, 2007, 19:13
.... or, as an alternate possibility, perhaps one of the gasblock ears is bent. L1s ARE prone to doing that, with the open ears and all. There's only so much mis alignment that the gas piston will allow, though, before it binds really badly and won't function.

Get Court in FLAs' timing tool, and throw the rods in it. The truth will be known then.

ACCURRETT
July 15, 2007, 20:41
Its a century ain't it? Been there! Ya got to love century, time you get done rebuilding one of there rifles your practically a expert smith at that weapon.:tongue:

Gunga Din
July 15, 2007, 21:06
Originally posted by chromestarhustler
where you located, someone with the proper tools might be close
This is why it is a good idea to fill in your approximate location when registering here.