PDA

View Full Version : Fn FAL century castings finished

sprat
July 06, 2007, 16:44
Can it be done??? I did it!!!! and with simple hand tools NO MILLING MACHINE

fire function
I test fired my century casting that I finished from 70% to almost 95%

I loaded 1 weak reload into the chamber. pulled the bolt catch and she locked up fine, with a coathanger and gun rest. I pulled trigger and low and behold no blown receiver, no cracks no deforms of any kind and I didn't loose any JB

but the primers came out and out the bottom of the mag well FLAT, case didn't eject ( gas valve not set properly) the neck was fire formed for a new caliber

Yes I know I am a smith excessive headspace and no I didn't headspace before hand.( bad habit building AK's) I will have to thread deeper about a half turn. I cut the threads by hand!

when I loaded the 5 round in the mag ,she locked up tight, the pressure was high enough to blow the bottom of austrian mag out got to get that gas valve set

As of now I am the only person to have built a 70% FN FAL to fire function on all the sites I have checked

good luck with your castings

sprat

kev
July 06, 2007, 18:05
R.I.P.

olsarg
July 06, 2007, 19:36
Are you using a FAL barrel? 1 hlf a turn on the barrel will put the sites down I think. Or are you moving the gas block? How did you cut the groves saw blade or dremial.

elbo
July 06, 2007, 20:17
You are not the first person to have done it. :fal:
Look for postings by ripndee some 4years old.

You may be the first to have done it wrong.

JoeLad
July 06, 2007, 21:10
I call dibs on the rest of your guns when your CIA bomb does you in.

phillip
July 06, 2007, 21:16
Originally posted by JoeLad
I call dibs on the rest of your guns when your CIA bomb does you in.

I dont think I would want em:confused:

ostrobothnian
July 06, 2007, 21:52
Good Lord. I do believe this is the "nuttiest" post I have ever read here on the files! Is it real? How about some pics?

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k152/finlandssvensk/anim_peep.gif

Radio
July 06, 2007, 23:50
The "coathanger and rifle rest" part was the only intelligent portion of the post.

--Radio :rofl:

ostrobothnian
July 07, 2007, 00:06
Thanks for clearing that up WEG.

Wonder if he had a hard time bending the locking shoulder to fit in that receiver.

NHBandit
July 07, 2007, 07:21
See you at the Darwin awards.... :uhoh:

ce
July 07, 2007, 08:47
Don't listen to them spratboy, they're just jellis.

Once you perfect your technique, you will be a magnet for all the castings Tapco ever sold, and one by one, you can cut, grind, chisel and weld them all together.

The double barrel FAL

The Quad FAL on pedestal mount

The Krummlauf FAL that shoots around corners

The FAL shotgun

Keep up the good work!

English Mike
July 07, 2007, 13:21
Due to BATFE's recent decision that an unfinished receiver needs registering if you can make it work using hand tools only, it wont be long before any lump of steel will require transfer via an FFL, including railroad track:eek: ;)

gunsmith_tony
July 07, 2007, 15:00
Your a "smith"? Are you F'ing serious?

gunsmith_tony
July 07, 2007, 15:03
Originally posted by Radio
The "coathanger and rifle rest" part was the only intelligent portion of the post.

--Radio :rofl: Not really. Judging from his description, a coat hanger wouldn't be nearly long enough.

thedrickel
July 07, 2007, 22:19
Dude . . . go buy a lottery ticket. NOW!

hockeysew
July 07, 2007, 22:40
If my calender didnt say different, I would say it is April Fools....
Sheeesh!
:skull: :skull:

Speedfish
July 08, 2007, 07:56
I've been working all night and I know that I am exhausted, but what am I missing here? Why are you guys giving this dude so much grief? Is there more to this story than I am seeing?

EM,
Is that true about registering a receiver that you built with handtools? That is completely FUBAR!

bykerhd
July 08, 2007, 08:05
Speedfish, it is the methodology employed in testing the receiver and lack of safety checks preceding and during that have people stirred up. If true, and he really did things as stated, he is very lucky not to have seriously injured or killed himself. Completion with only hand tools would normally be a big WECSOG plus.

SIG552
July 08, 2007, 09:31
I think he just yanked everybodies chain and now he's sitting back with a cold beer enjoying all the posts. Not even the bravest WECSOGer would be foolish enough to test a firearm in this manner and/or have the balls to post it so triumphantly on a board he knows to be populated by FAL enthousiasts from around the world.

SIG552 :biggrin:

bykerhd
July 08, 2007, 10:06
I imagine most all of us are hoping you are correct SIG552.

If that is really the case, he should now step forward, acknowledge it to be a "story" and take his bows. He did stir things up a bit.

Of course if it's true, he should thank his lucky stars, still claim it was just a "story", take his bows and STFU.:biggrin:

gunnut1
July 08, 2007, 10:15
Originally posted by ENGLISH MIKE
Due to BATFE's recent decision that an unfinished receiver needs registering if you can make it work using hand tools only, it wont be long before any lump of steel will require transfer via an FFL, including railroad track:eek: ;)

?????When did this happen?

SADDLER
July 08, 2007, 12:41
Originally posted by sprat

fire function

but the primers came out and out the bottom of the mag well FLAT, case didn't eject ( gas valve not set properly) the neck was fire formed for a new caliber

Yes I know I am a smith excessive headspace and no I didn't headspace before hand.( bad habit building AK's) I will have to thread deeper about a half turn. I cut the threads by hand!

when I loaded the 5 round in the mag ,she locked up tight, the pressure was high enough to blow the bottom of austrian mag out got to get that gas valve set

sprat

English Mike
July 08, 2007, 13:07
Originally posted by gunnut1

?????When did this happen?

I wasn't being entirely serious but the BATFE's intent is pretty clear from the comments HERE (http://www.1919a4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9552)

festus
July 08, 2007, 13:18
You have the makings of a fine 9 mm project. Get a Rineland 9mm barrel and go from there. 308 or any other high pressure round is suicide in an un tested un heat treated receiver. I also carved out a fal receiver from a casting, but would never attempt to use a rifle cartridge in one. I understand your determination and endeavors, but it is time for common sense to prevail. Keep us updated and ignore the detractors.

juanni
July 08, 2007, 21:07
It is a plausable story. You don't need a machine shop full of tools to jam a bolt, carrier, barrel and locking shoulder in a Tapco casting.

But a fully functioning, reliable and durable reciever with hand tools and without the "jb weld"..........
Well that is a whole nuther story.

I will be waiting for that whopper. :biggrin:

.........juanni

sprat
July 09, 2007, 17:31
Ok the erson who said someone else did this 4 years ago did he test fire
I did was this profect done with hand tools or milling if he used a milling machine any person can do this project including you!

second
yes I work as a jouneyman smith, before the service. then spent a few years assembling parts to existing stock for our uncle (not smithing just re-assembling). I specialize in sigs P-2xx series, walthers etc most smiths can't build a snow man

yep I am setting back having a few cold beers but its not at your expense, its for my accomplishment that numerous of jealous individual refuse to believe.

THIS POST IS FOR REAL, pictures for this build can be found on the Roderus gunsite
http://www.homegunsmith.com/cgi-bin/ib3/ikonboard.cgi?;act=ST;f=20;t=17840

I am home builder not some guy who buys a receiver from DSA or whoever and slaps together kit and call myself a builder thats the real joke

sprat

Conju
July 09, 2007, 18:49
Ok the erson who said someone else did this 4 years ago did he test fire
I did was this profect done with hand tools or milling if he used a milling machine any person can do this project including you!

second
yes I work as a jouneyman smith, before the service. then spent a few years assembling parts to existing stock for our uncle (not smithing just re-assembling). I specialize in sigs P-2xx series, walthers etc most smiths can't build a snow man

yep I am setting back having a few cold beers but its not at your expense, its for my accomplishment that numerous of jealous individual refuse to believe.

THIS POST IS FOR REAL, pictures for this build can be found on the Roderus gunsite

I am home builder not some guy who buys a receiver from DSA or whoever and slaps together kit and call myself a builder thats the real joke

sprat

Your posts make my head hurt...If you're proud of yourself, more power to you, but if you're truly a gunsmith like you claim to be, you of all people should know better than anyone else here what you have done is a really bad idea.

Radio
July 09, 2007, 19:14
Those pictures are of horrible resolution, as if they've been shot through linen and blurry besides... they could be of ANYTHING. Also, there is NO charging handle and NO locking shoulder. Furthermore, this is of SOFT STEEL that has not yet been heat treated in any fashion.I will answer any question on this build as long as it civil

capt jackWhy post as SPLAT here and "capt jack" there? Nobody has used that name here yet.

Your English is so poor, your photography is so laughable, and you so blithely ignore the most basic of safety standards, that I really wonder just what you're trying to accomplish with this thread.

--Radio

ostrobothnian
July 09, 2007, 19:17

OK. The first post still confuses me (kind of like gggiilllieee speak). How do you expect that a gas setting change is going to solve the "magazine bottom blowing out". With all due respect sir I believe your gunsmithing experience should tell you that you have some serious headspace issues?

I'll shut up now. :D

gunsmith_tony
July 09, 2007, 19:42

when I loaded the 5 round in the mag ,she locked up tight, the pressure was high enough to blow the bottom of austrian mag out got to get that gas valve setI do not believe your being misjudged or misinterpreted. My opinion is based on your above comments. Frankly, I just don't what to think. It's just crazy. Your lucky to not be in an ICU somewhere.
You didn't headspace before firing?
It was so far off the case neck was over expanded?
It was so far off you think the barrel needs to screw in another half turn?
Then, after that, you thought it was a good idea to try and fire another five rounds to set the gas regulator?
You may be good at doing lots of other things. But this doesn't seem to be one of them. I'm not trying to bash you...I just don't want you (or anyone near you)to get hurt.

AndyC
July 09, 2007, 19:50
This is like watching a really spectacular car-crash about happen in slow-mo. I'm keeping Darwin Awards on speed-dial... :eek:

villafuego
July 09, 2007, 20:17
"I am home builder not some guy who buys a receiver from DSA or whoever and slaps together kit and call myself a builder thats the real joke"

Yeah........[post edited to remove my comments on this]

Radio
July 09, 2007, 21:23
Rapeguy, I did read the posts in the linked thread quite carefully, and squinted hard at the horrific photography. I am aware how he chambered rounds without the use of the standard charging handle. I am aware that he used some cobbled-up surface, NOT hardened like a locking shoulder and certainly not at the correct lockup angle, to accept the firing pressures, of which I am also aware was not a full load. AND I'm aware of what he calls himself on two different boards. Are you his dad or something???

You need to wake up and smell the exploding receiver, man.

--Radio

Abominog
July 09, 2007, 21:53
Where are ggirlie and GP?

fastprofessor
July 09, 2007, 22:00
Sprat, don't take the previous comments the wrong way. Some of the guys come off a bit harsh, but listen to what they say. From your first post it sounds as if you have excessive head space. Plus excessive pressure is never a good thing. Don't shoot it again until you head space it correctly. Your life may depend upon it.

Hebrew Battle Rifle
July 10, 2007, 03:39
Anybody remember BigDuke60?

Bwana John
July 10, 2007, 11:28
Big deal, I made a 12 ga. shotgun with some 3/4" galvinised water pipe and a pipe wrench and shot it with REAL 12ga ammo... Who a needs 80% receivers and wimpy reloads?

Im more impressed with the BATF guys that zip-tyed a demilled reciever back together and got it to work.

This sounds like the guy who screwed a barrel into a new receiver, but didnt have a wrench, so he left the barrel 1 thread loose, assembled the rest of the rifle and pulled the trigger... Then had the adacity to try to sell the receiver.

Just because you can do somthing does not mean you should

sprat
July 10, 2007, 15:58
Raspie guy thank you for the words and no you are not related to me.
this is a lesson in jealousy blinding the accomplishment and yes I was trained by a euro smith to do locks, receivers by hand as they are done in the finest factories. ex: beretta they make hand made shotguns and those are highly valued, while the one's made up on the milling machine have almost no resale value. not that I am selling

headspace well yes, if you read my post I was aware of excessive headspace, this was a fire function test, nothing blew up (yet) no emergncy room needed
gee the jb in feeding ramp area didn't crack or move. the reloads were almost equal to a commerical load (not military)

the barrel threads were tapped by hand, I will need to tap deeper

sorry about the pictures, I used a disposable camera that went through the scanning device at the airport and the film was affected. for this you all get a apology

I have different screen names because I joined that site in 2002, and I joined this one recently looking for constructive advice. which I am not getting!!

its a hot one today I am gonna sit down with couple cold ones and laugh about the amount of jealousy here man did I touch a nerve

english lessons: well yes I am not real good sometimes, I have college degree and speak three languages, its content not structure with me

hay radio if you don't like the channel change the station. its always your opportunity

and last but not lest
the art of personnal destruction is a tool of the liberal democratic party, and I see its used here hummm

sprat

ce
July 10, 2007, 16:09
Whoa, dude, that's totally cool that you got the mad skillz from the Europeeners, man!

I can totally dig your free float forend, and your Ackley Improved chamber with the freebore leade and especially like the variable geometry locking shoulder.

Sometimes locking shoulders can be so rigid and if the angle isn't right, Dougjones will get his ass kicked by a pair of size thirteens and a german shepard out in the parking lot.

12 degrees, man, 12 degrees, don't let anybody tell you different, man, that Bugdick 60 don't know shit, man.

jaykden
July 10, 2007, 18:08
this is a lesson in jealousy blinding the accomplishment and yes I was trained by a euro smith to do locks, receivers by hand as they are done in the finest factories. ex: beretta they make hand made shotguns and those are highly valued, while the one's made up on the milling machine have almost no resale value. not that I am selling

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

you are equating your "disaster" with a beretta hand made shotgun?

you are hilarious. :rofl:

i bet i can one up you by building my vewy own FAL receiver out of a block of steel with a dremel tool. all i need is:

-big block of steel
-bandaids
-dremel tool
-file
-chisel

i'll make me up an L1A1 that'll put lithgow to shame.

:shades:

phillip
July 10, 2007, 21:55

headspace well yes, if you read my post I was aware of excessive headspace, this was a fire function test, nothing blew up (yet) no emergncy room needed
gee the jb in feeding ramp area didn't crack or move. the reloads were almost equal to a commerical load (not military)

sorry about the pictures, I used a disposable camera that went through the scanning device at the airport and the film was affected. for this you all get a apology

I have different screen names because I joined that site in 2002, and I joined this one recently looking for constructive advice. which I am not getting!!

its a hot one today I am gonna sit down with couple cold ones and laugh about the amount of jealousy here man did I touch a nerve

english lessons: well yes I am not real good sometimes, I have college degree and speak three languages, its content not structure with me

hay radio if you don't like the channel change the station. its always your opportunity

and last but not lest
the art of personnal destruction is a tool of the liberal democratic party, and I see its used here hummm

sprat

What name do you use to sell your wares on the market place?

Powderfinger
July 11, 2007, 00:37

and last but not lest

sprat

What's yer point, asshat?

Radio
July 11, 2007, 13:41
Looks like I picked a bad week to quit smokin' crack.

--Radio

hockeysew
July 11, 2007, 18:33
Originally posted by Radio
Looks like I picked a bad week to quit smokin' crack.

--Radio

+1

TexMac
July 11, 2007, 20:36
What's yer point, asshat?

F-ing classic!

Gawd, I haven't stopped laughing from the moment I started reading this garbage!

Rail on, Compadres! Rail on! This is so clearly a comic failed attempt at suicide (likely because he forgot that was what he started to do - one brain cell using the other as a pillow to take a nap on). A hillbilly wet dream, it is!

Thank You All! (Yes, even the "Asshat", for stirring this s--t up!)

F-ing classic!

Abominog
July 12, 2007, 07:30
It's a shame really we can't get a quantity of these blanks anymore. We could have a competition who could make the best "receiver" using only hand tools and a dremel. I know mine would come out like *@&) because I've no skills, but it would be interesting none-the-less to see if I could actually get rails cut and make a BC run back and forth.

dougjones31
July 12, 2007, 12:32
This thread gives me a headache.......All BS aside..I have seen 2 of these castings completed into working guns. One was done on a milling machine and the other was done with hand tools. It was un-freaking beleivable to see carrier and top cover slots that were carved with a dremel. He said he used some small carbide cutters to cut the slots so that the cut were uniform width and depth. They were actually straighter than I would have imagined and the gun functioned fine.

My only problem with the whole concept is that the receivers are not hardened....and they will not hold up. Both guns had excessive headspace because the locking shoulder was getting pounded back and the soft receiver was giving.

I used a map torch and hardened the receiver in 3 spots...... around the barrel, around the LS and at the rear lug. The receiver wanted to warp when I heated the locking shoulder area and I ended up having to clamp it down to keep it from warping. In the end it was accomplished.....But I am not heat treater, so I am sure it is not exactly as hard as it should be. Harder than it was, but still not exactly correct. Although there are differing opinions as to the correct hardness. I do remember a thread that listed hardness readings from different receivers and they were all over the spectrum. Suffice it to say that the unhardened receiver is not going to blow up.....it will just stretch. So it is not a death wish to build or shoot one of these.

Hebrew Battle Rifle
July 13, 2007, 01:20
If GOD is willing, I will begin machining my receiver casting shortly. However, a Bridgeport mill and a LeBlond engine lathe, among other machines, will be employed for this project. My great grandfather was a blacksmith only because he didn't have a Number 4 Warner Swasey to work with.

Chalk_2
July 13, 2007, 03:26
If I had to guess. I think this is some Euro-Kid having a bit of fun, and trying to impress his friends. None of the crap he's saying is making much sense. I think the best thing to do is to deprive him of his much needed attention by not responding to his silly post. :beer:

dhamlin
July 13, 2007, 13:20
Some of you guys definately need to lighten up!
Why would you feel its your job to belittle the guy? Really, whats the deal. The guy is trying. To be honest with you , there are lots of people that I run in to on a daily basis that are supposed to be Professionals that CLEARLY are not.
I am sure most of the naysayers wouldnt even attempt what he did, sure you can hide behind"its just too dangerous". Guess what thats dangerous for YOU, not someone who is willing to try.
I agree that a little more caution should have been excercized. OK, then why not give constructive critiscism. Maybe if you Knew better you could offer some advise based on EXPERIENCE. OOPS, you dont have any.
I am planning on machining a receiver myself. I was excited to see the post. Then I read a bunch of crap?
RELAX! Maybe if the guy wasnt put on the defensive so quick this thread could have amounted to something!
I am not saying everything he did was right, but trying to help is definately better than being an "asshat".

So all that aside is there any good how to's on heat treating and milling, or is it just armchair quarterbacks that have alot to say cause 4 years ago they read something?

jaykden
July 13, 2007, 14:05
dhamlin, its this attitude that has everyone tearing into him

sprat

he did some VERY stupid and dangerous things in "building" this rifle.

ce
July 13, 2007, 15:09
I have to belittle the guy because it's my job.

If I didn't belittle people, pretty soon, here comes Mr. Big Shot, with a load in his pants, and a big cigar, and he's gonna machine a receiver, he's got a license from FN, he got it on the Internet, and then he's gonna build a rifle, a REAL rifle, not one of those screw together erection sets like you buy from Tapco.

All right, everybody stand back, here goes Mr. Big Shot he's got a clothes hanger tied to his dick, and he's ready to roll!

Ho ho, but on you, it looks good!

dhamlin
July 13, 2007, 16:34
that quote is from post # 28....Well after the beating began...I am sure that anyone would have been ticked off after that verbal bashing.

Again I am not supporting what he did, sounds like he was lucky. But there was little corrective help offered by most. I applaud the people who did try.
AlsoI dont think his 1st post was all that obnoxious.

Anyhow I am out of this, its not my battle, I just thought maybe people could step back and see how they were acting thats all....

BUFF
July 13, 2007, 18:15
Originally posted by shlomo
In my best Gump voice:

I'm not a smart ma-an, but I know what headspace is.

Heheheheheheh... Good one, schlomo!

bykerhd
July 13, 2007, 20:01
The problem dhamlin is not that the person who calls himself sprat took lump of steel resembling an FAL receiver and brought it to some other level.

The problem is that he has created something which is still not an FAL, but claims it is, has obvious safety issues due to excessive headspace and lacks the means to correct it since he deviated from FN's design, is not heat treated, apparently at all, and is not only pronouncing that he is the only REAL gun builder/smith around, but advocating that others should follow his lead.
That is very irresponsible.

Plus, his procedure for "testing" is dangerous at best. He's been very lucky. Someone who does indeed emulate his accomplishments may not be.

I thought this thread was a put-on. I'm sure that was the reaction from a lot of the folks here. Hard to believe someone with what he claims for training would ignore so many basics.

Whether you choose to follow his lead is your business. If you do at least invest in some headspace gauges. Heat treating would be something else to consider if you don't want that receiver to stretch too far.

SIG552
July 14, 2007, 03:41
If he doesn't heat treat that bomb he doesn't need to headspace it as the receiver is going to stretch anyway. He may do 300 rounds and then it'll start getting interesting. He may even stretch it out to 30-06! Good to go!

:D

SIG552

P.S. Sprat, all joking aside, that rifle will probably kill you soon, but before that happens, please tell us how many rounds you fired before it all went south. Even create a sticky, like "Ol' Dirty". As you coathanger the rifle keep us up to date with the "progress". Pics would be nice too, but proper pics please.

Powderfinger
July 14, 2007, 18:18
Originally posted by bykerhd
The problem dhamlin is not that the person who calls himself sprat took lump of steel resembling an FAL receiver and brought it to some other level.

The problem is that he has created something which is still not an FAL, but claims it is, has obvious safety issues due to excessive headspace and lacks the means to correct it since he deviated from FN's design, is not heat treated, apparently at all, and is not only pronouncing that he is the only REAL gun builder/smith around, but advocating that others should follow his lead.
That is very irresponsible.

Plus, his procedure for "testing" is dangerous at best. He's been very lucky. Someone who does indeed emulate his accomplishments may not be.

I thought this thread was a put-on. I'm sure that was the reaction from a lot of the folks here. Hard to believe someone with what he claims for training would ignore so many basics.

Whether you choose to follow his lead is your business. If you do at least invest in some headspace gauges. Heat treating would be something else to consider if you don't want that receiver to stretch too far.

+1!
If it's a put on... Good one, he got me. HA-HA If not, the asshat remark stands.

Re-read the first post carefully, dhamlin. If the ignorance of this self proclaimed smith doesn't cause you alarm with his potentially deadly creation, then you would be better off using your casting for a door stop.
No jealosy here as he claims in another post, just pending pity for him if he continues on with his ignorance and arrogance.
A search of his posts support he is serious about this and not putting us on.

1MOR
July 15, 2007, 21:16
Come on guys, its his head on the buttstock when this thing goes off! I give him credit, at least he is giving it a go! More than I am willing to do. I hope he pulls it off and down the road, shows us a pic of a group at 100 klicks. And yes, the old world apprenticeships would start a guy with a block of steel and a file. Make it square, kid.:bow:

jaykden
July 16, 2007, 00:38
Originally posted by SIG552
If he doesn't heat treat that bomb he doesn't need to headspace it as the receiver is going to stretch anyway. He may do 300 rounds and then it'll start getting interesting. He may even stretch it out to 30-06! Good to go!

:D

SIG552

P.S. Sprat, all joking aside, that rifle will probably kill you soon, but before that happens, please tell us how many rounds you fired before it all went south. Even create a sticky, like "Ol' Dirty". As you coathanger the rifle keep us up to date with the "progress". Pics would be nice too, but proper pics please.

why don't we start a pool.

we can all put in our specified number of rounds before his "rifle" blows up. say, 5 bucks per number.

i'll go with 254 rounds before KB.

:biggrin:

jay.sharkbait
July 16, 2007, 01:15
Hey

anyone know where I can get one of these castings?

bait

Hebrew Battle Rifle
July 16, 2007, 01:22
Originally posted by jay.sharkbait
Hey

anyone know where I can get one of these castings?

bait

They show up on gunbroker, auctionarms, and here in marketplace from time to time. They may even show up on ebay, but I don't know that for sure.

SIG552
July 16, 2007, 03:36
Yes, get lots of 70-80% receivers and make one of these:

SIG552

SIG552
July 16, 2007, 03:37
Or this one:

bykerhd
July 16, 2007, 10:28
The top chair looks really, really uncomfortable. The bottom one looks like it would be only quite, to very uncomfortable. Interesting as an industrial art exercise and something for a conversation piece. Not to my taste though.

CeeKay
July 18, 2007, 11:04
...I was trained by a euro smith to do locks...

So you're a locksmith who wants to build firearms??

As a person who has only stripped and reassembled one rifle in his life (M44), I can safely say that you are an idiot...

No headspacing, no heat treating, JB weld, coat hangers and duct tape!?

That thar ain't how ya be makin' a rifle, Bubba!

As for constructive criticism...

Yeah, I guess you deserve it if the thing accepts a barrel, magazine, cocks and fires... But then again... Inmates have been known to build .22lr single-shots out of bic pens... ;)

I will build my rifles with DSA/Imbel/CAI/etc receivers, not because I'm a "whimp" or I "don't know how to smith..." But because I'd rather have the reliability of a receiver built the way it was supposed to be, hardened the way it was supposed to be, and containing 100% steel (the way it's supposed to be... no JB Weld!)

I'd rather have a rifle that I can take out to the range and put 200 rounds downrange in a day without worrying about if my cobbled bullshit will fall apart or not.

And it's true, I don't know how to run a milling machine or exactly how the threads are supposed to go into a receiver... So, I'd rather have it done by someone like DSA or Imbel so that I know it's right, instead of "ohh, I gotta get the tap in there again and make the threads deeper... it's blowing JB weld off the receiver!"

5 bucks says he barreled it with two big vice grips... ;)

- CK

dhamlin
July 18, 2007, 14:28
Saw his ignorant posts at another site.......I never should have defended him....He IS an ASSHAT!

gunsmith_tony
July 18, 2007, 19:08
Look, gunsmiths were making locks, stocks, and barrels by hand looooong before lathes and mills were even conceived of. Most gunsmiths today, myself included, don't posses anywhere near that level of skill.
But we're not talking about a fancy Flint lock here. This is roughly 50,000+ PSI twelve inches from your face. Lady Luck's not going to let you play around with that too many times.

Windustsearch
July 26, 2007, 23:23
So whats to stop someone from chucking one of these things into a Paragon furnace and heat treating it?

goldenspurholderx2
July 27, 2007, 00:21
WOW! Either balls of steel or should be wearing a football helmet on the short bus! I'll take the latter since he doesn't even realize how stupid that was. It would have been different if he opened with "I was wearing a flak jacket and had a remote firing trigger that allowed me to stand behind a concrete wall while firing this thing to see what would happen when you try to blow up an un-heat treated, non-head spaced receiver."

If there was an FAL version of the TV show Jackass this guy would be Johnny Knoxville, that is NOT a compliment.

ALL FAL
July 27, 2007, 01:41
Ahh, be nice guy's, He is a True "FAL FILE ER" Hehehe..;)

lawdog1
July 27, 2007, 09:18

Constructive advice: Don't point your homemade gun (term used loosely) at your head when your fiddlin' the trigger with a coathanger! :biggrin:

cobrasks
July 27, 2007, 12:05
Tokyo Marui receiver anyone ?

Actually calibered in 6 mm .

That or a serious crack problem waiting
to solve itself.

Radio
July 27, 2007, 13:36
Glad this thread is still alive. Great entertainment to review it again.

I think 254 is far too generous. I'm in for 68.

--Radio

kennaquhair
July 27, 2007, 17:24
Originally posted by Windustsearch
So whats to stop someone from chucking one of these things into a Paragon furnace and heat treating it?How does one determine proper heat treatment with a run size of exactly one and all of those different mass distributions? Actually, he had supposedly lined up someone who understood heat treatment to do just that for him before he somehow lost focus and got to wondering whether it was even necessary. Somewhere the pressure exerted on the bolt face, to where it gets transferred, and what that means in a FAL receiver got lost on him. He may be a mean hand with a file and a vernier caliper, but that leaves him a dangerously long way from gunsmith.

thedrickel
July 27, 2007, 18:02
How are we going to know when he blows his face off? He won't be around to brag about it :(

jaykden
July 27, 2007, 18:30
Originally posted by thedrickel
How are we going to know when he blows his face off? He won't be around to brag about it :(

dang, i knew this pool was too good to be true.

has he even been around in awhile? maybe he has already blown it up and went to live with God?

:uhoh: :tongue: :rofl:

jaykden
July 27, 2007, 19:18
i know what you are saying, he was very ingenious doing what he did.

but still, considering the dangerous situation he created, he's the dumbest smart guy here.

Radio
July 27, 2007, 22:43
"vicious condescension and "jackal pack" attacks"

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

rochte
July 27, 2007, 23:32
You know, I've read and re-read this thread whenever I've had time to check the 'files lately (time rather limited of late) and I'm still in disbelief about the whole thing.

The guy posts about finishing his receiver, taking some (perhaps very stupid) risks in testing, but doesn't really give us enough detail to conclude much of anything other than the fact that he has chambered and fired a round in a home-finished receiver - and everyone here COMPLETELY trashes him.

Maybe we should ask more questions first? Perhaps he just sucks at relating the details of his build and his testing procedures?

The obnoxious responses in this thread almost make me embarrassed to be part of the 'files...

olsarg
July 28, 2007, 00:31
I have directions to take a piece of round steel stock. tap it 1 3/8 x 8( may be 1 3/8 x 6 count your threads) drill a hole in the middle of the cavatie for firing pin, make a spring loaded knob on a piece of drill rod. screw this on the end of a 50 bmg barrel after placing a round in the chamber till tight(head space). pull back and fire the weapon this will work you want to do it same can be done with a fal barrel. Would you do it? I have seen shoulder fired one shot rocket launchers using rockets from pod for hueys. one shot one gunner. the guy has some stuff here lets have some details. If no details or picture delete the posting.

thedrickel
July 28, 2007, 03:59
Rochte, have you read this thread:

It says he did NOT finish the receiver, but beveled an angle into the unhardened casting to simulate a LS. Would you really call that "finishing his receiver, taking some (perhaps very stupid) risks in testing"?? Seems to me it would have the same problem as an alumabomb, it will stretch into excessive headspace territory and kaboom big time, it is just a matter of time/rounds.

He hasn't updated the other thread about finishing the ejector block/LS: "the locking block and ejector will get drilled and pinned in the coming weeks" (July 09 2007). So what he has done is 80% finished a 40% receiver and test-fired it already.

If you know anything about FALs you'd have to have a death wish to do this.

rochte
July 28, 2007, 08:57
No, I haven't read his posts on the other forum yet (I tend not to stray too far from here).

I have to admit - if that's what he did (essentially grind a LS into the receiver and test fire before hardening), then it does seem rather idiotic. Will the receiver stretch? Of course. Will it fail on the first shot? Probably not. But why on earth would you want to "test fire" it like this anyway? Why not machine to spec, heat treat, find the right LS to set head space and then test fire?

If that's the real issue here, then I agree with most of those who have posted - but I wonder why these questions and comments couldn't be made in a civil manner. Perhaps the gentleman actually has a reason for what he did, but now we will probably never know.

IMHO, this thread now resembles something in DB much more than anything that should be in the Gunsmithing forum....

EdinKali
July 28, 2007, 11:00
Two words "natural selection".

nuff said

Powderfinger
July 28, 2007, 11:14
"Maybe he just wearied of all the vicious condescension and "jackal pack" attacks?"

sprat fired the first round of condescension in post # --.(I am home builder not some guy who buys a receiver from DSA or whoever and slaps together kit and call myself a builder thats the real joke)

Many thousands of safe FALs have been assembled by members here. Are we gunsmiths in the sense that we manufactured the receiver? No. There are hundreds if not thousands of bonafide gunsmiths in the US who never manufactured a receiver either, but are deserving of the title, gunsmith.

In post # -- he told us why he came here. (I have different screen names because I joined that site in 2002, and I joined this one recently looking for constructive advice. which I am not getting!!)

Despite a ton of constructive advice early on, he continued on with his ludicrous POV.

"The obnoxious responses in this thread almost make me embarrassed to be part of the 'files..."

Sometimes obnoxious thread starters require obnoxious responses to get through their thick skulls.
This semi-literate buffoon knows just enough to be dangerous and validating his experiment with praise is irresponsible.

I'm out.

Edited to remove unnecessary remark toward rochte.

Post # referrals invalid due to some deleted posts.

rochte
July 28, 2007, 11:48
No, Sprat didn't fire the first round in post #28 - the long-time members here started shooting in post #2. It then continued in #5-8 and picked up again at #10. It's been one long string of condescension since.

[Edited to remove unfriendly comments... ;)]

My only point is that we could have tried to engage this fellow in a truly constructive way - e.g., asking why he would attempt to fire in this condition and explaining (specifically) why it was a very bad idea.

I think his overall project is still quite fascinating, even if his "testing" methods are unsound (and potentially life-threatening).

I'd sure love to learn more about the techniques that he uses for hand working the metal, etc., but I really doubt that we'll ever hear about it after the welcome that we gave him. (He might also have made his head into a ball of goo by now, so no need for guilty feelings if we don't hear back from him....)

I'm out of this one now, too.

-R

gunsmith_tony
July 28, 2007, 13:22
Originally posted by rochte
...but I wonder why these questions and comments couldn't be made in a civil manner. Around here lately, civility has been a little scarce. But then...we are what we are.

jaykden
July 28, 2007, 21:07
i am not going to pat a guy on the back for building a rifle that WILL blow up SOONER, rather than later. killing or maiming himself, or someone else.

someone "building" a rifle should know better. the terms "headspace" and "heat treating" are common terms that everyone here knows about.

or should know about.

sprat
July 31, 2007, 09:39
rochte and tony

some folks can see the forest for the tree's,

yes! you all can attacked me wow do you feel better now. I love the comments ie: blow off my face, getting hurt, and for the other smith to say my comments make him ashamed. I sure he is good at fixing others peoples equipment and assembling their kits.
to the rest
Take a block of steel and a set of file's make a perfect square(cube) when you are done, then you can make negative comments on my skill level. because had you ever made a receiver or carved one out you wouldn't be making the comments your making

well this is america and you are entitled to your believes and spoken thoughts.

But remember! the art of personal destruction is practiced and prefected by the liberial/democratic party. so if you have taken a personal shot at me and you know who you are . this axiom applies to you.

in response to others with constructive comments

the receivers can be found at sturmgewher, gunboards, gunbroker. I placed a want ad on these three and other site's ak.net, ar.com, falfiles.com etc. I got ten offers back, I bought three, two century 70% receivers and a FAC 40% I resold the 40%. I paid no more than $ 45 for each, one receiver even came with plans.

I Installed the locking lug/pin and set the headspace, gonna range test her again with weak reloads (less than a commerical .308 round)under 40,000psi and pull the trigger by string or coat hanger. the raw cast receiver vs the FFL store bought receiver has a lot of meat around the chamber and barrel area. again with the weak reloads I don't expect the gas system to work properly.

then off to heat treatment

remember if you set your mind to it, you can do anything

sprat

dougjones31
July 31, 2007, 13:08
Man....you need to chill. Blasting longtime....knowledgable members is not the thing to do. I have not gone back and read all the posts in this thread to see who threw the first stone, but that is not needed.

If you have the ability to machine the receiver then surely you have a camera where you can take a picture of your work. I am sure there are people who are doubting you.....prove them wrong.

ggiilliiee
July 31, 2007, 14:01
dougibones talkin about bashing folk ??? ....dude your the poster child ..knowledgable ...ya rite ....you pros didnt even know how to line bore a barrel to have it actually shoot straight till 3 mnth ago ... ..also remember when touching sand paper to the rails was out of the question tony /gp.??..checking hammer follow on your unbelievably safe FSE trig groups .remember those ?....i could go for hours
not saying i agree but at least hes got some nads ....hell most of ya are afraid to work a rail even with sandpaper ..

without initiatve your just the guy with your thumb up yer ass .....

...cut him some slack

besides ive seen cammel jockeys with a cammel shit fired forge ...cammel pancreas for bellows and a string drill ..building AKs ...they seem to be working well in iraq .....aint no bridgeports there ill bet ....well except for abduhls all nite minimart n gun repair ..

ce
July 31, 2007, 14:24
Righton, ggiilliiee ggoorriilliiee, you brought innovation to the nation, you never played no procrastination, with your extreme level of imagination, you unveiled a brand new creation, and those who adhere to your indoctrination, never have to worry about stovepipe constipation.

Righton for you, too sprat, keep crankin' them cubes out, baby, nuttin' don't piss of the squares like a cube!

Hell, I heat treated a Century with nuthin' but some fart gas and a douchebag, even though I had a whole pile of camel dung ready to go, just in case.

Don't mess with that Rhino manure, though, that is some nasty shit, and it don't wash off.

Right on, my brothahs!

Right on.

ggiilliiee
July 31, 2007, 14:40
CE the confirmed KING OF PROSE ...you rock ...and roll ......all at the same time ...and i deny none of the above ....after all i am john brownings love child ....without me there would have been a movie bigger tha harry potter ......."DANCE OF THE POGO CLAN"......lots of sequals there ....:fal: :eek:

kennaquhair
July 31, 2007, 14:44
sprat, I missed a few steps prior to your last post and I didn't find them on the Roderus site. You haven't mentioned any barrel work (extractor cut, gas-block, barrel receiver threads, barrel shoulder), so I assume that you are using a barrel out of a kit. Where did your barrel time at after you cut the barrel threads deeper in the receiver, and what did you have to do to make it time properly? After that, how did you go about setting headspace? How are you maintaining locking shoulder alignment?

dougjones31
July 31, 2007, 15:54
Threads for the barrel should begin @ 12:00, but if you screw up a little on timing the threads, you can just use an inch barrel washer to make up for it, or mill the receiver face if you need to do that.

I am sure he is using a kit or surplus barrel. As far as maintaining locking shoulder alignment..........It is easy to find 90 degrees off of the centerline for the barrel hole. You just want it to be perpendicular to the bore. As far as drilling the hole for the LS and locating it.....well, you need to take close measurements.

gunsmith_tony
July 31, 2007, 20:03
Sprat...it's not WHAT your doing thats drawing criticism. At least not from me anyway. It's your premature and dangerous testing procedure that seems hard to fathom.
If you can finish a receiver casting using only hand tools and end up with a "SAFE" rifle...even a single shot, I'll be first in line to pat you on the back.

And ggiilliiee.....also remember when touching sand paper to the rails was out of the question tony /gp.??..
What the heck is that all about?

TexMac
August 01, 2007, 22:58
Still laughin'!:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Icarus
August 02, 2007, 02:56
sprat....SOMEBODY had to be the crash test dummy. You did it and lived. Good on ya mate.:D Seriously!

And you are right. No matter what, if a group of intelligent...or just...not stupid people....put their minds to it, they can make it work.

Look at the weapons built in the Phillipines in backyard work shops around election time. And I'm not talking about Charles Daley....just average joes with a few tools and a few parts.
:shades:

Radio
August 02, 2007, 11:21
Hey, the man is a Milburn Apt of rifle testing.

sprat
August 02, 2007, 20:06
Radio change the channel you have nothing constructive to say

range report

well I took the unheat treated century casing out again after setting the headspace. The first two shots were with weak 40,000psi .308 reloads again used a string to pull the trigger and guess what happened???

nothing

no blown receiver , no cracks, no movement of anykind, including the the gas system as the reloaded rounds were to weak as expected

then I loaded/shot two military 308 rounds as a proof load, only this time something happened!!!!

the gas system pushed that bolt carrier back and ejected the cartridge not once but twice. I then shot the rifle with the remaining 15 weak reloads, standing and in the gun rest. there are still a few quirks to work out. At this point a functional single shot rifle

I need to tap the bolt carrier and form a cocking handle, because the ejector is wedged into the receiver the mag feed is/was not perfect, mag feed problems I am to understand from the threads on falfiles are common with century receivers whether 100% or 70%

that Falfile post I saw that years ago but he didn't do it by hand tools, he used a milling machine and did a fine job including heat treating with he says he used a touch
any cut or files areas are cold blued and will be parkerized and duracoated

pictures are at homegunsmithing.com

Tony thank you for the health/safety concern also thank you for understanding the training and skill required. you were the only one to see this and relay it, but thats because you are a real smith. Question: how would you proof a barrel or muzzleloader, I'd venture to say not much different

sprat

NHBandit
August 03, 2007, 08:10
pictures are at homegunsmithing.com Got a link us dumbasses can click on ? www.homegunsmithing.com dosn't exist....

NHBandit
August 03, 2007, 08:27
Well after a bunch of searching I found this... http://www.homegunsmith.com/cgi-bin/ib3/ikonboard.cgi?;act=ST;f=3;t=16470 Is that you ?

rochte
August 03, 2007, 09:20
Sprat: Very glad to hear that it works - but I do have a question for you... Why not heat-treat before using full power .308 rounds? I don't understand how it can be safe (or even good for the long-term reliability of your receiver) to do otherwise... Have you an explanation for this? I *think* (and I may be wrong) that the usual production sequence, let's say for FN, is to machine receiver, heat treat, then proof. Yes, no? Or is there a difference here? (I think this is the issue that has freaked everyone out here - and I'm wondering about it, too....)

kennaquhair
August 03, 2007, 09:25
Link at: 80% fal rec hand build, By hand tools (http://www.homegunsmith.com/cgi-bin/ib3/ikonboard.cgi?;act=ST;f=20;t=17840)

Check post #28.

Radio
August 03, 2007, 09:59
Hey Splat, do you have any clue who Mel Apt was???

BTW it's not a "locking pin", it's a LOCKING SHOULDER.
They aren't "chamber threads", they are BARREL THREADS. A threaded chamber, wow!
It's not a "cocking handle", it's a CHARGING HANDLE.
It's not a "locking block", it's an EJECTOR BLOCK.
First, it's not a "gas valve", it's a GAS ADJUSTMENT RING. Second, what you are calling the "gas valve" is actually THE GAS TUBE NUT.
If you're going to "build" one, best to know the names of your parts, O European-trained "Smith".

BTW I wouldn not call 40,000psi "weak". Keep up the good work, Mel. That smoking hole is closer every day.

--Radio

kennaquhair
August 03, 2007, 12:32
Sprat, I'm not sure that I'm onboard with what I've been able to glean from your idea of tapping the carrier for a reciprocating charging handle. If you intend to use the FAL charging handle slot position, then you are cutting into the bolt carrier rail slot in the receiver. This is fine for the FAL charging handle design, but leaves you trying to tap the carrier in a very poor location.

It might be better to move the CH topside of the bolt carrier where there is more material to support a bolt hole. There are places in the upper portions of the bolt carrier where it looks as though you could tap a through hole without affecting carrier operation or integrity. Just stay out of the sight plane and keep the mass down. You would then have to modify the top-cover, slotting it to clear the CH. This might lead to a design in which you have to install the bolt, carrier and top cover all at the same time due to the protrusion of the CH through the top cover, but should provide a much more solid mounting.

If not simpler, milling the charging handle rail system as FN designed it seems a challenge, but does not seem beyond your capabilities. It might take a bit of thought.

ce
August 03, 2007, 14:04
Dear Mister Sprat,

It is most unfortunate that you have undertaken such an industrious enterprise without utilizing the priviledged information that I can make available to you for a nominal charge.

If you would be so kind as to send one thousand American dollars to my associate, a Mister Vincent Stufidfoquar, he will have our Gunsmithing Tape delivered to you in your cave in Doanunnerstan. This way you will not have to travel on the dangerous road to Rillyrillybad.

This is the ne plus ultra of Gunsmithing Tapes, a far superior tape than one commonly offered by T. Mark Graham, because his tape does not address the issues with which you are confronted presently.

For only one thousand American dollars, it is guaranteed that you will achieve enlightenment and satisfaction in your endeavor.

Waiting for the Sun,
The Lizard King

kennaquhair
August 03, 2007, 17:19
Sprat, after reviewing your posts on the Roderus site it sounds as though you got to the high position CH design before me. Earlier posts hadn't sounded as though you were headed that way. Good luck with it. Still would like to know what sort of issues, if any, you had timing the barrel and achieving headspace. Some detail on how you sited and milled the locking shoulder seat would be interesting.

sprat
August 03, 2007, 17:27
Kenne

I am going to remove the rivet in the back of the bolt carrier tap it then subsitute it with a charging handle. I have no intention of cutting out the charging slot. not building a true fn fal dsa, imbel etc nor am I building a squad rifle

rochte I would assume the normal procedure at the fn plant would be to manufacture and heat treat and then proof. for years I have been hearing how fragile these cast receivers are. I displelled that myth(urban legend) this is not to say that some of these receivers are weak I also did not machine or file of any excess metal. to convert these 70% castings, metal must be removed in the front and around the chamber and for a carry handle. I left all that metal and will leave it for the heat treatment I like the torch idea, first I have to solve the feeding problems

speaking of feeding problems

seems I am feeding the trolls on this site, the only site were the negative comments have continued and will continue. mommy should restrict your computer time

well off to have few beers and laugh at the jealous trolls, you know who you are

sprat

lawdog1
August 03, 2007, 19:47
I can only imagine what the finished product will look like. :eek:

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p305/dtaylor81/shovel_ak.jpg

Gazz
August 03, 2007, 21:50
That thing would make a great garden tool! Blast a hole to make a spot for the seed and weed with the bayonet! Powder residue would provide fertilizer as well.

thedrickel
August 04, 2007, 02:48
Can you explain what is going on in the ejector block area and why you mounted the ejector on the receiver and now have to [dremel the bolt] so it will feed and eject reliably?

http://www.homegunsmith.com/cgi-bin/ib3/iB_html/uploads/post-20-01111-Range_Fal_.jpg

http://www.homegunsmith.com/cgi-bin/ib3/iB_html/uploads/post-20-01272-Range_Fal_2.jpg

broncdarts
August 07, 2007, 13:14
Originally posted by Hebrew Battle Rifle
Anybody remember BigDuke60?

Whatever happened to him?

rynich
August 08, 2007, 18:56
This thread is the exact reason I don't post my Frankinguns on here, I still can't believe some of you are still ragging on him.
You could always use a different round that would allow it to be blow back, I'm working on something like that but in .223. Just step back and recheck your ideas and work from time to time so you don't hurt your self.
I like idea of having the charging handle attached to the bolt carrier.

SIG552
August 09, 2007, 03:31
Originally posted by rynich
I like idea of having the charging handle attached to the bolt carrier.

You better think that through carefully. Unless it's a floating kind (like a normal FAL CH) it is going to be moving very quickly indeed when the rifle cycles and if it comes off, it will damage your head and face most severly.

That too is the crux of this thread. While it may seem that people are being harsh on the thread starter, it is an inbread reaction to someone who posts (or should I say "boasts"?) about how he workshopped a FAL, dangerous enough for him to be pulling the trigger from a safe distance with a coat hanger. After that and I suspect after thanking Him, or whomever is up there, he triumphantly comes to the home of the FAL to show how clever he has been.

SIG552

Radio
August 09, 2007, 11:52
Exactly.

rochte
August 09, 2007, 12:26
"[blah blah blah] ...he triumphantly comes to the home of the FAL to show how clever he has been."

So now reciprocating bolt handles are dangerous and might kill us? Are you even allowed to tinker with a firearm in the Netherlands, let alone manufacture one??

Didn't think so.... :rolleyes:

SIG552
August 09, 2007, 14:29
Yes you are. In fact my FAL has a quick change barrel, one of only 2 in this country. If that isn't tinkering I don't know what is.

There too is nothing wrong with a reciprocating CH, I was merely pointing out that there are inherent dangers in making one. It is however in a different ball park to changing sights/handguards/stocks or flashiders. It is not something to play around with, that is what I was trying to point out.

A few months ago I probably wouldn't have taken the trouble, being overly impressed by the knowledge on this board, something I can only aspire to.

As of late however we have seen people who accept that butchering a FAL into service without taking the proper precautions is acceptable (even commendable) and that has changed my outlook entirely.

I figured that if we have that sort of tinkerer here too I might point out the dangers. Sorry if it offended you.

SIG552

rochte
August 09, 2007, 15:05
I do see your point - sorry for my less-than-nice post.

I just think that we've sufficiently flogged this fellow by now, whilst positively ignoring anything that he might have had to offer.

SIG552
August 09, 2007, 16:04
Agreed. :beer:

SIG552

TexMac
August 09, 2007, 18:18
Can you explain what is going on in the ejector block area and why you mounted the ejector on the receiver and now have to [dremel the bolt] so it will feed and eject reliably?

http://www.homegunsmith.com/cgi-bin/ib3/iB_html/uploads/post-20-04508-_MVC_925S.jpg

That's one thing I've been wondering about. One of the pictures buried within this heap (either here, or "there", no "there, or maybe "there", found it....), shows the ejector block pin holes drilled, but can't tell if the pins are actually there, and can't make out a definitive complete ejector block, but an obvious BHO and mag release. This must be a FA block. Holes..., block is cut for it..., yet a rigged ejector. Why bother? The use of an attached ejector on the inside of the receiver (in lieu of the ejector block) sounds pretty funky, and where exactly would you put it? What's the eject line on these rounds? Was the ejector missing from the recycled FA block?

J-B Weld? J-B Weld?!?!?

Yup, still laughin'..... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

jaykden
August 09, 2007, 18:52
ok, so what up with the LS? is he just using the receiver as the shoulder and not even cutting the slot out?

i can understand an AK style CH, but several things still have me wondering:

-where is the LS?

-why not use the ejector from the ejector block?

-how is the receiver being heat treated?

these are significant issues

rynich
August 14, 2007, 22:38
SIG552,
I see your point on a flying charging handle, bolt or bolt parts in the forehead is bad jujoo. I had seen a subcal version a few years ago I think it was Canadian that had the CH attached to the BC. I thought that was a good idea, at 50,000 psi I definitly want to make sure the design is solid. That has been the hard part for me. I have been looking at the idea and slotting the side for the CH is what I want to do. The hard part has been trying the visualize the the removal for cleaning etc... The only reason I'm thinking in this direction is to cut down on machining setup. I have 4 blanks that I would like to build into different calibers. So, I have been trying look at the steps that would be the least time consuming but still make the rifle very functional. Plus I just like making my frankinguns.
Like someone told me a long time ago "Well what ever you do just make sure you keep your eyes in your head"

lhofeld
August 17, 2007, 00:22
Been reading from time to time exspecially when I need a laugh. Sprat you are a darwin award canidate waiting to happen. Now as for the recipricating charging handle this is something I have thought about. As near as I can figure the best way to do it would be to modify a top cover and bolt carrier. Cut a slot in the top cover and then weld a charging handle to the bolt. This would allow for disassembly and be pretty much a drop in conversion. Any thought?

gene's nephew
August 24, 2007, 05:43
There is one thing I don't believe any of you have commented on:

If (when) all of our guns--not just the EBRs--are banned/turned in/confiscated, those of us who survive will initially only have the guns we can manufacture from scratch, or unfinished parts found in some old firearms factory scrap-pile. The skills exhibited by guys like sprat will not be scorned, they will be sought after and emulated. The time could even come when heat treating a receiver is the last thing on anyone's mind, because the use of a firearm brings swift retribution before the shooter can get off a full magazine.

Now don't start pegging me as one of those wild-eyed recluse gubmint-haters who is stashing ammo and arms for SHTF. (I love our gubmint as much as any of you.)

I am just pointing out that this guy is demonstrating a level of ingenuity and skill that few of us can match. He may be doing some really dumb things--yeah, he may be a candidate for the Darwin awards--but there is a lot we can learn from him.

I once saw an article in a magazine (Geographic, maybe?) that mentioned Pakistani gunsmiths (40 years ago, when Pakistan was neither accessible nor in the news) building firing copies of Enfield rifles and (I think) Webley revolvers by hand. I even recall a photo of a turbaned, baggy-pants-wearing dude holding a hunk of metal between his bare feet while whittling away at it. The article mentioned that the craftsmanship of some of these hand-made copies was good enough that they were indistinguishable from the originals. I would bet that these primitive mountaineers also knew a few things about heat treating.

My point is, rather than beating the crap out of sprat, those of you with sufficient skill should do all you can to educate AND encourage him, while the rest of us give a lot of thought to trying to developing some of the same type of skills in ourselves.

The day could come when we need all of these abilities.

elbo
August 24, 2007, 06:01
thank you, Sprat's shill.
He is the, possibily still, living example of Heinlein's defination of stupidity.

Scott V2
August 24, 2007, 11:17
[QUOTE]Originally posted by rynich
SIG552,
I see your point on a flying charging handle, bolt or bolt parts in the forehead is bad jujoo. I had seen a subcal version a few years ago I think it was Canadian that had the CH attached to the BC. I thought that was a good idea, at 50,000 psi I definitly want to make sure the design is solid. That has been the hard part for me. I have been looking at the idea and slotting the side for the CH is what I want to do. The hard part has been trying the visualize the the removal for cleaning etc... The only reason I'm thinking in this direction is to cut down on machining setup. I have 4 blanks that I would like to build into different calibers. So, I have been trying look at the steps that would be the least time consuming but still make the rifle very functional. Plus I just like making my frankinguns.
Like someone told me a long time ago "Well what ever you do just make sure you keep your eyes in your head" [/QUOT

Get ahold of a Beretta AR70. I owned one in a former life. The CH is attached to the bolt. I thought it was a good design

bykerhd
August 24, 2007, 12:10
I was handling one of the Century Galils yesterday. That straight up cocking handle seems like a darn good idea. Unless you have a scope I suppose.
A cocking handle like that on an FAL would be an improvement in my opinion.
Works for lefties or righties or whatever.

Radio
August 24, 2007, 15:48
And the gigantic hole through the middle, so you can have a sight picture, is particularly attractive. :rofl:

elbo
August 24, 2007, 18:38
A minor point.
The handle must be attached to the bolt carrier. You won't be able to move anything with a handle that's attached to the bolt.

broncdarts
August 24, 2007, 19:55
A minor point.
The handle must be attached to the bolt carrier. You won't be able to move anything with a handle that's attached to the bolt.

Details,details...............:cry:

gene's nephew
August 25, 2007, 17:33
Shill? you talkin' to me?

I bet if you go back a hundred years or so, the experiments of people like John Browning would positively horrify some of you people on the Darwin Awards Committee.

How many of you know how he first experimented with using the expanding gas from the burning powder to drive a rifle bolt/breechblock mechanism? How many of you know how Mel Johnson fashioned his first semi-auto rifle prototype?

And what's with the disdain for the cocking handle (or maybe an operating rod) being attached to/reciprocating with the bolt or bolt carrier ? There are a ton of venerable firearms designs which have a reciprocating cocking handle. Do I have to name them for you guys who have no familiarity with any firearm other than your FAL?

Radio
August 25, 2007, 18:22
Yessir, new fellow, please educate us. Why, probably most of us have never seen ANYTHING other than our FALs, we're a rather backwoods bunch, ya know. You mean they MADE rifles other than our beloved FALs?

On another subject, inmates make "guns" out of pens. Care to put one in your hand and shoot it?? In desperate times, people take desperate measures. Also in such times they usually aren't all that concerned about their survivability using these weapons... their future options are already rather low, and death pretty much seems certain sooner rather than later. These AREN'T such times. Kudos to Splat for being able to craft something that could actually shoot a round, but he gets no honors for the ill-advised, dangerous course he took... which is the true argument against him from this board, as I see it.

--Radio

SIG552
August 26, 2007, 08:56
Originally posted by gene's nephew

And what's with the disdain for the cocking handle (or maybe an operating rod) being attached to/reciprocating with the bolt or bolt carrier ? There are a ton of venerable firearms designs which have a reciprocating cocking handle. Do I have to name them for you guys who have no familiarity with any firearm other than your FAL?

The disdain was born when people started taking this guy and this thread seriously. We now had precedent in making FAL rifles without the age old, tried and tested methods of eliminating the possible dangers associated with making a complete working rifle from parts.

My 'disdain' was merely a word of caution to him who wanted to try and make a reciprocating CH. Suggesting that FALfiles members need prompting (a list even?) on proven rifles with a reciprocating CH is rather insulting to be honest.

SIG552

Speedfish
August 26, 2007, 09:16
When I first read that someone had the gumption to fashion an FAL from a Century receiver casting using only hand tools I was thrilled. I too once dreamt about taking Century inch receivers and finishing them into ~true inch receivers using only hand tools, but then I grew wise and sold them to CE. However, after reading about his testing methods, the risks that he took, and the abomination that he intends to create I am completely disheartened by this experiment.

elbo
August 26, 2007, 13:50
Originally posted by gene's nephew
absolutely
I bet if you go back a hundred years or so, the experiments of people like John Browning would positively horrify some of you people on the Darwin Awards Committee.
Actually, I'm from the future. Dr Who wouldn't let me back in the phone box, so I'm rather stuck here.
How many of you know how he first experimented with using the expanding gas from the burning powder to drive a rifle bolt/breechblock mechanism? How many of you know how Mel Johnson fashioned his first semi-auto rifle prototype?
Conservative guess on this sight 98-99%
And what's with the disdain for the cocking handle (or maybe an operating rod) being attached to/reciprocating with the bolt or bolt carrier ? There are a ton of venerable firearms designs which have a reciprocating cocking handle. Do I have to name them for you guys who have no familiarity with any firearm other than your FAL? No distain for recriprocating charging handle. Distain is for taking a 70% casting to 80% and calling it done and firing it.

fire function

I loaded 1 weak reload into the chamber. pulled the bolt catch and she locked up fine, with a coathanger and gun rest. I pulled trigger and low and behold no blown receiver, no cracks no deforms of any kind and I didn't loose any JB

As of now I am the only person to have built a 70% FN FAL to fire function on all the sites I have checked

good luck with your castings

sprat

Which part reminded you of John Browning. The JB I'll bet.

lhofeld
August 26, 2007, 14:47
gene's nephew

First I find it interesting that you are comparing this guy to Browning. Browning was a genius this guy borders on stupid. I also do not believe and I may get corrected that Browning ever back enginieered something into an abortion like sprat created. And as for manufacturing our own I am sure most of us could turn out tube guns that would function safely rather easily. I think a Sten gun could be easily made with in a matter of a few days initially to several a day once the pattern was down and that is starting from scratch. And I can probably safely say for all of us that we do not mind inovation. Stupid howerever is a different matter and trying to promote more stupidity and then defending it gets the reaction you see here.

gene's nephew
August 26, 2007, 17:53
You are all making valid points--except, if you go back the the FIRST post I made, it's hard to see how you could say I am PROMOTING or DEFENDING stupidity.

Nope, I said you should EDUCATE and encourage sprat, rather than merely taking lots of cheap shots. And that more of us need to get out of our CNC, blueprints, mega-shop modes of thinking how a firearm MUST be built, and consider what is possible with just simple tools.

ok, enough with the all-caps. just my opinions. got to go to work now, or i would stick around for the replies. thanks.

Andy the Aussie
August 26, 2007, 18:33
:cool: :cool:

combat engineer
August 26, 2007, 19:03
No dog in this discussion, but is this thread ever going to die? How long can this be talked about before everyone runs out of things to say? Nice pic there Andy.

lhofeld
August 26, 2007, 21:33
Nice Andy, Do you have any close ups of the bolt set up?

Andy the Aussie
August 26, 2007, 21:48
Sorry mate we only snapped a couple of pics but the rifle has a charging handle on BOTH sides. One in the normal L1A1 position and this one attached directly to the carrier. It never got past experimentation.

Andy

Cofaler
August 27, 2007, 21:28
Interesting idea, Andy. Being a left-handed shooter having the charging handle on the right side of my FALs would be handy. I would like to see some clos-ups of the bc too. A concern I would have is the potential whipping effect the reciprocating motion of the bc would have on the folding handle. (All this would happen a couple inches directly in front of my nose). I shoot my M1s a lot and people ask how I can stand the op-rod being right in front of my face. To be honest, I've never seen it.

As far as Sprat goes, there's not much I can say that hasn't already been said. I think it's great that he has the focus and persistance to take on a project like this (I don't). All my 'builds', M1919s, FALs, AKs, and Galils were built on 100% receivers. His methods and attitude toward testing scare me. Two phrases come to mind, please don't hammer me if I don't get them verbatum.

"A man's got to know his limitations"

"Fools rush in where angels fear to tread"

It has been an entertaining read....

Radio
August 27, 2007, 22:28
Good for you! The phrases are correct.

Except, the word is "verbatim" :o

--Radio :wink:

CReid
November 14, 2007, 06:12
I'm actually shocked by the amount of jealousy in this thread. Most of the people in this thread either sent parts off to be assembled or at most assembled some parts. This guy has built one of the harbest to build receivers ever designed. He made some mistakes testing the receiver, most significantly the head spacing. But he called himself on that. Some are too ignorant to understand this, but building a receiver from a casting isn't very different from building a receiver out of a block of steel. Yet really ignorant, jealous fools believe attacking someone for their terminology somehow proves their personal expertise. Not only that, but making personal attacks basically calling the poster a liar. Funny thing one thing I always believed members of this community bad or tried to was honor. There is been a stunning lack of honor in these posts. Yes radio and friends I'm questioning your honor.

what I find really amusing is that most of these critics could barely put together a rifle with manufactured parts, a video, and written instructions but consider themselves experts, Smiths, etc.

You might all consider that without people doing exactly the kind of thing this poster did, this site would not exist. This hobby would not exist. There are a large number of people, among them the engineers, machinists, and weapons designers do not only did say this hobby is dangerous or shouldn't be done or even that it's impossible, but still do.
this sort of person is why our armed technology rarely ever advances. There've only been or more five major advancements in the last hundred and 40 years because of this timid, uncreative, fear and jealousy based thinking.

At the end of the day, this guy built a functioning fa receiver scratch. With hand tools. That is a stunning accomplishment . And for anyone to deride it says a lot more about the smallness of their nature than it does this poster.

elbo
November 14, 2007, 07:44
Originally posted by CReid
I'm actually shocked by the amount of jealousy in this thread. Most of the people in this thread either sent parts off to be assembled or at most assembled some parts. This guy has built one of the harbest to build receivers ever designed. He made some mistakes testing the receiver, most significantly the head spacing. But he called himself on that. Some are too ignorant to understand this, but building a receiver from a casting isn't very different from building a receiver out of a block of steel. Yet really ignorant, jealous fools believe attacking someone for their terminology somehow proves their personal expertise. Not only that, but making personal attacks basically calling the poster a liar. Funny thing one thing I always believed members of this community bad or tried to was honor. There is been a stunning lack of honor in these posts. Yes radio and friends I'm questioning your honor.

what I find really amusing is that most of these critics could barely put together a rifle with manufactured parts, a video, and written instructions but consider themselves experts, Smiths, etc.

You might all consider that without people doing exactly the kind of thing this poster did, this site would not exist. This hobby would not exist. There are a large number of people, among them the engineers, machinists, and weapons designers do not only did say this hobby is dangerous or shouldn't be done or even that it's impossible, but still do.
this sort of person is why our armed technology rarely ever advances. There've only been or more five major advancements in the last hundred and 40 years because of this timid, uncreative, fear and jealousy based thinking.

At the end of the day, this guy built a functioning fa receiver scratch. With hand tools. That is a stunning accomplishment . And for anyone to deride it says a lot more about the smallness of their nature than it does this poster.

Slow down, put your thoughts together, try to speak in complete sentences.

lawdog1
November 14, 2007, 08:47
Blah, blah, blah...........................the saga continues.:sleep:

CReid
November 14, 2007, 16:55
Sorry that was to complicated for you elbo. I'll try to speak slower and use smaller words next time.o

jaykden
November 14, 2007, 17:20
some things should just be left buried.

look at this link. this is how i see sprat:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Hahn

very gifted but lacking common sense. (sprat could build a complicated reciever with hand tools, but lacked the common sense regarding heat treating and headspacing).

English Mike
November 14, 2007, 19:50

Don't talk bollocks mate - MOST of the serious comments came from members who have a LOT of experience behind them.

Would YOU stick your face next to a hand whittled, non heat treated receiver?

I wouldn't want to be anywhere near Sprat's creation when he fired it.

tac556-1
November 15, 2007, 04:42
Sprats headspacing method is substandard, even for the "2 pieces of tape on the back of the cartridge" crowd.

And his "proof" cartridge is a standard loaded round? I guess he doesn't understand what a proof cartridge really is for...

Guy's gonna hurt himself.

Innovation is good, but he reminds me of the guy who drives a car with no brakes....

John Browning wouldn't let a guy like Sprat anywhere near his shop, he'd be afraid he'd break something!

elbo
November 15, 2007, 10:16
"Slow down, put your thoughts together, try to speak in complete sentences."
I'm actually shocked by the amount of jealousy in this thread. Most of the people in this thread either sent parts off to be assembled or at most assembled some parts. This guy has made one of the hardest to manufacture receivers ever designed. He made some mistakes testing the receiver, most significantly the head spacing, but he called himself on that. Some are too ignorant to understand this, but machining a receiver from a casting isn't very different from machining a receiver out of a block of steel. Yet really ignorant, jealous fools believe attacking someone for their terminology somehow proves their personal expertise. Not only that, but they made personal attacks basically calling the poster a liar. Funny, -(thing) one thing I always believed members of this community had, or tried to have, was honor. There has been a stunning lack of honor in these posts. Yes, Radio and friends I'm questioning your honor.

What I find really amusing is that most of these critics could barely put together a rifle with manufactured parts, a video, and written instructions but consider themselves experts, smiths, etc.

You might all consider that without people doing exactly the kind of thing this poster did, this site would not exist. This hobby would not exist. There are a large number of people, among them, the engineers, machinists, and weapons designers, who not only did say this hobby is dangerous, or shouldn't be done, or even that it's impossible, but still do. This sort of person is why our weapons technology rarely ever advances. There've only been -(or more) five major advancements in the last hundred and 40 years because of this timid, uncreative, fear and jealousy based thinking.

At the end of the day, this guy fashioned a functioning FAL receiver from a casting, with hand tools. That is a stunning accomplishment, and for anyone to deride it says a lot more about the smallness of their nature than it does about this poster.

Sorry that was too complicated for you elbo. I'll try to speak slower and use smaller words next time.-(o)
The best uncomplicating I could manage.
Just try to hit the keys you're aiming for. Your logic speaks for itself.
You're fun.

Radio
November 16, 2007, 18:20
kev R.I.P.

elbo You are not the first person to have done it. You may be the first to have done it wrong.

JoeLad I call dibs on the rest of your guns when your CIA bomb does you in.

strobothnian I do believe this is the "nuttiest" post I have ever read here on the files! Is it real?

Radio The "coathanger and rifle rest" part was the only intelligent portion of the post.

NHBandit See you at the Darwin awards....

gunsmith_tony You're a "smith"? Are you F'ing serious?

hockeysew If my calender didnt say different, I would say it is April Fools.... Sheeesh!

juanni You don't need a machine shop full of tools to jam a bolt, carrier, barrel and locking shoulder in a Tapco casting. But a fully functioning, reliable and durable reciever with hand tools and without the "jb weld".......... Well that is a whole nuther story. I will be waiting for that whopper.

Conju Your posts make my head hurt...

Radio Your English is so poor, your photography is so laughable, and you so blithely ignore the most basic of safety standards, that I really wonder just what you're trying to accomplish with this thread.

ostrobothnian OK. The first post still confuses me (kind of like gggiilllieee speak).

AndyC This is like watching a really spectacular car-crash about happen in slow-mo. I'm keeping Darwin Awards on speed-dial...

jaykden HAHAHAHAHAHAHA you are equating your "disaster" with a beretta hand made shotgun? you are hilarious.

Powderfinger (quote: Originally posted by sprat) What's yer point, asshat?
And that's just Page One.

Don't know exactly why I got singled out by CReid as there was PLENTY of sober criticism by other people, but there must simply be something special about me that elevates me far above the common crowd... yah shoor, it's my Swedish blood, you betcha, yah.

In another thread some member gave a detailed technical reply to a question, maybe Azrial, I can't remember who exactly... I had not even posted in that thread... and the original poster said, "Thanks, Radio"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*shrug* :rofl:

jaykden
November 16, 2007, 20:49
hey, thats not fair, i want some of the glory too

:rofl:

kennaquhair
November 16, 2007, 23:19
Sprat's last post in his thread on the Roderus site was Aug 2, after having fired two rounds of milsurp from a tied down rifle at the end of a string. It pretty much matches his Aug 2 post in this thread.

The thing that I find frustrating about most of these "I dremeled a working rifle out of a nugget of meteoritic iron" threads is that they tend to end long before anyone is standing under the rifle on a firing line. They always make me wonder whether the builder ran into something interesting or debilitating. Sprat's Aug 2 post asserts that he fired the rifle standing with reloads light enough to not operate the gas system. Points given - the man has or had a pair.

Sprat did a number of interesting things on his documented journey. I don't know that I'm willing to give him full points for having produced a working FAL receiver. Sprat indicated that this was not his goal. It was apparent that he was bright, knew how to use a vernier caliper, and knew well how to use files. At the end of his thread, he had produced a single shot rifle of unknown quality from a FAL receiver casting that was capable of extracting the round fired. Guys get more than that functionality with STEN kits on a regular basis. A working FAL receiver and what he had produced are not quite the same things and a casting is a very long way from a block of steel (ask ORF). At the time of his last post, he had still not permanently fixed the ejector block. He did not have reliable magazine feed. He did not have any way of retracting the bolt. He was still fiddling with the gas system. He would not go into how he had established barrel timing or headspace after determining that he had to cut the receiver threads deeper, and provided no pics of the barrelled receiver without dress. His casting must have been remarkably regular to have hogged out the receiver bore with a wheel cylinder hone. We have no idea whether his creation will operate properly as a semi-automatic rifle or for how long if it ever has. He provided neither pics nor description of how he located and milled the locking shoulder seat with a hand drill and a dremel nor of his locking shoulder installation. It would have been instructive to have been able to see a fired cartridge case (I'd have settled for either one). Frankly, I don't know what he ended up with. It wasn't a fully functional FAL receiver at the time that he stopped posting and it mystifies me that some will give him credit for one on the evidence provided.

We've read posts on Century built rifles whose barrels could be turned out by hand once the gas tube had been removed. They too fired rounds. And it is interesting how many problems folk run into trying to make a rifle run from parts kits and commercial receivers. What is the likelyhood that a bright, talented guy with a casting, a vernier caliper, a set of files, a dremel and a hand drill is going to "manufacture" a spec receiver? Our imaginations say "why not?" But Sprat ends his thread before we get to know. As for me, that is a very frustrating thing. His thread opens with a declaration of victory in a battle never fought over ground never contested. Then we get to follow him past lunacy to the point where it starts to get interesting ... and the thread just drops dead. He was on his own journey and while he was given plenty of flak here, he also seemed dismissive of those who had been over the ground before him - apparently on the basis that they had driven rather than walked it. I hope that he made it in one piece.

green1
November 17, 2007, 19:38
Well said!!

Cofaler
November 17, 2007, 23:23
I wish Sprat would post and bring his loyal public up to date.... I hope he is still able to.

SHARPSHOOTER
November 20, 2007, 03:08
Actually I am thinking the next post will be a close friend or relative making an announcement for memorial services and internment(closed casket).People generally do not like looking at heavily disfigured cadavers due to a serious misunderstanding of firearms construction and headspace.

Cofaler
November 20, 2007, 06:50
Aw, it might not be that bad, especially if he beafed up his safety program a little. If he used two coathangers instead of just one and stood behind cover, he would probably be fine, or maybe Mythbusters would let him use their blast room...