PDA

View Full Version : 7.62 and .308 in a FAL?

Conju
July 06, 2007, 15:08
Can it be done? I was reading an interesting article on how the two cartridges are NOT the same, and the article went sofar as to cover headspacing dimensions and the differences between them. Then I stumbled upon this piece of information:

7.62x51mm NATO Go 1.6355"
308 Winchester No Go 1.634"

So the way i interperet this means that there is no SAFE common ground for the two cartridges, but the 1.6355 Dimension clearly conflicts with this statement in the same article:

7.62x51mm NATO maximum cartridge headspace 1.633

And the article goes on to state this:

7.62x51mm NATO minimum cartridge headspace 1.630
.308 Winchester maximum cartridge headspace 1.633

Which clearly says that there is SAFE common ground between the two cartridges, leading me to believe that a headspace of 1.631 in a FAL would be a number in which most cartridges (with the exception of incredibly long NATO ammo) would work fine

Long story short I want to build a rifle that will work safely with both cartridges, and need some input. I need to buy some gauges and was thinking of getting a .308 NO GO gauge and a 7.62 Go gauge in order to find a common headspace that will work well, but this article has made me unsure that those gauges will work.

Can someone with experience here give me a definite answer, with a good explanation as to why this will or will not work? Thanks!

Article:

http://carnival.saysuncle.com/002453.html

rq375
July 06, 2007, 15:18
I have shot both factory .308 and surplus 7.62 in several DSAs and Imbels and never had a problem. I have also shot a bunch of handloads that were resized with .308 dies and never had a problem. The FAL action tends to size brass to fit on its own.

Conju
July 06, 2007, 15:39
Okay so lets look at it from this angle....

Am I going to severely shorten the life of my .308 brass for reloading with a 1.630-1.634 headspace?

Powderfinger
July 06, 2007, 15:42
7.62 and .308 Win in an FAL?
Short answer, Yes.
The piece of info you stumbled upon compares a NATO Go gauge dimension (which is in error according to the British headspacing sticky in this forum) and a .308 Winchester No Go.
The NATO Go is actually 1.6325 in. and the .308 Win. Go is 1.630.
The minimum NATO GO length is .0015 shorter than the .308 Win No Go dimension of 1.634.
There is safe common ground between the 2, but not much. If an FAL is headspaced to 1.633, you will have the best of both worlds before reaching the Field reject dimension for .308 Win. due to wear. Read that many thousands of rounds.
Buy a GO and NO GO of the same type. No need to buy 1 type of each i.e. .308 and 7.62

Of course this is just MHO. This has been bashed about here on the Files for 7 years or so.

Edited again for clarity.

ce
July 06, 2007, 15:50
The only suitable ammunition is late production from India.

After exhaustive testing at the Ordnance Factory Vaginapoontang, each and every cartridge is loaded to a different overall length, running the gamut from 1.630 to 1.634, thus allowing for accomodation in any chamber of any rifle.

You will be pleased with the results.

Yes, very, very pleased, the shooting will be a most pleasurable experience.

Especially when shooting at Pakistanis.

ce
July 06, 2007, 16:36
That is a gallon of Lubricant, L2A1, Boner.

It must be vigorously applied to all moving parts.

They are testing it on the Streetsweeper MKII, in anticipation of actually getting a street. It is a major improvement over the previous model, the Dirtsweeper, MKI

Very progressive, for Pakistan.

Radio
July 06, 2007, 16:49
Notice the fresh patch in the brick wall, and the handy mess of spare bricks conveniently stacked in front. These spare bricks are frequently needed because none of those people know how to aim, which is proven by the gentleman in the foreground demonstrating a 400-yard hold on a 35-yard weapon. Do not think he is trying to bring down dinner, as it is too hot to fly (air density-vs-wing area) and local residents prefer the taste of rodents anyway. Fidel is bent over because he used a bit too much Boner, which was unfortunately absorbed into his system through the skin.

--Radio

Powderfinger
July 06, 2007, 17:03
Radio,
Good eye! :rofl:

brownknees
July 06, 2007, 21:48
Can it be done?
Shorter than short answer.
YES
I mix n' match both types with no issues at all.
I also reload both types with no changes to the resizing part of the process.
Powder, yep, you need to allow for reduced volume because of the thicker case. Other than that & minor stuff like removing crimped primers they are fully, completely, and utterly interchangable.

So what sized shoes do the putative angels need to be wearing to dance on the head of a pin?

Seriously, quit worrying about it. It's not an issue in the real world. Some Internet "experts" have been dragging this poor dead horse out of its (shallow) grave for ever.

Watch what hppens next.

5.56mm & .223 ammo are not interchangable. You have to use .223 in a mini 14 and 5.56mm in an M16.
:rofl:
If you have an mini 16 then you HAVE to use .223 bullets in 5.56mm cases.

Fn/form
July 06, 2007, 21:58
Originally posted by ce
That is a gallon of Lubricant, L2A1, Boner.

It must be vigorously applied to all moving parts.

They are testing it on the Streetsweeper MKII, in anticipation of actually getting a street. It is a major improvement over the previous model, the Dirtsweeper, MKI

Very progressive, for Pakistan.

LMFAO Thanks for that.

I have visited Pak, from Islamabad to the Karakorams. It's something else to see big screen TVs, heroin and grenades all for public sale in a 100sq ft of each other...

Not an FAL in sight at any time and definately no questions about .308 vs. 7.62 NATO. A lot of HK and Russian stuff, tho.

-josh

ostrobothnian
July 06, 2007, 22:10
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k152/finlandssvensk/anim_horse.gif

vmtz
July 06, 2007, 22:27
FYI, I only get 17 loading from my steel cased ammo, but it is not in a CETME, but a G3. :devil:

Vince

rq375
July 07, 2007, 12:49
paki boners are easily delt with using the trusty cold steel kukri...

Radio
July 07, 2007, 14:56
...or that young boy in the BG might come in handy, if no sheep are available.

Pluskat
July 12, 2007, 01:33
Oh no no no.....go on away from here with that nonsense you are telling me.

And Mogli....please to take your penis out of the sacred cow.

You there, get your mouth off of the slurpee machine.....the slurpee machine must now be sterilized using three similar, but totally seperate methods. You will please now stay OUT of my store!