PDA

View Full Version : Aluminium Rcvr Wrench Plate thickness


phillip
July 05, 2007, 11:51
Does it matter that my aluminium rcvr wrench is 1 inch thick vs 3/4 inch thick?Ive seen two drawings,One was 3/4 and the other was1" stock milled down to 3/4" about 2/3 of the way.

bookertbab
July 05, 2007, 12:06
I have one made by Casey Elliot that is about 1/2" thick and it works just fine for me.

phillip
July 05, 2007, 12:16
Is 1" too thick?

jerrymrc
July 05, 2007, 12:26
Originally posted by phillip
Is 1" too thick?

Might be. If you are using a barrel vise you should be OK but if you are using something to hold or turn the flats it maybe too wide. The profile on the front of the receiver tapers up and in order to keep it on the flat part on the upper right hand side it will I believe overlap the front of the receiver.

Mine is 1/2" 6061.

phillip
July 05, 2007, 12:32
Ill be using a B-vice.

Radio
July 05, 2007, 19:58
The profile on the front of the receiver tapers up and in order to keep it on the flat part on the upper right hand side it will I believe overlap the front of the receiver.
Not if the inside of the receiver wrench has been properly contoured.

My Casey Elliot is steel... I didn't know he ever made one in aluminum.

--Radio

jerrymrc
July 05, 2007, 21:34
Originally posted by Radio

Not if the inside of the receiver wrench has been properly contoured.

My Casey Elliot is steel... I didn't know he ever made one in aluminum.

--Radio

That is true about the contour. Mine is and I have no problems. I made it myself.

C-ya
July 05, 2007, 22:13
Originally posted by jerrymrc


Might be. If you are using a barrel vise you should be OK but if you are using something to hold or turn the flats it maybe too wide. The profile on the front of the receiver tapers up and in order to keep it on the flat part on the upper right hand side it will I believe overlap the front of the receiver.

Mine is 1/2" 6061.

What he said. I used the drawing from http://gunthings.com/ and they show 3/4" thick. I also made mine out of 1/2" 6061 and I have had no trouble barreling my rifle or removing the stub from a friend's kit. I made a handle like they show, but I have used it clamped in a vise both times, so the handle has gone unused.

ratas calientes
July 05, 2007, 22:30
I make mine from 1/2-inch steel. You can probably go a little thicker, depends on how well it fits onto the front of a receiver. Do you have a receiver available? Take a look and see how much room you have to work with. Without pulling out a rifle from the safe, I am pretty sure you can go a little thicker. It can also depend on how you clamp the two halves together. You probably don't want to tap aluminum, too easy to strip threads, so through holes with bolts / nuts should work just fine. What you have lying around might also decide what you use. It you have a piece of 3/4-inch plate available, make it work. http://chilirat.com/emoticons/chilirat.gif

ratas calientes
July 05, 2007, 22:32
Originally posted by Radio
. . .
My Casey Elliot is steel... I didn't know he ever made one in aluminum.

--Radio I don't think Casey used aluminum, but a few other folks here made some aluminum ones a few years ago. http://chilirat.com/emoticons/chilirat.gif

phillip
July 05, 2007, 22:43
I got my steel plate(.50) for my vise and the alum plate(1") for the wrench at the same mach shop. Thats all they had was 1".If i HAVE to, Ill take my alum plate back and have it milled to .75.I would have made it from steel ,But with basic shop tools to work with,I chose alum.BTW, I just found a piece of magnesium plate(about 20"x 30"x.50) too bad that wouldnt work.

phillip
July 05, 2007, 22:51
Originally posted by ratas calientes
I make mine from 1/2-inch steel. You can probably go a little thicker, depends on how well it fits onto the front of a receiver. Do you have a receiver available? Take a look and see how much room you have to work with. Without pulling out a rifle from the safe, I am pretty sure you can go a little thicker. It can also depend on how you clamp the two halves together. You probably don't want to tap aluminum, too easy to strip threads, so through holes with bolts / nuts should work just fine. What you have lying around might also decide what you use. It you have a piece of 3/4-inch plate available, make it work. http://chilirat.com/emoticons/chilirat.gif


Unforteunately,I dont have a rcvr to study.However ,It wont be long and one will be here.Then maybe Ill leave yall alone for a little while and let you get some rest from my "starter questions".:D :D

AndyC
July 05, 2007, 23:02
Originally posted by phillip
Then maybe Ill leave yall alone for a little while and let you get some rest from my "starter questions".:D :D
Pssssst, fellers...

When he comes back - let's all hide... :wink: :D

NHBandit
July 05, 2007, 23:16
Originally posted by Radio

Not if the inside of the receiver wrench has been properly contoured. Built around 20 FALs so far with this one. It's 1" aluminum plate. Took about an hour to make using a jig saw & a Dremel. Make sure the contact points don't squash the gas tube hole or the charging handle slot when you tighten it. The wrench shouldn't touch those areas at all. The 2 halves are bolted together with coutersunk Allen head bolts.

NHBandit
July 05, 2007, 23:20
Like this...

phillip
July 06, 2007, 08:13
Thanks again Guys:bow:

prosecond
July 06, 2007, 08:49
I made one out of 3/4" aluminum and have built about 12 fals with it. It tried and inch receiver and had problems. I taped the bolt holes with no problems.

bookertbab
July 06, 2007, 13:16
Originally posted by Radio

Not if the inside of the receiver wrench has been properly contoured.

My Casey Elliot is steel... I didn't know he ever made one in aluminum.

--Radio

Yes he did offer them in aluminum. I have one.

ratas calientes
July 06, 2007, 18:00
Some folks like to remove barrels and stubs with a steel receiver wrench, and use an aluminum one to install. I guess it reduces the chances of marking up a fresh receiver with the wrench.

The cost of steel is also less than aluminum. http://chilirat.com/emoticons/chilirat.gif

C-ya
July 06, 2007, 22:09
Nah, the aluminum ones mark a recvr. I forgot to tape my recvr (or wrench, depending on what floats yer boat), so I have some nice shiny metal on it where the recvr wrench went.

HankC
July 08, 2007, 08:50
Nah, the aluminum ones mark a recvr. I forgot to tape my recvr (or wrench, depending on what floats yer boat), so I have some nice shiny metal on it where the recvr wrench went.

The shiny metal may be just aluminum, you can use steel wool and cold blue to remove the mark and it blend well if the receiver is parked.

C-ya
July 09, 2007, 12:31
Hmm... I'll have to check that. Thanks!

BTW, took the ole girl out on Sat. and ran about 40 rounds thru while adjusting the rear sight. She ran Indian, Argentine and Winchester .308 SP ammo w/o a hiccup. Took a while to find the Winchester brass, tho!