PDA

View Full Version : US FAL $$$ VS IMPORT

phillip
July 04, 2007, 20:16
As I sit here reading my FAL build tutorial work book,I get to the "parts evaluation" section. Obviously,DSA makes top notch quality products.My question is,Would an FAL with alot more US/DSA parts be worth more money than an FAL without those US/DSA parts, I.E. import parts?It also seems that it would be ALOT easier to build using DSA parts.

Deltaten
July 04, 2007, 20:39
phillip:

Deciding on the balance of $$ vs imported parts, one must decide just how cheap ya wanna be ;)

SOme parts *may* be worth more. DSA does have the advantage of being recognized throughout the FAL community as the premier purveyor of rifles and parts.
Such as it is, that is a reputation hat might be considered too costly in comparison to ther's 922 parts. A vertable plethora of recognized parts are available and can command the same priices as DSA in a build.
What you must do is detrmine the value and cost to YOU!

FSE, Ironwood Designs, DCI and others market US made compliance parts. I know of no one in the FAL USA maerket that doesn't recognize them as fine,even premium parts.

It's only when questionable parts and services are used that the dollar value is reduced. Using , say; an Ironwood set, US rcvr, A Blood of Tyrants re-formed bbl and an FSE CH leaves room to use the original HTS..say Steyr, and everyone knows that those are great!..so what's the loss by using in-spec, original parts?

Your call tho..
Paul

W.E.G.
July 04, 2007, 20:52
Originally posted by phillip
It also seems that it would be ALOT easier to build using DSA parts.

Can you explain why you believe that?

phillip
July 04, 2007, 21:06
The "lesser quality" rcvrs and parts require more fit and finish due to cast marks mostly(it seems).Keep in mind this is my first build(or assembly)Of a Weapon of any type.Im not versed in the tricks of the trade so to speak.

chromestarhustler
July 04, 2007, 21:17
do you plan on selling it?. i have several nice guns, and i banged the 200 yd gong all day using a hesse reciever, a x series stock (which the thugs made fun of), a penguin handguard, and fse hts and a nice factory imbel barrel from a excellent kit shortened by moses. once you got your 922 parts who cares. i dont care if its a dsa factory gun or a century bunghole, if it performs thats were its at. the value is what someone will pay for it. i would not pay more for a poorly performing rifle with premium parts over a solid performer with "lesser" parts.

phillip
July 04, 2007, 21:24
Originally posted by chromestarhustler
do you plan on selling it?. i have several nice guns, and i banged the 200 yd gong all day using a hesse reciever, a x series stock (which the thugs made fun of), a penguin handguard, and fse hts and a nice factory imbel barrel from a excellent kit shortened by moses. once you got your 922 parts who cares. i dont care if its a dsa factory gun or a century bunghole, if it performs thats were its at. the value is what someone will pay for it. i would not pay more for a poorly performing rifle with premium parts over a solid performer with "lesser" parts.

Good point,No I wont be selling it

chromestarhustler
July 04, 2007, 21:26
good choice, get that baby running and prepare to hold back the evil horde of garden knomes and milk jugs

phillip
July 04, 2007, 21:40
Originally posted by chromestarhustler
good choice, get that baby running and prepare to hold back the evil horde of garden knomes and milk jugs

LOL:D Ive sold two ,A 92FS and an M1 carbine i picked up at a sheriffs sale.I wish I had em both back.I aint sellin no more.BTW ,Got a coulple of good gun safes you want to get rid of???????????????????