PDA

View Full Version : G1 Barrel Removal

.30calfanatic
July 04, 2007, 02:20
Finally got my receiver and I'm ready to build my first FAL. I'm trying to remove the barrel from the cut receiver, have a Receiver Block (well braced and clamped in a vise) and the right size wrench. Trying to turn it in a counter-clockwise direction, and have applied enough force to hand-crank a Peterbilt and the darn thing won't budge.

What's the secret here? I gotta get this thing built by the weekend!

scattergun
July 04, 2007, 06:54
Take a dremel tool and the fine cutting wheel. Cut in the charging handle slot until you just start to see the outline of the barrell threads. Put a chisel in the end of the cut and tap it. It will make a pop and spread apart slightly. Remove by hand. Takes as much time to type this as to remove the stub.

bykerhd
July 04, 2007, 10:34
Right on with the cut in the carry handle cut slot.
But, life gets a whole lot easier if you also cut the opposite side of the receiver stub. They come apart very easily that way when you start the chisel on the carry handle side. Just takes a few more minutes for the second cut.
Make sure you stop cutting when you start to see the "shadow" of the barrel threads.

edited to fix my screw-ups

Falcon
July 04, 2007, 11:14
Here's a pic from this link with instructions,etc....

http://www.cruffler.com/trivia-April01-assembly.html

W.E.G.
July 04, 2007, 11:23
Originally posted by bykerhd
...life gets a whole lot easier if you also cut the opposite side of the receiver stub.

Definitely cut BOTH SIDES.

Only the side with the slot needs to be cut to the point where the metal separates. The opposite side needs to be cut in order to allow the stub to bend and open as you bash the chisel into slot on the opposite side.

W.E.G.
July 04, 2007, 11:27
dremeling the slot-side

mrbieler
July 04, 2007, 13:43
Just did this 10 minutes ago. Dremel through the slot and dremel out the back side enough to give the receiver a point to bend on.

Piece of cake. My six year old supervised. He likes the sparks. :)

Radio
July 04, 2007, 15:16
Three comments.

1-- When you use the chisel, put it down the length of the charging handle slot, in line with the barrel... not straight down the slot you've just cut, in toward the barrel.

2-- Put a spent brass in the chamber to protect it, in case the chisel slips.

3-- I greatly disagree with the fellows who say to cut the other side, right side, of the receiver. GREATLY. All I am trying to do is break the tension on the barrel threads, not cleave the receiver into two pieces. I find those stubs to be quite handy for various building purposes, one being to clean the barrel threads. I've seen Edgsmth say the same thing. Another got the threads hogged out and became my guide for disk sanding of the shoulder. Others were used to hold the front end assembly together while awaiting building. And gunplumber used to have hundreds of them mounted up on a wall, "trophies" if you will.

Don't split that thing in two... cut only along the left side in the charging handle slot. Easy work, and I've only used a hacksaw. No right hand cut is necessary at all.

--Radio

thedrickel
July 04, 2007, 18:36
Yeah I've done at least a half dozen and never needed to slot the other side, only the CH side. No problems yet.

.30calfanatic
July 05, 2007, 01:23
Thanks for all your information. I will let you know how successful I am, when I get another crack at it tomorrow.

sturmgrenadiere
July 05, 2007, 06:04
Have to agree on the one cut method. Just dremel until you the slightest indication of the barrel threads (you'll see the "stripped" appearance on the metal where you cut". And use a wide/thick chisel. Something that will bluntly split open the receiver stub, not drive into it. If that makes sense. And as noted above, don't necessarily chisel the spot you dremeled, but adjacent to it in the charging handle slot. You will be amazed how absolutely simple this method it.

One note, be sure to clean the threads of the barrel, for obvious reasons, but just the same...

dougjones31
July 05, 2007, 09:23
I have never had to cut a stub off. A good cheater bar on my receiver wrench and a little heat and they come right off.

mrbieler
July 05, 2007, 11:11
Don't know if the opposite side groove is necessary or not, but mine split like a melon with one hit of the hammer on the chisel. Bent right along the groove on back side.

Knocked off the sharp edges of it and my wife will use it on her desk at school as a paperweight...

ratas calientes
July 05, 2007, 11:50
Check here (http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=206701) for how I do it. http://chilirat.com/emoticons/chilirat.gif