PDA

View Full Version : Does the israeli LIGHT handguard/buttstock set fit my century?

ruskiegunlover
July 03, 2007, 18:47
Is it a straight swap? Or are modifications needed? It is an inch pattern gun.......

jugrunner
July 03, 2007, 19:33
Should fit fine ...

wandering_ronin
July 03, 2007, 20:50
Handguards will, but if it is an inch lower the LB buttstock won't. A heavy barrel buttstock can be modified to fit, or you could swap to a metric lower.

Windustsearch
July 03, 2007, 23:19
You'll have to remove the gas tube to install the spacer.

PBR Streetgang
July 04, 2007, 00:47
What about a cut and soldered gas tube?

ruskiegunlover
July 06, 2007, 08:26
Yeah, I am still trying to decide light or heavy buttstock. The light won't work uh? I am a little intimidated by switching out to a metric lower......I've removed the lower, but never pulled EVERYTHING out of it. Any metric reciever will swap? Just as easy as replacing it, putting the pin in?

Windustsearch
July 06, 2007, 21:08
Originally posted by PBR Streetgang
What about a cut and soldered gas tube?

That'd be a problem, the Izzy handguards are open on top.

ruskiegunlover
July 06, 2007, 22:40
wait, a cut and soldered gas tube? was this done to century fals? As in, is mine cut and soldered on?

wandering_ronin
July 06, 2007, 23:01
If your gas tube extends from the front site block, all the way back to the receiver, you should be good to go. The cut and soldered tube is about half as long, and soldered to the front sight base. With the opening at the top of the Izzy hanguards, the rear of the pisston would actually be exposed.

In regards to the metric lower, it would be a simple swap, but inch internals won't work in a metric lower. You would need the complete lower assembly. If you are interested in modifying an Izzy HB buttstock, pm me your e-mail address, and I'll send you some pictures of what I did to make mine work.

Radio
July 06, 2007, 23:40
Adapting Metric wood stock to fit an Inch lower
Not just an Izzy HB stock, but any Metric Type-B (standard, non-ferrule) wood stock can be adapted. Technically, even a Type-A (early, with wood "wings" that wrap around the TMH metal) stock could be adapted, although that would be a lot more work. A Type-C stock features the ferrule, so that won't work because of the missing wood hogged out to accept the ferrule.

Fitting Izzy LB handguards
* Will fit on any Inch FAL other than HB (bipod legs attach directly to the gas block and fold to become the handguards)
* Will fit on any Metric FAL other than HB (the stamped metal part around the gas block is too small)
* If the Metric FAL has a LB bipod (StG, G1), the bipod will have to be removed.

If your barrel has a short tube StG gas design, the open top nature of the Izzy LB handguards will expose the piston/spring (the T-48 style handguards will do the same). It might look a little funny but it'll work. Note that in this case you will not be able to use the LB "handguard spacers" around the gas tube, but these are not actually critical anyway. I converted several of my non-bipod rifles to the more comfortable Izzy handguards and don't have rings in those rifles, with no problems.

--Radio

ruskiegunlover
July 07, 2007, 14:20
yeah, I don't have the short gas tube....I picked up some bernaul ammo at a show today, hopefully I can get out and shoot it soon.
I want to swap out the furniture, so I appriciate any help I can get. Who else besides gunpartsguy sells israeli furniture?

J. Armstrong
July 07, 2007, 14:31
GunThings.

Swapping a complete lower as an assembly is a s simple as it sounds. If you start witha stripped lower, quite a few of the inch internals do not interchange. Much easier to simply do the entire lower.

Radio
July 07, 2007, 14:46
One quick note that if you swap out the lower, swap in the rear sight from the SAME family as your barrel.

Inch barrel, use Inch rear sight on Metric lower. Metric barrel, use Metric rear sight on Inch lower.

An Izzy sight line is taller than a Metric, but shorter than an Inch. I could not make an Inch folder work on my Izzy HB clone, the rear sight was simply too tall. A shame, as the Inch folder is perfect when using a SUIT, whereas with the Izzy rear sight I've got to take it off... either completely, or remove the forward stop pin, then when mounting the SUIT just slide the sight body forward off the sight base. (Then put the thing in a teeny plastic sealable baggie so you don't lose the springs and guts.)

--Radio

J. Armstrong
July 07, 2007, 17:43
Radio - I'm curious if the inch/Izzy combination was flat out unworkable for you, or if just necessitated a front post so short that it was a poor sight picture.
I have used this combo with fair success on two builds, but of course each rifle is a wee bit different. Maybe I was lucky and shouldn't count on it next time :)

Radio
July 07, 2007, 21:53
Well, with this combo, to quote Paul McCartney, I was always shooting "Hi, Hi, Hi". The Inch folder had a higher sightline than what the rifle neeed. So I would have needed a taller front sight. Let's see, it's an Izzy HB front end from Numrich about 2000, 1998/99 PAC Gear Logo IMBEL receiver, a Steyr StG Type-I lower, and now an Izzy LB rear sight (700 yards is just nuts for my eyes and this isn't intended to be letter-correct).

--Radio