PDA

View Full Version : Tried to repair Finn 91/30 stock

Mebsuta
July 03, 2007, 10:06
This 2-piece stock had a vertical crack in front of the trigger. I thought about sending it out, but don't like doing that so I tried to fix it.

Mebsuta
July 03, 2007, 10:08
Went to Lowes and bought brass screws. Clamped stock,drilled a hole, covered screw in epoxy, and ran it in there. Cut off screw and filed it flush. I think it will hold. A hardwood dowel would have looked nicer, but target area is too small and I always see stocks pinned in that area. Usually see dowels in the butt.

ce
July 03, 2007, 10:14
You are a wizard, a sorceror, an artist and a scientist.

Mebsuta
July 03, 2007, 10:14
Scuffed the stock a little while filing. If I had been working on something other than my own stuff, would have taped it off, put stock in a workmate or something, and been all surgical. My own stuff I tend to throw down on the kitchen floor and go for it. Inshallah teh rifel will be shot out, worn out junk when I am done with it 30 years from now.

Mebsuta
July 03, 2007, 10:24
God dang thanx ce. U R the Master. Look how the Finns shimmed it under the action. Vertical shim I think to tighten up side-to-side. Horizontal I guess is to raise action. They relieved barrel channel, so maybe they were trying to float it or get rid of some tension. On the Russians, you usually find shims under the magazine and under the tang.

ElRon
July 03, 2007, 11:01
Looks finn! sorry...

TerryN
July 06, 2007, 20:53
Good on ya! Beats paying the outrageous prices Brownells gets for their stock repair pins! They must think them things are GOLD, not brass!