PDA

View Full Version : Tapco's gas piston / US Parts Kit

bbauer
October 17, 2001, 19:02
I e-mailed Tapco about an undersized gas piston (5 thou under, and a search of the board showed that this probably wouldn't work) that came as part of their US parts kit for $99 and received a prompt response telling me that a replacement should arrive in a couple of weeks.

The new one arrived last week and it's the same (under)size. I wrote back asking how they wanted to deal with this, and haven't heard from Tapco yet. In the meantime, I'm wondering if anyone else has received a properly-sized gas piston from them, or if it doesn't really matter that it's 5-thou under what came with the G1 kit.

As far as the rest of the kit goes, the H/T/S by FSE looks fine, as does the pistol grip, but the cocking handle looks just 'different' enough that I'll probably replace it with something else.

Bob

Rightarm
October 17, 2001, 20:23
I have, and use the piston, and H/T/S from Tapco. They drop right in and work fine. I didn't particularly care for their charging handle though.

ksuguy
October 18, 2001, 07:01
I've never measured the Tapco piston that I got, but it works just fine in my STG.

I agree with you on the charging handle. I've got one on the L1A1 kit I built for parts count purposes and I can't wait to replace the thing. It's functional, but incredibly cheesy looking.

usmc326
October 18, 2001, 07:46
Five thousands undersized? The pistons
that were incorrect were oversized, by hundreds, and guys were debating about
whether to return them or try to uniformly reduce them, a hit-or-miss idea if you haven't a lathe.
You want a snug fit, not a vacuum.
:D

[ October 18, 2001: Message edited by: usmc326 ]

BUFF
October 20, 2001, 13:41
FAL4ALL:

The TAPCO sleeved flash hider not fitting is a problem already known to TAPCO. I think they said the G-1 they gave their machinist must have had a worn lug, because the finished sleeved parts only fit some G-1's. E-mail TAPCO for a replacement.