PDA

View Full Version : Remington Nylon 66 disassembly / re-assembly manuals

W.E.G.
July 01, 2007, 22:15
Often cursed as the Nylon "666" because of the level of difficulty in servicing.

Perhaps some elixir
http://www.nylonrifles.com/NylonRifles/Documents.html

indy_Muaddib
July 01, 2007, 22:18
added to my "useful info" file.

ElRon
July 02, 2007, 01:19
And they whine about Ruger .22 autos...:rofl:

Illurian00
July 02, 2007, 02:36
The first one I dissasembled when I was in high scholol,,,sent it to the factory be reassembled.

Did another one several years ago,,,got everything back into place except the shell ramp,,,it couldn't just lay in there ? It does.

Chinese jig-saw puzzles are much more fun.

Arizona Highlander
July 02, 2007, 10:19
I love mine. Super-light, quick-handling, and reasonably accurate. Always works, too - unless you attempt to disassemble it, then it’s disaster time (the nickname “Nylon 666” is a new one on me, but perhaps all too appropriate where disassembly is concerned).

Thank you for the link, W.E.G.!

ElRon
July 02, 2007, 15:09
Years ago, I took one to a smith who so kindly put it back together for 15 bucks. At least I was smart enuff to stop before I boogerfooed it real good. It was worth it because the smith had a lot of historical info on the building of the guns at Remington, so listening to him talking was worth it. I didn't have the service manual back then. I think I could do it now, but still would rather not...They rarely really need it anyways outside of a broken or worn out part. Great rifles, wish I had more of them!

Arizona Highlander
July 02, 2007, 18:52
Incidentally, it looks like lots of people still love those old Nylon 66's. J&G sales here in Arizona has a nice, used “Apache Black” Nylon 66 up for sale - at something like $425!

I remember buying mine (shortly after I graduated from high school) for about $89. :tongue:

whirlibird
July 02, 2007, 21:09
Strange, I never thought it was so hard to take my 66's apart but then I also like to take C-96 Mausers apart also.

but still an excellent reference source.

W.E.G.
July 02, 2007, 21:25
Prices are definitely up on the Zytel rifles.

Sure would be nice if Remington would bring them back as a current item.

This thing (current offering Model 597) looks about as sexy as a fence post.

ftierson
July 03, 2007, 01:27
Originally posted by W.E.G.
This thing (current offering Model 597) looks about as sexy as a fence post.

Actually, don't judge this one by its picture, Gary.

I didn't buy one for the first couple of years after it came out because I thought that it looked about as sexy as a fence post (wait, where did I just hear that?) from its picture. Of top of that, I think that its precursor, the Remington Viper, was about the ugliest rifle ever produced anywhere.

Then, I happened to stumble across one of the 597s in a shop. In real life, it's quite an attractive rifle. And the stock feels wonderful in the hands. I've finally ended up with two synthetic ones in .22LR and a synthetic one in .22WMR. They keep my Nylon 66 company so that it doesn't get lonely...

:)

And, in case anyone is interested in downloadable manuals for a bunch of different rifles, try this site...

Downloadable Firearms Manuals (http://stevespages.com/page7b.htm)

The site has probably been linked all over the place, but I just happened to find it for the first time a couple of months back...

Forrest

jrkoller
July 03, 2007, 06:26
Thanks W.E.G I needed that I bought my 66 back in the 70's for 50 bucks and no manual.
thanks

chromestarhustler
July 03, 2007, 15:35
been looking at getting one. prices are threw the roof though

Diomed
July 03, 2007, 22:19
I'm on dialup so I haven't dl'd the manual yet - I just have one question. Does the 66 have a bolt lock on it? Haven't found one in fiddling with it but I missed it on the Ruger Mk I, so I'm not exactly a savant here...

warbird
July 03, 2007, 22:40
Originally posted by Arizona Highlander
Incidentally, it looks like lots of people still love those old Nylon 66's. J&G sales here in Arizona has a nice, used “Apache Black” Nylon 66 up for sale - at something like $425!

That price might be a little high.:wink: They had one hanging on the wall when I was in there in January; wonder if its the same one.

Clark
July 05, 2007, 00:42
This guy took his Nylon 66 apart and rust blued it.

http://www.realguns.com/Commentary/comar48.htm
http://www.realguns.com/Commentary/comar51.htm