PDA

View Full Version : First build, next problem

deepriverman
June 30, 2007, 10:43
OK, my last post was wrong. After cleaning up the threads I'm not overtimed to 1:00 o'clock, I'm undertimed to 9:30. Barrel shoulder is clean and flat, no obvious high spots. Receiver is DSA and appears perfectly flat. I was looking at it wrong when I first screwed it on and thought I was overtimed. Gunplumber's book put me right. So, any suggestions or do I just get filing? Anyone have a prefered type of file? I'm in a little over my head but I will make this work.

Survey Punk
June 30, 2007, 10:55
Use magic marker on the barrel shoulder and work slowly removing minute ammounts of material before checking timing. Also be aware that the actual breech face may be bottoming out inside the reciever. Check this also using your marker.

JB

MAINER
June 30, 2007, 11:50
I use a small square file for this type of stuff. It's approx. 1/4" sq. and one side has been made safe (ie) teeth ground off and made smooth. Now, you can file the shoulder without mucking up the barrel threads.

Go Slooow!!

Suggest you do a search for the "sanding disk method" of shoulder grinding. I think it's easier to do a good job with this method. Nice to have an old receiver stub for this.

G'luck!

Radio
June 30, 2007, 13:39
Dood, it's a Dell.

Uh... I mean, Dood, do some READING. Old threads are your best friend. This is on the current Gunsmithing page... just a few posts down from here. I think I need a machinist (http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=205920) S'got pictures and everything.

--Radio