PDA

View Full Version : Headspace from Falkenstien!

ACCURRETT
June 29, 2007, 22:05
After allthe discussion's on the boards about headspace i decided to take my falkenstein to my local gunsmith and have him check my headspace. My accuracy just has not been up to par for me and i was starting to wonder why. I have a new g.i. barrel and reciever's and gas system is just fine. So i thought maybe (not quite understanding it at the time) that headspacing might be an issue. SO! I had him check it out and it closed on the no-go gauge but not the field gauge. He owns a frankenfal also and had the same problem. He replaced the shoulder locking plate with a slighty bigger one to increase headspace and is not shooting just over 1 inch at 100 yards. The man seems to feel pretty confident that this will correct my problem. But if not, I suppose i purchase a new bolt or bolt and carrier and have him do his voodoo with that? Or do i replace both bolt and carrier? The lower and bolt and carrier are all rhodesian. if that matters. Just wondering how big of a problem i am getting myself into. I know ol' franky is worth saving, but just what is entailed is the whole getting correct headspace issue? Thanks guys for all the help.

shootist87122
June 29, 2007, 22:32
Rhody lowers often have enough wear to cause slop between the upper and the lower receivers; (front end is an easy fix - back end is not. That's possibly costing you some accuracy as well.

Radio
June 29, 2007, 23:25
Somebody is a bit screwed up in their math. To "increase" headspace, you will need a SMALLER locking shoulder, not a larger one. A smaller diameter locking shoulder would mean the bolt, in lockup, would be farther from the case head, thus increasing headspace. A larger diameter locking shoulder would mean the bolt, in lockup, would be pushed closer to the case head, thus decreasing headspace.

--Radio

ACCURRETT
June 30, 2007, 08:29
Radio, i wouldn't say my math is messed up, i would say it is a definite lack of knowledge.:smile: But yes i need the bolt to be closer to the cartridge head. Like i mentioned i don't know much about headspace,and especially on ol franky. The recievers fit tightly together and the metric mags fit great. So you all would agree that increasing the locking shoulder size should DECREASE (5th grade math,LOL j/k) my headspace?

Survey Punk
June 30, 2007, 11:24
Just picking a different locking shoulder is not going to solve your problem. You need headspace gauges, pin gauges, and a wee little bit of knowhow.
This is about as good as it gets as far as the knowhow part:

http://www.arizonaresponsesystems.com/
Gunplumber's Guide to FN FAL Home Gunsmithing DVD & Workbook. Covers all aspects of building a FAL with your receiver and FAL parts kit. Includes tools, selecting and preparing parts; barreling and timing; adjusting headspace; tuning gas system for optimal performance; customizing; complete disassembly & reassembly, operation, function testing and troubleshooting. Covers Inch, Metric, and Israeli models in fulla nd semi automatic. Two high-density DVD discs, digitally produced and edited . Workbook compliments DVD with technical specifications, home-made tool drawings, vendor listings, schematics, and much more. 130+ pages. $60 including USPS priority mail shipping.

JB

Radio
June 30, 2007, 13:45
And now, a word from our sponsors.

This is the Correct Page to view the Workbook/DVD (http://www.arizonaresponsesystems.com/store/storemisc/pagestoremisc.htm)

http://www.arizonaresponsesystems.com/store/storemisc/dvdcover01.jpg

This is an ESSENTIAL resource for every FAL builder.

--Radio

ratas calientes
June 30, 2007, 14:33
Forget your local gunsmith. Study up here on the 'Files to see how it is done. Buy, borrow, or rent the tools to do it right. Do it yourself or find a fellow FAL lover nearby to help you. This is not rocket science, and is easily within the realm of folks who are even the slightest mechanically inclined. http://chilirat.com/emoticons/chilirat.gif

dirtyrice
July 01, 2007, 07:34
So he used 7.62x51 field guages right not .308? I just know some use one and some use the other. Just figured i'd ask. Especially after you said he said he shoots barely over 1inch at 100yrds and he used a bigger locking shoulder to fix his problem.

Radio
July 01, 2007, 23:46
PUHLEEEEZ let's not get into that ancient "7.62 -vs- .308" old saw. Headspace to 1.632" standard, or 1.630" tight, and move on. I don't care what it says on the outside of the headspace gauge other than "1.630" etc.

--Radio