PDA

View Full Version : I'll soon be reloading...

Hiway
June 29, 2007, 14:52
..and all that I have for a technical source is a Speer #13. Can you guys recommend other sources or recommend primers,loads,and projectiles?
I have 1 FAL carbine and a wannabe STG 58 that will be devouring what I feed'em.

Thank you.

Groucho
June 29, 2007, 15:13
I've found that the Sierra manual is top notch. Also, the Lyman manual is quite good. I have both. The Sierra manual has a section on do's and don'ts for loading the military semi-autos.

HTH

MAINER
June 29, 2007, 19:51
Groucho has good recomendations. New Hornady manual also has section for military loads.

CCI # 34 primers are milspec and less senstive to slamfires. I've used Winchester a lot and have had no problems. Make sure to seat primers properly. ie, NO high primers.

Best to stay in the 140 gr to 175 gr bullet range. Selection depends entirely on what kind of loads you want. Blasting or target? 147gr fmj milsurp is good for blasting. Nosler 150gr are accurate as are Sierra 155 gr and Hornady 150 Ballistic tip.

IMR or H 4895, Rel-15, Varget, AA 2460, Win. 748 are all good powders and will get the job done. Don't use powders slower than IMR-4064 in gas operated guns is a good rule to follow. Make sure if recomended charge is for commercial or military cases.

Some loads were posted here in "Ammo" section a while back.

Norm Abrams says, "Read and follow all the safety rules"

I say, "Right On"!! :D

G'luck

shootist87122
June 29, 2007, 21:06
For 7.62x51 in FALs I like Varget, CCI #34 primers and the Hornady FMJBT, but YMMV and your specific rifle may prefer something else as well. I tested my third FAL with this load today -- two out of three FALs love it so far with one shooting just "OK" with it.

Details and variations on the Varget load are here:
http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=185614
There are many other good loads listed in this forum as well. [Safety Note: Always verify any load data you receive from others with a good manual.]

Another way to go on the reloading manuals is the "One Book / One Caliber" load manuals. It combines just about all sources into one manual, for one specific caliber.

Sierra and Hodgdon are my two two fav full bull manuals, but I have most of the others as well -- some are pretty old and used for cross-referencing only.

Hiway
June 30, 2007, 06:41
Thanks for the replies on this. I can't wait to get started,just a few more hurdles.
A friend of a friend has offered to teach me the ropes. He's an older fella who likes to drive tacks with a .204 Ruger.
My press is a RCBS Rock Chucker which came in the Master Reloading form. I also picked up a Lyman Turbo Tumbler,full length dies,small base die,shell holder (of course),Forster case trimmer(by recommendation of the .204 Ruger guy),a Lee decapper,Pw'r pull bullet puller, and a tin of Imperial sizing die wax.
Next on the agenda is a good vernier caliper,data (books),labels,and my bench.
Powder,projectiles, and primers will be last.

That's about it, if you guys can think of anything else, lay it on me.

Hiway :fal:

robin
June 30, 2007, 06:51
a swager for mil brass to swage the primer pockets, or figure it out the hard way like I did.:eek:

brownknees
June 30, 2007, 07:08
All good info.
I'll second the "loadbooks" by caliber, they have the combined data from a bunch of reloading manuals. Very handy once you get started & want to either sort out conflicting data from different manuals, or see how a different combination stacks up.

I'd add a notebook, either a custom reloading one, or just a standard notebook. Make your reloading notes as you go. You'll find that you will keep referencing back to it as you get more experience, and memory won't remember some of the details of the sucesses (& failures) so you'll end up re-inventing the wheel.

A couple of thoughts on the stuff you have.

Small base dies: Only use them if you HAVE to. Try a test with standard dies first as this will save a bunch of brass.

Imperial sizing wax: Excellent stuff, but suited for low volume high accuracy loading. Try one of the spray on lubes (like Midway) Its works well, and will speed up prep work by a large margin when you're loading in volume.

Did you get media for the tumbler?

Primer pocket cleaning brush.

Powder scale? I didn't see one in your list. You may be using a meter to throw charges by volume, but you're going to need one to set this up.

Finally a pair of safety glasses. The first time you set off a primer in the press you'll be sooo glad you did.:biggrin:

Hiway
June 30, 2007, 14:35
I saw a load specific book somewhere,white w/ black print and spiral bound,can't remember the name. A notebook is a idea I haven't thought of,I can definately do that.
The reason I picked a small base die is that I have some L.C. brass that I picked up at the "Marketplace".After punching out some primers I kind of think I made a good move here.
I did get some media and have spun some brass.It's noisy and does take a while but the results are nice.
The scales and the primer pocket cleaning brush came in the kit so I'm good to go there.
BTW,the Imperial wax was recommended by a guy that loads military brass.

Finally, I'm not familiar with a swagger,I'll have to look into that one.

I'm glad that I have a fairly local guy like the .204 Ruger fella to get me started and this board for being here.

I appreciate all of your input.

Semper Fidelis

brownknees
June 30, 2007, 15:38
The primer swaging tool takes a LOT of work out of getting military crimped primer pockets sorted out, an awesome device.

The "loadbook" is from (among others) Midway.

You'll find that there will be some detail differences in how you will reload volume miltary ammo, from loading tack-driving hunting rounds. Not knocking the local helper, these guys are for the most part excellent reloaders. Just get the feel for reloading, get comfortable (but never complacent) with his technique, then find out the little differences between loading precision bolt gun loads, and sem-auto mil-spec ones.

The small base die won't affect how you deprime, and resize by feel. What it ewill do is shorten brass life because there's more "working" of the brass every time you reload it. If you can reliably feed, chamber, and eject with a standard full length die, the stick to that.
If you have problems then go to the small base die as a nessecary evil to let you reload.

Keep us posted on how this goes for you. We'll usually be here with "helpful" advice.:biggrin:

MAINER
July 01, 2007, 14:18
Forgive me for piling some more stuff on ya, but.

Nothin expensive here and nothin you need right away, just somethin to consider.

(1) Decaping die,---deprimes only, good for crimped primers on military cases
Tougher than standard die decapping pins. Decap, then throw cases into tumbler. RCBS and Lyman are two who make these.

(2) Hand Priming tool. Made by Lee, Hornady, RCBS and others. I have a Lee and a Hornady. Don't like the Hornady. Lee works fine, but not very durable. Good thing they're cheap. Greater sensitivity and control seating primers. Another one of those case prep jobs you can do while watchin' Ballgames on TV. :D

(3) Stuck case removal tool........RCBS, Hornady, Redding. Used when you don't get quite enough lube on the case during resizing. Pretty tough getting a case out without one. I got one cheap a long time ago and never used it until I started loading 5,56 or .223 Rem. Used it a lot since on this cartridge, but no others.
In loading 7.62x51, I size in one die and neck expand in another. Stuck cases are not a problem this way, as without the expander, you can punch the case out with a dowel. Haven't stuck any cases in the .308 sizer yet anyway.

G'luck, be careful and have fun.

brownknees
July 01, 2007, 18:43
#1, and #3. sorry I forgot those:rofl:
If you don't get them right away Murphy's law says you'll get a stuck case (Of course if you do it'll never happen!)
Hand priming tools have never given me any advantage, but I know LOTS of reloaders who swear by them.

1911guy
July 09, 2007, 15:49
Ditto Groucho and try the Varget. I use IMR4895, AA2520, 43-43.5 gr in the 7.62x51. I also have two Garands and an M14, hence the powder selection but have used the Varget in the .223 and like the powder a lot. I need to try it in the .30 cal bolt guns. Hmmmmm, you guys are making me think of some other things I need to try.

FIANNAFAL
July 21, 2007, 16:39
CASE HEADSPACING GAUGE! This will let you know right away that your dies are set proper. Dillon sells them along with thier swage tool for milbrass. Wished I had got one years ago.:shades:
Edit to add Dillons case lube is top notch and all I use now.