PDA

View Full Version : L1A1 DP Receivers

zeb 38
June 28, 2007, 02:46
Hi all,

I am interested to know if it is worth doing a re-build on an Australian L1A1 drill purpose receiver. I have read Ian Skennerton's book "SLR Australia's FN FAL. He talks about "soft bodied receivers" that were later returned to the Lithgow factory for repair. Does anybody have further information on what type of steel was used and what was the actual failing of the component. This receiver is stamped, BB FTR.

Cheers Zeb.

hagar
June 28, 2007, 06:12
Show us some photos!

Radio
June 28, 2007, 14:28
In my opinion, you would be a brave man, or perhaps a foolhardy one, to build on a receiver rejected by the factory as being unsuitable for service due to an internal flaw.

--Radio

zeb 38
June 29, 2007, 01:36
Thanks,

Will post some photos when I get around to taking some. Just wanted to be completely sure that something worth keeping was not about to go into the garbage bin.

Cheers Zeb

merrden
June 29, 2007, 22:26
Century list L1A1 receivers online but will not talk to the public. They want to talk to dealers only. Best bet is to spend the money and be safe. I did some fool hardy things in my youth and almost paid for the farm a couple of times.
I am also interested. Some of us could pool our purchase through a licensed dealer. There are some Lithgow kits still available for about $300.00 Minus a barrel. Get A new U.S. stainless one? OOOOKKKKK I'm hooked. Please help me sell some houses to feed my addiction.
From the information I got some time ago was that the later model of their receivers are quite good. I have an R1A1 that seems to be OK so far. Since I do not know what compliance parts are present I will have to put extra goodies on to fill the bill.
Let me know if anyone wants to go for it.

AAAARRRRRRR!!!

Merrden

zeb 38
July 05, 2007, 06:44
Hi all,

For those who are interested, further investigation has led me to believe that all components manufactured at the Lithgow factory were of the machining and otherwise specs required. The so called "soft bodied receivered" rifles were later sold to Kenyan authorities ( no accidents or failures reported) with oversized locking shoulders supplied. All receivers and rifles returned to the factory for repair were deemed so by Australian army armourers as a result of very strict serviceability guidelines. Once a rifle was returned it was earmarked for scrap regardless of the fault (generally because it would be out of headspace with a limited range of locking shoulders). The bottom line is that an Aust DP receiver is probably far superior to a $36 Indian receiver or at least worthy of further consideration for a re-build.

Cheers

Zeb

SLR-5000
July 07, 2007, 20:25
Most of the remaining SLR's in Oz are re barreled DP marked receiver rifles, I have never heard of any problems from anyone.

Andy the Aussie
July 11, 2007, 19:02
Many of the latter DPs had a large hole drilled through the front underside of the receiver and into the chamber of the rifle. a metal plug was then inserted and welded into place. Prior to this modification the SOP was to just drill a hole in the chamber, but due to the number of DP rifles that were being sold as junk and "un-DPed" the drill and weld mod was instigated.

Andy

zeb 38
July 15, 2007, 07:33
Thanks, SLR and Andy,

You are quite correct, drilling through the receiver and into the barrel was the later practice, this receiver however was spared that vandalism. So, we all agree, lets build.

zeb