PDA

View Full Version : R1 selector question

gunnut1
June 27, 2007, 22:00
OK we all know that the R1 were "supposed" to be limited to semi automatic buy the Rhodies. We also all know that the troopers did violate this ruling. So when we got the kits, many of the lowers had the semi auto selector stop pin on the lower ground off. This would be correct for this rifle.

Now all of that being said and with the understanding that I firmly believe there is no such thing as a "wrong" R1, I have a question.

I have a R-selector on my R1. I have a semi auto pistol grip on my R1. The semi auto selector pin was ground off by the Rhodies. So, do you guys think I should just try to replace the pin with a roll pin or with the "original pin" or not worry about it? Considering the problem some of the guys have been having, I am curious if this would necessary because I do have the Semi Auto pistol grip.
I know it should not be a problem. Just trying to safe rather than in jail.

Radio
June 27, 2007, 23:31
Did you also get the cotter pin inside the lower??? :tongue:

Since you have a semi-auto pistol grip, the selector will not be able to rotate past "fire". Ergo, not to "auto" and won't get the LEO attention. If you had a standard grip, you WOULD need the pin or something to prevent the rotation, but as is, you don't have that problem.

--Radio

gunnut1
June 28, 2007, 16:28
Originally posted by Radio
Did you also get the cotter pin inside the lower??? :tongue:

Since you have a semi-auto pistol grip, the selector will not be able to rotate past "fire". Ergo, not to "auto" and won't get the LEO attention. If you had a standard grip, you WOULD need the pin or something to prevent the rotation, but as is, you don't have that problem.

--Radio

Yes it has the cotter pin hole. The selector that came with the rigle had been gound to defeat the selector stop that had also been ground.
I bought a good R selector off of a board member.
Just looking for opinions! Thanks!

J. Armstrong
June 28, 2007, 18:01
Ah, the age old question .......drives me nutso on ocassion myself :D
Are you doing it in camo ? With the semi pg, I'd be inclined to leave it representative of how it was actually used. One of the joys of a Rhodie seems to be the all the little field mods that give 'em character.
I got an R1/Rhodie kit years ago, lucked out - Herstal mfg, all matching in really great shape other than finish wear ( and of course, the sewer pipe barrel :rolleyes: ). It came with a synthetic stock, which I don't believe was original on the Herstal SA contract rifles. Kept it anyway since it was in good shape. The rifle was not camo'ed, still had the carry handle, FA selector, so I figured maybe it was a security force issue or some such, didn't get chopped up - seemed like a good excuse not to screw with it, I guess. Of course, I keep eyeing a type C, or that long wood S African type C , or the long SA synthetic.......arghh, now look what you've done !!!!!!!
On the other hand, My G1 came with a synthetic PG and a type C stock a la the Turks, again in great shape. Built it up with an original wood PG and type B stock. Never give it a second thought. Why the diff ? Dunno.

No help, huh ;)

When yer done ----- we want pix !!!

gunnut1
June 28, 2007, 22:12
The rifle has been done for over a year. AJust got to thinkin' the other day. I will post pics though!