PDA

View Full Version : just how hard is it to build a CETME???

tracyballard
June 27, 2007, 14:25
I was thinking about ordering a CETME receiver from Century and trying to build my CETME kit, but I've heard it's pretty difficult, and when I was looking at the old receiver stub today,with that tube thingy attached to it, I didn't know what to make of it. The only gunsmithing experience I have is building an AR-15, a .45 pistol and 4 FALs. Is building a CETME going to be a lot harder??? more tools needed?? (besides a MIG welder). thanks for your help.

:confused:

Indycar
June 27, 2007, 17:34
you would want to use a tig welder to minimize heat to the receiver and barrel. I'm not positive, but I think you need a fixture to attach the barrel to the trunion and then the trunion to the receiver to keep everything aligned and in tolerance.

There is also the issue of setting the headspace by changing out out the rollers. From what I've read, you use a feeler gauge between the breech and boltface to set headspace and if it too large, you change to larger/smaller rollers in the bolt to move the boltface forward/back.

I had a CETME kit and was going to build it up, but after reading up on it, I decided it wasn't worth it and stuck with FAL's