PDA

View Full Version : STG/FAL Compliance parts

phillip
June 27, 2007, 14:21
Do the compliance parts(10 of 20) HAVE to be made in the us or is there another acceptable country of origin?I see in the market place parts kits various countries of origin. However, If I cant use most of those parts....why buy a 450.00 kit,Only to have to turn around and buy more parts?

tracyballard
June 27, 2007, 14:29
unfortunately, the ATF insists on US parts. it is a real problem to spend $450 on a kit then have to buy more parts, that's why I try to buy kits for more like $200. If you're going to pay $450 for a kit you might as well just buy new parts from DSA, or just get a complete DSA rifle for $989 from atlantic firearms.

gunnut1
June 27, 2007, 15:31
10 of 20? Uh no.

You will need 6 parts for the kit if you have no muzzle device. You will need 7 parts if you have a muzzle device. The easiest way to remember is 17 foreign parts on the list. You can have no more than 10 foreign parts on the rifle so that leaves 7 compliance parts. And the MUST be made in the US. modified foreign parts don't count a US made.

Radio
June 27, 2007, 17:24
10 of 20? You have this backwards, the 10 are FOREIGN-made.

* There are 20 BARF-identified parts that are tracked for 922r compliance purposes.

* (One of the parts is a muzzle device.)

* Of these 20 parts, you can have no more than 10 foreign-made parts.

* All remaining BARF-identified parts must be of US manufacture. Do NOT try to side-step this.

* The FAL uses 17 of these 20 parts, or, if you don't use a muzzle device, 16 of these 20 parts.

* That breaks down to 10 foreign-made parts PLUS--

* 7 US-made parts with a muzzle device;

* 6 US-made parts without a muzzle device.

--Radio

gunnut1
June 27, 2007, 19:31
UMM isn't that what I said?"

Radio
June 27, 2007, 19:34
Difference in organization of data and presentation. Plus, I'm fatter than you are. :biggrin:

tracyballard
June 27, 2007, 19:39
I guess we'll all have to agree to agree...

:bow:

phillip
June 27, 2007, 20:29
The article in SG News lists 20 parts.It states that 10 parts out of 20 specified import parts can be used to build....What am I missing?

gunnut1
June 27, 2007, 20:52
Originally posted by Radio
Difference in organization of data and presentation. Plus, I'm fatter than you are. :biggrin:

Are not!

gunnut1
June 27, 2007, 20:53
Originally posted by phillip
The article in SG News lists 20 parts.It states that 10 parts out of 20 specified import parts can be used to build....What am I missing?

There are 20 parts on the list. The FAL has 17 of those 20 parts.

tracyballard
June 27, 2007, 21:14
the FAL design does not incorporate a trunion, barrel extension or disconnector, which are 3 or the 20 compliance parts. A FAL is also without an operating rod, but the ATF has declared that the cocking handle is, in fact, an operating rod (I guess it is a rod, and it does operate something).

:fal:

phillip
June 27, 2007, 21:25
AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!

phillip
June 27, 2007, 21:30
Would that mean that a mag is 3 parts?(body,follower and floor plate)?

gunnut1
June 27, 2007, 21:37
Would that mean that a mag is 3 parts?(body,follower and floor plate)?

10-4 there good buddy. Handguards are 1 part.

I usually use: Receiver, HTS, gas piston, cocking handle, pistol grip. I do have US floor plats on a bunch of my mags. That way, I will always have at lest 1 compliance part.

phillip
June 27, 2007, 21:49
Originally posted by gunnut1

10-4 there good buddy. Handguards are 1 part.

I usually use: Receiver, HTS, gas piston, cocking handle, pistol grip. I do have US floor plats on a bunch of my mags. That way, I will always have at lest 1 compliance part.

This is probley spliting hairs,But would any LEO's give me the biz if my us mag wasnt in the weapon?

gunnut1
June 27, 2007, 21:54

This is probley spliting hairs,But would any LEO's give me the biz if my us mag wasnt in the weapon?

I don't think the mag has to be in the gun. And the other thing. Most LEOS don't know the difference. Not a slam on them. They would be more interested in your full auto selector than if it had the right number of compliance parts. So spend the $25.00 bucks and get a semi auto selector from DSA just for piece of mind.

To the best of our collective knowledge. no one have ever been busted for a strict 922r non compliance issue. It is used as an add on to other charges. Besides, I contend that if you have to worry about 922r, you have bigger problems. I AM NOT condoning not complying.

phillip
June 27, 2007, 22:00

I don't think the mag has to be in the gun. And the other thing. Most LEOS don't know the difference. Not a slam on them. They would be more interested in your full auto selector than if it had the right number of compliance parts. So spend the $25.00 bucks and get a semi auto selector from DSA just for piece of mind.

To the best of our collective knowledge. no one have ever been busted for a strict 922r non compliance issue. It is used as an add on to other charges. Besides, I contend that if you have to worry about 922r, you have bigger problems. I AM NOT condoning not complying.

I understand.This compliance thing aint as muddy as I thought it was Thanks for explaining.

Radio
June 27, 2007, 23:22
Just a heads-up, "Good Buddy" said over the CB will get you instant death threats, it means "you're gay".

East Bound and Down,
Ain't 1977 any more,
--Radio

gunnut1
June 28, 2007, 16:26
Just a heads-up, "Good Buddy" said over the CB will get you instant death threats, it means "you're gay".

East Bound and Down,
Ain't 1977 any more,
--Radio

Well back in the stone ages when I was playing with CB, it meant exactly what it sounds like. A freind. My how times change. Don't do chrildrens band anymore.

Radio
June 28, 2007, 18:45
Word meanings change, sometimes drastically, and within our own lifetimes, too, dang it.

My mother wrote a letter to a friend in the late 50's that spoke about me, which is why I have it. She also described going out to the movies with her friends and having a "gay time". The Flintstones theme includes, "we'll have a gay old time". The word "gay" means something completely different today, eh????

Odd coincidence that both "good buddy" and "gay" have been hijacked on behalf of the homos.

--Radio

phillip
June 28, 2007, 20:43
Dont forget "hook up"

AndyC
June 28, 2007, 20:50
And "10-4" means "Come and get it like a big funky sex-machine"

phillip
June 28, 2007, 21:09
Originally posted by AndyC
And "10-4" means "Come and get it like a big funky sex-machine"

I thought that ment "Im lookin for a 10-200 big Dan":uhoh:

phillip
June 28, 2007, 21:19
BTW,When I wasgrowing up my handel was Scrap Maggot.My mom and dad owned a scrap yard(pc term=recycling center)The aggitators on the radio called me scrap faggot,crap faggot ,Faggot maggot etc. It used to piss me off ,then I got older and laughed about it.I had a real good time back then(1987):D

gunnut1
June 28, 2007, 22:12
Remeber when being square was a good thing?

gunnut1
June 28, 2007, 22:18
Again back in the day, CB was fun. we had a whooping 23 channels. most readio would only do 5 or 6 channels. 9-14 and 23 were considered the "rag chewing" channekls and all the rest were dedicated for business. My first CB was a Gonset G-12 that had 6 channels. Had to buy the crystals and install them. Man on man I was in the tall, tall cotton when I got a 23 channel rig! I even had 2 cal signs. KMV8148 and KEY7452. We had to identify with our call signs.

Them was da days!

phillip
June 28, 2007, 22:29
Again back in the day, CB was fun. we had a whooping 23 channels. most readio would only do 5 or 6 channels. 9-14 and 23 were considered the "rag chewing" channekls and all the rest were dedicated for business. My first CB was a Gonset G-12 that had 6 channels. Had to buy the crystals and install them. Man on man I was in the tall, tall cotton when I got a 23 channel rig! I even had 2 cal signs. KMV8148 and KEY7452. We had to identify with our call signs.

Them was da days!

Couldent you reverse the crystals for some "custom frequencies"?

gunnut1
June 28, 2007, 23:07
No. The way the crystals are cut and the electronics in the radio on Xmit and receiver are different. Beleive me, I tried. Of course, in those days the FCC monitored the frequencies and you WOULD get busted if you violated the rules.
No cussing, no threats. It was fun!
I talked a lot of skip. I was always afraid that the FCC would be knocking on my door! AH those were the days!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v103/kd5day/CBQSLcard.jpg

Radio
June 28, 2007, 23:42
Andy is making stuff up about "10-4". I have heard it shortened to simply "4" numerous times.

When you are running in Los Angeles, channel 15 is the main use channel. On I-5, it's normally 17, and I've seen 19 used in the Rocky Mountain states and at least as far east as Texas, which was the limit of my trucking travels. I can't speak for the Eastern US.

--Radio

AndyC
June 29, 2007, 09:07
Andy is making stuff up about "10-4"
:D

Truckinmike
June 29, 2007, 20:54
Speaking of 922r parts... does anyone know where I can buy US made wood furniture like the T48 has? I think DSA's is not 922r compliant....I'm not sure; it does not say on their website. I'm using an imbel kit with a dsa recvr.

CB:

East coast 17,18, 19 , 20, 21??? it seems to be a mix to me. they are all over the place especially on I 95 going from Richmond VA through Boston, Mass... Lots of trucks, lots of traffic.

And I still hear 10-4 without issues.... but definitely NOT "Good Buddy", thats even taboo for truckers!

Thanks, truckinmike