PDA

View Full Version : Blue Wonder. An experiment.

ostrobothnian
June 26, 2007, 23:06
After reading several threads on parkerizing and touch-ups I thought I would try an experiment on my DSA receiver.

After a ceramic paint tryout I decided that I no longer wanted paint on my rifle. I was going to send out the barreled receiver for a repark but both components already had decent park underneath. I stripped the paint off with acetone revealing the original park again.

The color of the DSA park has sort of a green color to it without very much depth. My receiver had witness marks from the extreme duty scope that had been mounted on it before transformation. So I thought, "What the heck?" and tried what I had read about park touch ups with Cold Blue.

A few months ago I went to the NRA convention show here in St. Louis. There was a booth for the Blue Wonder product. A man was doing a demonstration there. I was so impressed I bought a $25 kit that had enough of the product to blue three rifles (I don't have any blued rifles). So...

I tried it on the DSA receiver after thoroughly cleaning the thing with acetone. Initially I just started with touching up the worn areas that looked kind of bare. That led into a full application to the receiver. I figured hey, why not, after all I'll just have it reparked if I screw it up.

Here is the end result.

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k152/finlandssvensk/paraex3003-1.jpg

As you can see, at least I think, it turned out great. The color is noticeably darker and remarkably even in color with alot more depth to it! I'm really pleased with how it looks! Of course I ended up doing the entire exterior of the receiver.

Not sure if you are supposed to use the product like this or if it's a stupid thing to do... but I think it worked awesome.

Note: also did the top cover.

Radio
June 27, 2007, 03:15
Interesting color, I wonder about the durability compared to park.

That looks like a folding charging handle to me. And what's the mag catch, it's not Metric and doesn't look like Inch from this angle, but it's a bit too dark in there to see clearly.

--Radio

ostrobothnian
June 27, 2007, 08:54
And what's the mag catch, it's not Metric and doesn't look like Inch from this angle

It's an FSE extended mag catch. The rifle is a para type. :)

TerryN
June 27, 2007, 09:05
Bluing parked guns is an OLD gunsmith trick to make them darker or different; it was fairly popular back in the 50s. Your rifle looks good!

JColdIron
June 27, 2007, 10:41
I hit the high spots on my Romy AK build with Super Blue to even out the park. It had alot of carry wear but good internally. Bluing works well to conceal wear but is not as durable as Park for sure.

Best for me since I am not set up to park ;)

ostrobothnian
June 27, 2007, 11:21
Bluing parked guns is an OLD gunsmith trick to make them darker or different; it was fairly popular back in the 50s. Your rifle looks good!

Thanks for the compliment Terry N and the information. After using that Blue Wonder stuff I find myself wanting to polish and blue everything steel that I see. It's such a great color. :fal: