PDA

View Full Version : FAL Type 1,2 or 3 Rcvr.


phillip
June 26, 2007, 18:20
Just a little bit more lettus to save and Ill be ordering a DSA Rcvr.,However Im not sure of the differances between them.Can someone please explain the differance other than the cosmetics?Also, Are the aussi parts kits(as seen on gun broker) any good?I dont want to buy a junk kit.Thanks.

AndyC
June 26, 2007, 19:11
Differences other than cosmetic - ok, I'll try.

Type 1 was the original.
Type 2 has a bit more meat at the rear of the receiver, supposedly because some Type 1's cracked at the back under full-auto fire.
Type 3 is the cheapest to make because there are less machining operations required - and consequently has the most metal of all the types, making it presumably the strongest.

Also, be aware that the Aussie kits are inch, not metric.

phillip
June 26, 2007, 19:26
Originally posted by AndyC
Differences other than cosmetic - ok, I'll try.

Type 1 was the original.
Type 2 has a bit more meat at the rear of the receiver, supposedly because some Type 1's cracked at the back under full-auto fire.
Type 3 is the cheapest to make because there are less machining operations required - and consequently has the most metal of all the types, making it presumably the strongest.

Also, be aware that the Aussie kits are inch, not metric.


Thanks Andy,Metric Type 2 is what I had in mind, (I wasent quite sure why)Now I need to find a quality metric kit.Any suggestions?

NoNotAgain
June 26, 2007, 20:04
Originally posted by phillip



Thanks Andy,Metric Type 2 is what I had in mind, (I wasent quite sure why)Now I need to find a quality metric kit.Any suggestions?

Quality metric kit. Hummmm.......................

STG-58 kit is perfect for a type 2 revceiver.

In metric kits they don't get better than the STG.

Expect to shell out between $350-450 for the kit plus compliance parts for the build.

Oh, and save another $2.99 for a "Chicken Mitt" as the STG with the metal hand guards gets quite hot.

AndyC
June 26, 2007, 20:19
Originally posted by phillip
Thanks Andy,Metric Type 2 is what I had in mind, (I wasent quite sure why)Now I need to find a quality metric kit.Any suggestions?
Type 2 is what I bought as well - no real reason other than it looks pretty distinctive (and sexy). For kits, you'll rarely find better quality or value than in the Marketplace here on the 'files - most of the vendors are well-known in the community.

phillip
June 26, 2007, 21:16
Originally posted by AndyC

Type 2 is what I bought as well - no real reason other than it looks pretty distinctive (and sexy). For kits, you'll rarely find better quality or value than in the Marketplace here on the 'files - most of the vendors are well-known in the community.


I havent tried the mktpl yet(thats code for I didnt even know it existed till just now)I was just about to go there when you suggested it.;)

phillip
June 26, 2007, 21:23
Originally posted by NoNotAgain


Quality metric kit. Hummmm.......................

STG-58 kit is perfect for a type 2 revceiver.

In metric kits they don't get better than the STG.

Expect to shell out between $350-450 for the kit plus compliance parts for the build.

Oh, and save another $2.99 for a "Chicken Mitt" as the STG with the metal hand guards gets quite hot.


Is the chicken mitt a us compliance part?:)

Cozmacozmy
June 26, 2007, 21:55
Welcome aboard Phillip...
click here link (http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=101100&perpage=50&pagenumber=2) and go to post #68 , this should help you out some.

ElRon
June 26, 2007, 22:03
Originally posted by phillip



Is the chicken mitt a us compliance part?:) It's anything you want it to be.

ratas calientes
June 26, 2007, 22:25
Originally posted by AndyC

Type 2 is what I bought as well - no real reason other than it looks pretty distinctive (and sexy). . . . Phillip - I also agree on the Type 2 receivers. They are sweet. Also, welcome to the 'Files. http://chilirat.com/emoticons/chilirat.gif

phillip
June 26, 2007, 22:32
Thanks to all of you guys for the incredable info.I dont have any doubts now about weather or not this project is doable.The help and info yall have provided is GREATLY appreaciated.I hope at some point I can help yall out in some way.Thanks again:bow: :bow: :bow:

Radio
June 27, 2007, 03:07
Note: a Type-II receiver on a Type-I lower will be very hard to spot the mismatch. Same in reverse, you'll have to have a very trained eye. Type-III receiver or lower on a Type-I or Type-II will be a bit more obvious, but once again you'll have to know what to look for. The average person won't even know something is "mismatched".

Note: the Chicken Mitt has been unavailable for many years. Those are old pics. eBay unhelpful.

--Radio

Andy the Aussie
June 27, 2007, 03:22
Rise above the metric rabble and get an inch pattern rifle....Britt or Aussie (Canadian are for the die hards ;) )....!!!!

Sorry....I allowed my bias to creep into the thread....;). They are all good you probably need to look at a few (Hint *Image Forum* :eek: ;) ) to decide what style really appeals to you.....then plan on building one of each anyway.....:biggrin:

Welcome aboard.

Andy:bigangel:

BAS
June 27, 2007, 05:03
Originally posted by Andy the Aussie
Rise above the metric rabble and get an inch pattern rifle....Britt or Aussie (Canadian are for the die hards ;) )....!!!!

Sorry....I allowed my bias to creep into the thread....;). They are all good you probably need to look at a few (Hint *Image Forum* :eek: ;) ) to decide what style really appeals to you.....then plan on building one of each anyway.....:biggrin:

Welcome aboard.

Andy:bigangel:

Naah, You ain't biased, it's the truth :-)

Bjørn

Powderfinger
June 27, 2007, 06:30
Originally posted by Cozmacozmy
Welcome aboard Phillip...
click here link (http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=101100&perpage=50&pagenumber=2) and go to post #68 , this should help you out some.

Actually post #19 shows all 3 types.
And welcome. It's not to late to build an FAL by any means.

AndyC
June 27, 2007, 13:58
Rabble, says the Antipodean - go figure :D

gunnut1
June 27, 2007, 21:48
Originally posted by Andy the Aussie
Rise above the metric rabble and get an inch pattern rifle....Britt or Aussie (Canadian are for the die hards ;) )....!!!!

Sorry....I allowed my bias to creep into the thread....;). They are all good you probably need to look at a few (Hint *Image Forum* :eek: ;) ) to decide what style really appeals to you.....then plan on building one of each anyway.....:biggrin:

Welcome aboard.

Andy:bigangel:

AHH go crawl back under your rock! :biggrin: Good to hear from ya Andy! How's things in OZ?

Cozmacozmy
June 27, 2007, 23:43
Originally posted by Powderfinger


Actually post #19 shows all 3 types.
True, but I find that looking at the recoil plate shows the curves much better to see the difference's. Plus it was 3 am when I typed it:D

Andy the Aussie
June 28, 2007, 02:15
Originally posted by AndyC
Rabble, says the Antipodean - go figure :D ....I bring a certain amount of style and class to the rabble element.....just what do YOU bring to the table....... :rofl: :rofl:


Originally posted by gunnut1
AHH go crawl back under your rock! :biggrin: Good to hear from ya Andy! How's things in OZ? ........things are good here mate, on leave just now (three weeks of it) and heading out bush for about ten days early next week.....beats the hell out of working for a living.....:biggrin: ;)

AndyC
June 28, 2007, 06:54
Originally posted by Andy the Aussie
....I bring a certain amount of style and class to the rabble element.....just what do YOU bring to the table....... :rofl: :rofl:
See my signature :D