PDA

View Full Version : Reassembling a carry handle.

Problem_Child
June 26, 2007, 17:32
Might seem like a stupid/simple question, but is there a trick or homemade tool to getting the little snap ring back on the carry handle?

I took the plastic handle off so I could parkerize and GunKote the metal handle part. Now, getting that stupid little snap ring back on is a PITA.

Fortunately, both times that it went sailing-off to some unknown dark recess of my workshop, I was able to find it.

W.E.G.
June 26, 2007, 18:06
Sometimes it can be done by using a small socket from a socket set as a sort of starter punch.

Perch the ring on the end of the shaft, place the socket over the ring, and tap the socket to drive the ring onto the shaft.

alcova
June 26, 2007, 18:29
I have to do that too and was thinking that I could put the ring on the END GRAIN of a piece of 2x4 and line things up and whomp it with my hand...the wood should support the ring enough to let the rod throught and to clip it

W.E.G.
June 26, 2007, 19:03
Originally posted by alcova
I have to do that too and was thinking that I could put the ring on the END GRAIN of a piece of 2x4 and line things up and whomp it with my hand...the wood should support the ring enough to let the rod throught and to clip it

That sounds right clever.

The ring can expand in the wood, whereas the ring might be compressed when the end of a socket is used.

Problem_Child
June 27, 2007, 17:44
Originally posted by alcova

Thanks!

That did it.