PDA

View Full Version : opinions requested on FAL receiver

tracyballard
June 26, 2007, 13:35
OK, I got this Imbel GL receiver in a trade and I'm concerned about its condition. The first red flag was that the threads were rusty, but I cleaned those up fine. Next, when I put the bolt carrier in, it would not fit with any amount of hand pressure. Well, I ran a file along the frame rails a couple of times and that fixed that problem pretty easily. THEN, when I tried to install the cocking handle, it was really tight, I filed out the rails a bit and it seemed to loosen up some, but when the rifle was assembled, it took a huge effort to cock this thing (50 ft lbs or more). What's up with this? did I get a pre-squeezed receiver. Does this sound normal for an Imbel or did someone put this in a vise and neglect to mention it down the line???

:sad:

chromestarhustler
June 26, 2007, 14:05
sounds like a vise job

Radio
June 26, 2007, 15:00
The result of an ignorant builder who didn't know, or a cheap builder who didn't want to spend the money, or an IDIOT builder with his head up his ass, who didn't get a receiver wrench but used a bench vise. Your receiver got crushed in the building effort.

If you are going to do this, at the MINIMUM put two carriers within the receiver, one with the rattail cut off so the second carrier can fit snug against the first, and a charging handle in the CH rails. You are still going to damage the receiver, but at least you can keep the carnage to a minimum. Looks like the previous owner didn't even do THIS much.

You're going to need to do some further repair work, sorry.

--Radio

ce
June 26, 2007, 15:52
You'll be all right.
Damage is minimal if you've accomplished what you have while still skeered ta ruin it.

Carry on, file it carefully, til all runs free, and as long as it wasn't twisted, which would also be apparent, it's fine.

It may not even be damaged at all, we had some Imbels that were buggered in much the same way without being douchehandled by a dumbass.

Well, except Vince, but he's actually a pretty good builder.

fal fiend
June 26, 2007, 21:51
i bought a dsa type 1 used of gun broker like that one, barrel wouldn;t thread, or bolt carrier would not go in,, he had the nerve to charge me a restocking fee of 20 dollars, lol

tracyballard
June 27, 2007, 10:18
well, I guess from what ce says it's not damaged beyond repair, so I guess I'll be able to get it working OK. It is kind of disappointing that the condition wasn't revealed before the trade (especially since what I traded should have been more than good enough for a new Imbel), but I'll live with it.

:fal:

teamster
June 27, 2007, 10:49
is it possible to get a barrel tightend up on my dsa rec. without special tools??
i was going to try the vice deal but then seen this thread and dont want to wreck my new type1

tracyballard
June 27, 2007, 10:54
you need to get at least a receiver wrench, and a barrel vise would be a good idea if your barrel flats aren't perfect. You can get about 100 ft lbs pretty easy on the barrel flats with a good adjustable wrench, but I prefer to clamp the barrel in a barrel vise, clamp that vise in a bench vise, and turn the receiver with a 1/2 inch breakover bar attached to the receiver wrench.

:shades:

Radio
June 27, 2007, 17:44
Teamster, trying to put on a barrel without having the proper tools is what got Tracy's receiver in trouble. (Unless it was ce's shipping damage.) Either pony up about $150-$175 bucks for the proper equipment, or pay a gunsmith (who has the tools, of course) to do it for you.

Tracy, I also said your receiver could be saved... "need to do some further repair"... since you've already addressed the carrier rail fit, the hard cocking would have to be the damaged charging handle slot. You can open this up very carefully with a chisel, light taps, lots of light taps up and down the rails... you will probably only need a scant few hundredths of extra clearance. I would fit a charging handle (without lug) in there and look for the tight spots. While doing this, put some tape along the right side of the receiver to protect the finish while you are churning the charging handle forwards and backwards during the repair process.

--Radio