PDA

View Full Version : Scope mount problems first build

Edgsmth
June 25, 2007, 18:06
OK, before everyone starts in on me I've been sick for a week and hardly eating anything. Shaky, head foggy from too much sleep but anyhow.

I got the Tapco Stanag mount and it was either an NCStar 4x or Tasco 4-16 variable, so I picked the Tasco for much finer crosshairs.

25 yards and I was on paper, centering on a 14x24" sheet of kraft. Adjusted scope to hit near POA. Shot four or five off the bench at 25, knew I pulled no. 2 left but had a horizontal string .900 or less (don't remember if it was 4 or 5 but looked like 3).

Went to 50 yards and was getting pretty shaky by then, managed 3 5 shot groups inside 3" but all about 6" high. This seems pretty much for trajectory but it did the same thing with iron sights. I don't have enough adjustment to bring it down.

I tried counting clicks and that didn't pan out as one half turn on both was around 54 but a complete turn was 83 on both windage and elev.

I'm thinking of shimming the rail up in the front and can calculate how much but I'd like to know if anyone knows what the overall windage and elevation adjustments are on a cheap old Tasco scope? I'd like to mount it to allow for longer ranges.

I'm not going to use the Tasco but figure I could hit the ground running if I shimmed it by what it did.

brownknees
June 26, 2007, 09:09
I think what you're seeing is the change in trajectory as it relates to the higher scope mount at 50 yds, and with the 25 yd zero..
I've had a similar problem with an Argie STANAG mount, but it pretty much goes away at 100yds.
If you can I'd try the setup at 100, just to check it out before you shim the mount, and then need to un-shim it later.
I put a strip from a soda can into the bottom of the front mount to angle the scope up slightly, and it worked, but then I had to remove them later for longer ranges.