PDA

View Full Version : Protecting the finish from the receiver wrench?

dmk
June 25, 2007, 14:14
I finally took my last FAL build out and found out I overtimed it. I had to adjust the rear sight way over to the side to get it on target. So, now I have to remove the barrel and reinstall it straight.

Problem: I already refinished the whole gun with black Gunkote.

So what's the best way keep the receiver wrench from marring the finish?

Line the inside of the wrench with a few layers of electrical tape, masking tape or something?

Nightops
June 25, 2007, 14:47
I use the fuzzy half of a strip of velcro on the contact points.

XHardrock
June 25, 2007, 15:19
I've used several layers of duct tape.

Orion 762
June 26, 2007, 00:09
I've used 3 layers of regular masking tape. Helps some if you lightly oil the receiver surfaces (break free, etc.). This helps keep the adhesive from grinding into the pores. Cleans off easy with Hoppes #9 anyway.

Orion 762

Radio
June 26, 2007, 03:26
Originally posted by Nightops
I use the fuzzy half of a strip of velcro on the contact points. Same here.

June 26, 2007, 07:29
Electrical tape, 3 wraps, sticky side OUT. It stays in place just fine and no goo to clean off the receiver.

dmk
June 26, 2007, 08:45
Thanks gentlemen! Good ideas.

:beer:

shootnstuff
June 26, 2007, 23:43
I used white fabric medical tape with good results.

sns

ratas calientes
June 27, 2007, 10:43
Originally posted by shootnstuff
I used white fabric medical tape with good results.

sns I usually use electrical tape, but when done I usually need to clean some adhesive off of the receiver. A shot with some carb cleaner makes for easy removal. The use of the white fabric mdeical tape sounds even better. Fiberglass tape should also work. http://chilirat.com/emoticons/chilirat.gif

Radio
June 27, 2007, 17:35
If you pad the RECEIVER WRENCH instead of the receiver, you won't have to clean up a mess afterwards.

--Radio