PDA

View Full Version : Odd sized locking shoulder needed

gary1978
June 24, 2007, 15:32
Anyone know who will make and sell me a locking shoulder in .281" size? I know they seem to top out at .275", but this gun will need something larger and I'm estimating a .281 will be required. Chamber is too deep. Reamed it out to save the barrel due to a damaged chamber wall and now need a longer locking shoulder to salvage it. Any ideas? The usual vendors don't seem to go that high.

Dunk RD
June 24, 2007, 15:47
Hey Gary
I have a brand new .284. You would have to touch the chamber just a scosh with your reamer and you would be in buisness.
There are some other problems for you to check though. By reaming that deap, your case is now farther into the chamber. Your GO gage must extend approx. .005 to .010 farther out from the breach face than the depth of the recess in the bolt. If not , your bolt will be bottoming out on the breach rather than on the cartrige.
Dunk RD

gary1978
June 25, 2007, 07:46
I appreciate the info on the .284. I did some additional checking last night and now I think I'll need to just order a .285. I really reamed it out too deep! I have already machined off the breach face of the barrel to compensate and may take another .005 off as well. I just hope I don't get into a situation where I get extractor interference as I don't have the tooling to re-cut the extractor slot in the breach face. Hope it still goes bang after getting this far out of spec.

Dunk RD
June 25, 2007, 18:29
Gary
If you do have trouble with the extractor, you can use a file or dremel if your careful to make it a little deeper.
Dunk RD

Dunk RD
June 25, 2007, 20:05
WEG
If he takes it off the shoulder it won't time. He will just have to live with it not bottoming out on the inside shoulder. It is not like a Mauser where both need to bottom out together.
Dunk RD

Dunk RD
June 26, 2007, 11:29
WEG
By reaming the chamber, the case is then in to far and the bolt would then
bottom out on the breach face. He then had to cut back the breach face to have.125 of the case protrudeing. Then the bolt will seat on the case which is
.115 deep which leaves .010 clearence off the breach face. He only faced off enough to bring it back to spec.
As to the inner shoulder, Some times the threads are to long and the breach bottoms out on the inner shoulder and the barrel won't time on the barrel shoulder until you cut back the breach face. then it tightens down on the barrel shoulder. On other barrels the breach face does not touch the inner shoulder which is OK.
Dunk RD