PDA

View Full Version : FAL Build tutorial question

phillip
June 24, 2007, 13:42
Can anyone reccomend a build tutorial preferably on DVD?Also , What are the differances in the Type 1,2 and 3 dsa Upper rcvrs?Are there any parts kits that are total trash?Ive just about made up my mind to try an FAL build (1st firearm build).Any suggestions or comments are appreciated....Thanks

SIG552
June 24, 2007, 14:03
Gunplumber from Arizona Response Systems has a tutorial available. I don't own it personally but I have heard only good things about it. He is a regular on this forum.

www.arizonaresponsesystems.com

Another option is Bandit's site, which has pages and pages of photo's and explanation on how he build his "Texas Jungle" Carbine. look for it under FN/FAL Projects.

http://wecsog.org/wecsog.html

SIG552

combat engineer
June 24, 2007, 14:08
Try Mark at gunplumber@ArizonaResponseSystems.com he sells a video showing you how to build a rifle from the ground up. Buy a kit and then try and find a "receiver". Welcome to the files and have a good time with the addiction.

HankC
June 24, 2007, 14:52
http://wecsog.org/fal/carbine/ (http://)

AndyC
June 24, 2007, 14:57
Support the 'files vendors - buy Gunplumber's DVD.

Do not buy the AGI DVD - it's crap (seen it, haven't bought it).

Receivers, top to bottom - type 2, type 3, type 1:

http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/9231/falreceiversmc0.jpg

wamba
June 24, 2007, 15:51
How do you know wich receiver you need for a particular kit? Other than posting pics on here & asking I mean.

powermad
June 24, 2007, 17:02
Most reasonably priced kits are going to be Imbel. Metric, type 3
A type 1 or 2 recv'r will work.

AndyC
June 24, 2007, 17:35
Originally posted by wamba
How do you know wich receiver you need for a particular kit? Other than posting pics on here & asking I mean.
Depends how anal you are - they'll all work just fine, but notice the mismatch between the upper and lower in the middle example - a type 3 upper on a type 2 lower (check where the rear of the upper meets the lower)

phillip
June 24, 2007, 18:40
WOW! Ive learned more here in 2 hours than Ive learned in two weeks on other sites.Thanks guys :bow:

Radio
June 24, 2007, 18:46
The "mismatch" is going to be so small, only a trained eye will catch it. Matching the receiver to the lower, for that 1/4" or 6mm of metal, will only occur once you have been so smitten by the FAL sickness that you turn completely anal and then start doing things like getting a "G1 receiver" for your G1 kit, or collecting all three receiver types, and that sort of ilk. Meanwhile, relax, it's not an important consideration, and anyway a pristine Type-I StG kit on a Type-III Gear Logo IMBEL receiver is still truly a thing of beauty.

Oh, and another recommendation for gunplumber's DVD and workbook, it is outstanding.

--Radio

phillip
June 28, 2007, 11:51
Ordered the build tutorial from ARS...60.00 to my door.Im geting excited over here!:biggrin: :D

Fred-in-PA
June 28, 2007, 16:43
Originally posted by Radio
The "mismatch" is going to be so small, only a trained eye will catch it. Matching the receiver to the lower, for that 1/4" or 6mm of metal, will only occur once you have been so smitten by the FAL sickness that you turn completely anal and then start doing things like getting a "G1 receiver" for your G1 kit, or collecting all three receiver types, and that sort of ilk. Meanwhile, relax, it's not an important consideration, and anyway a pristine Type-I StG kit on a Type-III Gear Logo IMBEL receiver is still truly a thing of beauty.

Oh, and another recommendation for gunplumber's DVD and workbook, it is outstanding.

--Radio

Heck, that's why I did not immediately buy that awesome G1 kit posted by Lima2Delta...I couldn't find a G1 upper that I could afford (and still sleep in the house.):shades:

J. Armstrong
June 28, 2007, 17:37
As mentioned, no biggie on a shooter but if you are trying to "recreate" a particular variant, the upper and lower should normally match.
A few exceptions come to mind. Most ( all ?) of the commercial Herstal type 3s were type 3 uppers with type 1 lowers. S African R1s ( both contract and Armscor ) were typically type 1 uppers with type 2 lowers. I believe some of the Onyx Arms Izzy imports were "mismatches" but don't recall the combinations I've seen - Type 3 over type 1, IIRC.
G1s of course were type1 over 1.

phillip
June 28, 2007, 20:04
FYI I got an e-mail from DSA.They told me (after I asked ) there is NO differance in lowers other than being steel or al-u- min-eum.T his does not seem to be the case as I have seen you guys/gals refer to lowers as Type 1 and 2.

J. Armstrong
June 28, 2007, 20:11
DSA may be referring to the fact that they supply only steel or alloy in type 1, but you are correct in noting that there are commonly three types of lowers just as there are three uppers. That's not including the inch variations, or the early type A lowers, and so an, and so on.....................................:)

BTW, I have both the AGI and GunPlumber videos - Mark's ( GPs ) is vastly superior both in content and in quality of instruction and instructor. You will not regret having it. Even after you become: A) adept at acquiring more FALs under your significant others' nose, and B) more knowledgeable about FAL lore, you will find it a handy memory refresher. The workbook should sit on the shelf right next to a copy of The Bible According to Stevens.

phillip
June 28, 2007, 20:40
Originally posted by J. Armstrong
DSA may be referring to the fact that they supply only steel or alloy in type 1, but you are correct in noting that there are commonly three types of lowers just as there are three uppers. That's not including the inch variations, or the early type A lowers, and so an, and so on.....................................:)

BTW, I have both the AGI and GunPlumber videos - Mark's ( GPs ) is vastly superior both in content and in quality of instruction and instructor. You will not regret having it. Even after you become: A) adept at acquiring more FALs under your significant others' nose, and B) more knowledgeable about FAL lore, you will find it a handy memory refresher. The workbook should sit on the shelf right next to a copy of The Bible According to Stevens.

I must confess that I have an "A "problem.However I have managed/learned to get around it .

J. Armstrong
June 28, 2007, 20:46
Originally posted by phillip

I must confess that I have an "A "problem.However I have managed/learned to get around it .

:beer: :beer:
Just remember to watch yer six around her :D Sometimes ya only THINK ya found the way around it - AMHIK :eek:

phillip
June 28, 2007, 21:11
Originally posted by J. Armstrong

:beer: :beer:
Just remember to watch yer six around her :D Sometimes ya only THINK ya found the way around it - AMHIK :eek:

Rodger that