PDA

View Full Version : Dagnabbit! FAL is a finicky eater...

Jaybo
June 24, 2007, 12:43
Took the FAL to the range, and found that if I load an odd number of rounds in the mag, she'll feed the first round, then none. If I load an even number, she won't strip that top round off the mag.

The is was after trouble free shooting... And it's with several different magazines.

What do I do to fix this?

AndyC
June 24, 2007, 14:55
Sounds like either the mags are a bit loose in the receiver ie. dropping just a touch too low for the bolt to pick up the next round and/or the bolt itself is worn underneath.

1gewehr
June 24, 2007, 15:07
This is a well-documented issue. Not a design issue, but a build issue.

You neglected to mention what receiver, what parts kit, or any other specifics of the build. But usually what is wrong is that the magazine catch is too low. The old Hesse receivers were notorious for this. Their ejector blocks were badly installed. Solutions are varied. I solved mine by adding a blob of weld to the top of the magazine release lever, then filing it down until the mags fit snugly. Others have used JB Weld with success.
1gewehr

Jaybo
June 25, 2007, 16:43
The receiver is a Century metric, the kit Imbel from Dan's.

Randy Kline of Sledgehammer Arms did the build for me.

Deltaten
June 25, 2007, 17:23
Well then Jaybo...
get a holt of Randy... He'll do right by ya; or so I'm told! ;)

Best,
Paul

Jaybo
June 25, 2007, 18:21
Just dropped him a line to see what he can tell me.

If I can ever find receivers I can afford, there are three more kits in my storage room waiting to become "real"...