PDA

View Full Version : Century L1A1 receivers? Quality?

jjsmn
June 23, 2007, 20:11
Hello all,

What are your opinions on Century Inch receivers? How are their quality? How do they compare to the original? Will they work straight up with an L1A1 kit?

Wht about the Century Hammer and Sear for L1A1?

Thanks ,

JJS

Radio
June 23, 2007, 20:47
I would recommend you stand back, for you have just asked a Very Loaded Newbie Question.

Century receivers are widely panned as total crap by a majority of Board members. "There are far better fish in the sea than this; run far away, you don't need this kind of heartache; pick something easier like climbing Mount Everest for your first build." Some will tell you the rest of us are full of manure, as the Century receiver is easily worked into a decent unit. "Anybody with a measure of skill can build one; the ones who can't are 'assemblers' not 'builders' and possess NO gunsmithing skills; the problems aren't that hard to overcome."

The core problem is that Century "quality control" depends on the phase of the Moon and how many angels are dancing on the head of a pin at a given moment. It's up and down, right and left, all over the map. You can get a decent CAI receiver, or you can get an "Angry Beaver" nightmare that has been gnawed to death. So, for your CAI receiver, which is it? You won't find out until you start building on it. Only then will most of the difficulties make themselves known.

Personally, I would avoid a Century. Save your money and get some quality, you'll thank yourself later. Why roll the dice like that when you could get a DSA, or maybe an IMBEL, or perhaps even the lowly Entreprise. The infamous, problematic "unibrow" feed ramp is another unfortunate feature.

CAI h/t/s is a fourth-rate el cheapo parts set compared to FSE, DSA or even the factory foreign parts. However, you can make them work.

--Radio

Arby
June 24, 2007, 00:15
It's a question of what is cost-effective. If economy is your prime directive, then maybe a CAI receiver is worth it. If not, then the other options mentioned by RADIO may be the better options. In the case of the fire control parts, Radio's suggestion is the odds-on favorite.

If the L1A1 parts kit is top-shelf, then the best bet may be to utilize the best parts available as regards receiver and 922(r) compliance parts. If you are cobbling together an inexpensive build and you have time on your hands, then the budget options may be the most attractive alternative. There are many posters here that claim good luck and performance with Century receivers (and parts, in some instances). Others have not been so happy.

If the kit is high quality, then the other parts, including receiver, may warrant the preferred options. Part of the question may be answered best by answering the question: "How much is my time worth?" If you run into fitment problems with Century parts, you may have to endure one or more trial trips to the range to sort things out. Some have had problems with other manufacturers, too, but the consensus seems to be that the problems occur less and are more easily rectifiable with FSE and other non-Century components (I have never bought from Century, so the value of my opinion is limited).

Whaterver your choice, the best of luck to you, and please post the results of your efforts and experience.

ce
June 24, 2007, 11:18
What?
Wattsamatta, you no a like a Century?

You gotta Century, you no like a, I take it offa you from you hands, no more problems. Issa arright, I like a Century. Issa purry good.

Everybody a talka too mush, anna nobody gotta Century, only gotta talka too mush.

Anyway, you no gonna getta Century, only Century gotta 20, they find a buncha somebody leave it laying around, they calla my man, tell him, 'Hey, you wanta Century, you got it, $299, senda money right away'.

Whatta my gonna do, I tell him betta get 2. Cost me $700, I gotta 2.

So, wattasamatta you, you some a kinda Big Shot, you gonna make a phone call, nice looking girl, she comma right over, gotta buncha receivers in a paper bag, ooh, yeah, thissa for the Big Shot, he's a gonna build a FAL, Mr. Big Shot.

I not gonna tella you no more, you wanta Century, you betta get 2, now they only gotta 18, anna after that, no more.

indy_Muaddib
June 24, 2007, 11:38
i see CE started drinking early today.

jay.sharkbait
June 24, 2007, 11:39
Depends on how one defines a happy ending.

bait

ce
June 24, 2007, 11:56
I'll tell ya what, Indy, you might call Court and see if he got any of these. The last time Century " found " 19 of 'em, he bought 'em all.

These are late model Unibrows, with minor fitting issues, none too catastrophic to detail here, they are cut for inch topcovers and mags, though.

So I fitted some inch mags by rounding out the locking tab on the front end because the recess is cut round instead of square on the Century. Metric mags will fit, but they won't stay in the gun under battery, so that sux.

I'm going to mount an Imbel barrel, with some South African R1 furniture I got from Hughinch, and then scrub the parkerizing off with sandpaper to give it an antique finish to match the lower.

On the other one, I'll try to find an inch barrel, and I'll mate it with a Brit Longbutt lower I have.

I wish I had an inch barrel.

I think I'l wish in one hand, and shit in the other, and see which fills up first.

Radio
June 24, 2007, 19:12
I'm concerned that you'll post a pic of THAT. :uhoh:

And, in your first post, it's supposed to be, "wattsamatta U" and, somewhere in there, you are supposed to say something like, "you no like the Century, the beeg boss maybe send you to swim with da fishes, capiche?" or a similar variation. You also failed to include the old required standard, "speecy spicy meatball".

Wattsamatta U??

AndyC
June 24, 2007, 20:30
Read the Bug Tussel & ce "Century Review" (http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=175591)