PDA

View Full Version : Hi-temp Duplicolor

mohshard
June 21, 2007, 08:42
Just looking at Bandits WECSOG page, and I have a question. I like the original painted-on finish on the Imbels, and the engine/high temperature paints appear to be a close match.

After curing at 400degrees, how well do they hold up to wear, scratches, solvents? I usually use Hoppes no9 or CLP when cleaning, not brake/carb cleaner.

Anyone have any experience? I plan on parking one of my kits, but would like one of the Imbels to look semi-factory.

Thanks.

XHardrock
June 21, 2007, 10:21
I have used it on a few AK's with good results but use Gunkote on the FAL's.
It holds up with #9 and the ease of receiving scratches depends on the surface prep., you need to blast or park for good bite.
The only advantage I see for it's use would be availability and ease of touchup, since they require the same surface prep.
Oh yea,,,almost forgot,,,,ak's are suppose to be ugly.

SHARPSHOOTER
June 21, 2007, 12:24
It actually can be very durable if you do a good surface prep and lay it down right. In fact I have looked at a couple of builds that really were sharp when done with it . It lays on thick though it is not like gunkote or duracoat.

crcksht
June 22, 2007, 10:14
Its fairly durable, but if it gets scratched, just buy another $5 can and touch it up. The common solvents like CLP, Hoppes 9 and FP-10 don't seem to harm it. To be on the safe side, cure at 325-350.

ElRon
June 22, 2007, 13:48
GhettoKote is a time honored finish among the thrifty. Damn you WalMart for discontinuing it!

jerrymrc
June 22, 2007, 15:01
Originally posted by ElRon
GhettoKote is a time honored finish among the thrifty. Damn you WalMart for discontinuing it!

Thats why I bought 4 cans when it was on closeout. :biggrin:

I like the stuff. If prepped and baked properly and allowed to sit it has proved to be a very good finish. I have one gun I painted 5 years ago and it looks fine and is not a safe queen.