View Full Version : Hi-temp Duplicolor

June 21, 2007, 08:42
Just looking at Bandits WECSOG page, and I have a question. I like the original painted-on finish on the Imbels, and the engine/high temperature paints appear to be a close match.

After curing at 400degrees, how well do they hold up to wear, scratches, solvents? I usually use Hoppes no9 or CLP when cleaning, not brake/carb cleaner.

Anyone have any experience? I plan on parking one of my kits, but would like one of the Imbels to look semi-factory.

June 21, 2007, 10:21
I have used it on a few AK's with good results but use Gunkote on the FAL's.
It holds up with #9 and the ease of receiving scratches depends on the surface prep., you need to blast or park for good bite.
The only advantage I see for it's use would be availability and ease of touchup, since they require the same surface prep.
Oh yea,,,almost forgot,,,,ak's are suppose to be ugly.

June 21, 2007, 12:24
It actually can be very durable if you do a good surface prep and lay it down right. In fact I have looked at a couple of builds that really were sharp when done with it . It lays on thick though it is not like gunkote or duracoat.

June 22, 2007, 10:14
Its fairly durable, but if it gets scratched, just buy another $5 can and touch it up. The common solvents like CLP, Hoppes 9 and FP-10 don't seem to harm it. To be on the safe side, cure at 325-350.

June 22, 2007, 13:48
GhettoKote is a time honored finish among the thrifty. Damn you WalMart for discontinuing it!

June 22, 2007, 15:01
Originally posted by ElRon
GhettoKote is a time honored finish among the thrifty. Damn you WalMart for discontinuing it!

Thats why I bought 4 cans when it was on closeout. :biggrin:

I like the stuff. If prepped and baked properly and allowed to sit it has proved to be a very good finish. I have one gun I painted 5 years ago and it looks fine and is not a safe queen.