PDA

View Full Version : AK question

A.G. WILSON
June 20, 2007, 15:22
Yes, I know this is the FAL files, and I got a couple of them. I also just acquired a Yugo AK. Most of you guys work on just about any gun you can get yer hands on so I figured someone here could help me with this AK question. How do you headspace an AK? What happens if you replace the bolt-carrier and bolt with 'new' ones? Thanks for a speedy reply.

owlcreekok
June 20, 2007, 15:48
You know the pin that holds the barrel onto the front trunnion ?

The hole for it is drilled when the rifle is "headpsaced" during original assembly.

If you have too little headspace after changing bolts you can use a finish reamer (for the rifle's chambering, assuming 7.62 x 39) to tweak it . If you have too much headspace after changing bolts then you are sort of hosed. I guess you could wrap each round with a litle tape.

Kidding about the tape.

W.E.G.
June 20, 2007, 16:22
Originally posted by A.G. WILSON
What happens if you replace the bolt-carrier and bolt with 'new' ones? Thanks for a speedy reply.

Do you have some idea that the headspace on your rifle is excessive with the existing parts?

I've measured a few that were assembled with original trunion, pin, barrel, carrier and bolt. They all would swallow an x39 no-go gage.

You see where this is headed.

bykerhd
June 20, 2007, 16:31
Makes you wonder if those Pakistani gunsmiths building AKs, and about anything else, worry much about headspace. Of course they have those high-tech backyard forges with files and hammers to make sure they are just right every time.

W.E.G.
June 20, 2007, 17:21
Yes...my head is vedddddy spessss-ed.

Would you like to try the hookah?

(BTW your grandmother's porch furniture is missing.)

NoNotAgain
June 20, 2007, 18:34
Originally posted by A.G. WILSON
Yes, I know this is the FAL files, and I got a couple of them. I also just acquired a Yugo AK. Most of you guys work on just about any gun you can get yer hands on so I figured someone here could help me with this AK question. How do you headspace an AK? What happens if you replace the bolt-carrier and bolt with 'new' ones? Thanks for a speedy reply.

The bolt carrier in an AK does nothing other than lock and unlock the bolt. It does not change the headspace.

If the new bolt is too tight you can file the backside of the lugs to open up the headspace, which is what I would do rather than drilling the barrel and front trunion for a larger barrel pin.

If the headspace is too large, either another bolt (its possible to TIG weld the lugs) or removing the barrel pin and redrilling the trunion and barrel after headspacing for a new larger pin.

gunplumber
June 20, 2007, 19:28
and know what you're checking!

a live round is not a go gauge!

I've read complaints about US go gauges, but my original military ones coincide well with my saami ones.

USMC 0341
June 25, 2007, 00:24
If you have reason to believe the headspace on your AK needs to be adjusted they do make oversized barrel pins for them.

As long as the error is not too large all you would have to do is hammer out the current pin, move the barrel into or out from the trunion just the small amount required so it works with your bolt and go/no-go gauges, and then drill/ream the hole and notch on the barrel to fit the oversized pin. Then drive the pin in and you're done.

Court in Fl
June 25, 2007, 00:50
Not to change the subject, but do you guys think that the AK ammo with the Steel cases are more forgiving when it comes to having excessive headspace ?

As for having case head separations.

Court in FL.

gw11
June 25, 2007, 17:42
A.G. WILSON

If you have to Drill and re-pin MSC has ZZ gages
MSC (http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/N2DRVSH?PACACHE=000000019421499)

Just remember to go with .0015" to .0018" over your ream size. Cut the pin down in length and bevel the edges a little for these are hard and can brake if you hammer off side.

gw11