PDA

View Full Version : fal trigger question

ACCURRETT
June 19, 2007, 08:30
To lighten the trigger pull on my fal, all i have to do is replace the spring in the handgaurd correct? The spring that is on the little rod right behind the trigger.?

And if so couldn't you just cut the spring down a little and just stretch it back out a tad to lighten the pull or is that a big no no?

The reason i am asking is because the current spring is so damn heavy, coming in about about 12 pounds, and once i removed that spring and rod i noticed that it was only two pounds. My accurracy (no pun intended) is crap with a 12 pound pull. So couldn't you just cut that spring down or replace just that spring with one around three pounds and everything be kosher?

Also how do you get the entire fcg out. it needs cleaned in there but i can't figure out how to get the safety and trigger, disconnector and hammer out?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. thank you all

Mosin Guy
June 19, 2007, 08:33
http://www.falconarms.com/xcart/product.php?productid=252&cat=14&page=1

W.E.G.
June 19, 2007, 08:35
I think you will find this thread instructive.

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1621512

AndyC
June 19, 2007, 08:56
Please make that thread a sticky - it's fantastic.

whatnow
June 19, 2007, 09:07
I'd get the Falcon spring kit, short of a trigger job, this is one of the better things things you can do. The trigger, sear and hammer spring all work together in a balancing act. Modifying one spring may mess up some function of the trigger. Parts rifles today can be made up of new, used or out of spec springs. I have seen several new way over powered hammer springs come in, I had to remove 4 to 5 coils to get it closer to factory spec.

Having said all that, I'd take .5 coils off the trigger return spring. Not much more. I have experimented with this in the past with my FAL, taking off even a hair too much more would end up with the trigger not resetting.

Bill
wspringfield@comcast.net

Edgsmth
June 19, 2007, 09:17
Might you have your sear spring and trigger spring reversed?

I put an FSE HTS with their springs in the STG I built and wound up with a pull just under 4 lbs. by fish scale. Not sure how accurate that method is but the trigger is nice and FSE claims no more than 4 1/2 lbs using their springs.

ALL FAL
June 19, 2007, 18:25
Thanks very much for this thread Gent's, as I was spring hunting yesterday locally......Duh..

Now I will try Falcon and fse sets first. YEP, I'm a Tinkerer. Sometimes in a Tooltime way..LOL

Safety first.:biggrin:

Radio
June 19, 2007, 22:31
I still want to see how you can lighten your trigger pull by altering the spring in the handguard.

--Radio

shootist87122
June 19, 2007, 23:29
You have options, but the FAL no workie if there is not enough spring to reset the HTS (Hammer, Trigger, Sear).

The OEM trigger return spring does have a "bit" of overkill. The Falcon TPR replacement spring kit is much lighter, btw, and comes with a reduced powder hammer spring as well. (They recommend you use them as a set.) It will certainly improve on what you have - possibly to 6.5 - 7 Lbs. Falcon springs are top notch. I have not used his full HTS sets.

FSE ships their newest version HTS set with a reduced power sear spring and a (greatly) reduced power trigger return spring. These give a pull of 4 - 4.25 Lbs in three of my FALs and a couple of a friend's. These are working with full power hammer springs. FSE does not sell the springs (only) since they are designed to work with his newest version HTS sets.

RunninR10T
July 24, 2007, 19:13
I happened upon this info the other day and thought this might be useful.

According to G.A. Boss...

Trigger Work:

I[t] really didn't take much work to greatly improve the trigger on my Stg-58. I first ordered two spring assortments from Brownells (Wolfe's #69 + #71 @$9.50 each) to find a lighter but still reliable trigger spring combination. Combined with some fine stoning of the sides and hooks of my DSA trigger parts, I only replaced two springs to smooth and lower my trigger pull to about 3.5 lbs. It breaks clean with almost no creep now. Just make sure that you replace both springs as a combination.

Note: When cutting springs, cut one coil longer than required, then flatten both ends on belt sander about coil on each end, which results in correct length.

Trigger Return Spring (behind pistol grip) - Replace with Wolfe .200 OD, .025 wire diameter, cut 14 coils long from Brownell's #69 spring assortment.

Hammer Spring - Replace with a Wolfe .255 OD, .035 wire diameter, cut 36 coils long from Brownell's #71 spring assortment.

NOTE: So far, the trigger job has worked well for me, but I do not normally use hard-primered military surplus rounds. It does lighten up the hammer fall and I have had a few misfires with British surplus .308 NATO.

Quoted from here (http://t6aluminum.tripod.com/FAL_STG58.htm)

Cheers

thanatos56
July 24, 2007, 23:22
Originally posted by W.E.G.
I think you will find this thread instructive.

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1621512

Of interest might be:

1) I have had the best results in eliminating stiction in the trigger group by lubing with Tetra Gun Grease... its about the slipperiest stuff I have found.

2) To eliminate overtravel, lightly weld the semi-auto groove in the selector, and then file back down until the trigger just releases the hammer.

3) You can eliminate some of the creep by stoning the sear and trigger shoulders square, but... do NOT lessen the engagement depth! FALs ain't got all that much engagement, to start with.

Best (FAL) trigger I have ever done was removing 3 coils from the hammer spring, 1 coil from the trigger plunger spring, and leaving the sear spring alone. Every damned time I fiddled with the sear spring, it talked back in a most truculent manner. If you start trimming springs? Best have some stock ones to put back in after you get greedy and muck it up. (Ask me how I know...) I also polished every damned surface that contacted another with emory cloth...

That trigger in my Imbel? Breaks at slightly less than 3 pounds, zero over-travel, and just the slightest bit of creep. Unfortunately... I haven't been able to duplicate it in another rifle. :(

Am probably going to try the Falcon spring set in my DSA Paratrooper, just to see how it compares to my trimming efforts....

XHardrock
July 25, 2007, 03:59
Just another plug for FSE.
I have the Falcon in a few and opted for FSE on my latest and it is a very nice addition. I haven't measured the pull but have seen recent post stating 4.5#, I believe it.