PDA

View Full Version : Loctite Para Stock Bolt?

SIG552
June 14, 2007, 10:24
Gentlemen,
I am about to connect the stock to my Para lower again. I did this a few months ago but fuxked it up and there was a little play between the 2 parts. Seperating them was a nightmare but my Dremel saved the day (see pic).

I ordered a new stock bolt from Falcon Arms (thanks Ron) and need to know: should I loctite the stock bolt to the lower or just loctite the little set screw in place or loctite both?

Thanks guys,

SIG552

Scott V2
June 14, 2007, 19:35
I personally wouldn't use locktite on either.

English Mike
June 14, 2007, 20:03
Screw the bolt in as hard as you can, then tighten the spreader screw down hard.
If it loosens, then just tighten both again.

The new build Para I shot at FALFest stayed solid after initial sighting in with one re tightening.

SIG552
June 15, 2007, 04:16
OK thanks guys. I will see how tight I can get them. I threaded the last set screw though so I'll go easy on this one. My Dremel cringes at the sight of my FAL now.
Thanks again,

SIG552

W.E.G.
June 15, 2007, 06:34
I can't see any harm on using BLUE loctite on it.

Maybe while you are still tinkering you might leave the threads untreated.

Once I have a gun the way I want it, I loctite all threaded fasteners that could loosen in such a way to compromise function of the rifle. Surely, your stock coming loose would be a problem if it were to happen at the wrong time.

SIG552
June 15, 2007, 11:18
The thing that irritates me most is the play that I had between the lower receiver and the stock. My Galil has a similar type stock but a totally different way of fastening it to the receiver. Much better IMHO, with a frikkin' big pin through both parts providing structural intergrity as well as a good join.

Anyway Gary, am I correct in assuming that Blue Loctite is undo-able?

Thanks,

SIG552

Cozmacozmy
June 15, 2007, 11:25
A little heat from a soldering iron just sitting on the bolt will release BLUE loctight no problem. Heat will release RED loctight also, just need more of it.

SIG552
June 15, 2007, 13:19
Thanks Jeff,
I'll get a little bottle of the blue flavour!

SIG552

W.E.G.
June 15, 2007, 15:31
I have found the blue to yield under ordinary torque of a screwdriver or wrench.

The only thing the blue seems to reliably defeat is vibration.