PDA

View Full Version : Drill Press Recommendations?

PAmark
June 12, 2007, 15:49
I was considering getting a cheap bench top drill press for various home projects (wife asked what I wanted for father's day), and wondered what I need to consider if I want to use the press for occasional gunsmithing projects. One thing that came to mind was building an 80% receiver, which was never a serious consideration before due to lack of tools.

What should I be looking for in terms of specs.? Is 1/3 hp and 1/2" chuck capacity enough for most projects? Any preference between Craftsman, Delta, Hitachi and Ryobi (or other brands)? What about spindle travel? Thanks in advance for any insight on this!

Indycar
June 12, 2007, 18:09
I picked up a Craftsman on sale for under $100 and couldn't be more pleased with it. It's a bench top model and came with a small vise. it is not the strongest, most powerful one out there. But for home / hobby projects, it does a fine job. When I need something bigger or stronger, I have friends with more expensive floor stand presses I can use.

The biggest thing about a drill press, is how much "runout" or in more simpler terms "wobble" that the main shaft, bearing and chuck has. The best way to check is to put a long drill bit or a straight rod in the chuck and see how much noticable wobble there is at the end of the bit while running.

A 1/3 or 1/4 HP should be plenty powerful enough for home/hobby use.

YMMV

"Indy"

Edgsmth
June 12, 2007, 20:23
$300, you arrange shipping

stashua
June 13, 2007, 07:11
Originally posted by PAmark
I was considering getting a cheap bench top drill press for various home projects

I would be careful how "cheap" you go. For example - I needed some long nose vise grips to use for welding clamps. I bought a bunch of Chinese knock offs figuring they were going to get spattered up anyway so why buy quality ones. After trying to use them I was so damn mad at how useless they were they all ended up in the junk. So I basicly wiped my a$$ with $20. The moral of the story is you'll never be sorry for spending a little more to get quality tools. Your frustration level will be way down and you won't have to worry about wasting hours of work on a project when a tool you're using falis in the middle of what you're doing ruining the workpiece.

Ken

mj2evans
June 13, 2007, 16:44
I have been using a little bench top Ryobi for years. It was a great deal for $79 out the door. I will get a floor drill press when I move to a larger place but I will keep this little guy too.

jwaters
June 13, 2007, 18:28
You probably won't do an 80% receiver very well with a $100 drill press, well maybe a 1919a4, and that takes some fanangling.

JW