PDA

View Full Version : How do you turn the Gas tube?

Texxut
June 11, 2007, 21:01
I have a Century built L1A1.
Is it possible to turn the gas tube without messing things up?
The two little holes, at the front of the tube, look like they would line up with the handguard holes better if I could turn that tube, just a tad.

jim1of6
June 11, 2007, 21:10
You need to remove the pin that keeps the gas tube from rotating. You'll see it on the bottom of the gas block where the gas tube screws into it. You need to remove the gas adjustment nut first.

W.E.G.
June 11, 2007, 21:30
http://www.falfiles.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=1275084

Texxut
June 11, 2007, 21:41
Thanks for the pic, that makes Jim's information much more understandable.

Once I move the tube, do I have to redrill for the pin?

jerrymrc
June 11, 2007, 22:02
Originally posted by Texxut
Thanks for the pic, that makes Jim's information much more understandable.

Once I move the tube, do I have to redrill for the pin?

No. screw tube all the way in. back off untill pin fits. Done.

Texxut
June 11, 2007, 22:19
Thanks Jerry.
This is a great site, you've all been good help to me.

Ted

Radio
June 11, 2007, 22:55
Q: "How do you Turn ze Gas Tube?"

A: STRAP WRENCH after ze pin is out. Carbon can be a bitch.

Survey Punk
June 12, 2007, 00:10
And when youze drop the pin and it flounces to the dark side of the Moon, cuss.
Then cut a proper length of coathanger wire and soldier on. :beer:

JB

owlcreekok
June 12, 2007, 05:57
Also keep in mind that not a damn one of us has a fuggin strap wrench. We use any old pair of pliers we can actually FIND. We then pad the jaws with whatever else we CAN find.

:angel:

I have had but one that needed pliers in the end. I soaked a few Rhodies in kerosene for a day or two, then they turned right out.

FALs won't run without a coathanger gas tube pin. - Falgod axiom.

W.E.G.
June 12, 2007, 07:47
I also keep a pair of lineman's pliers and a utility knife in the door pocket of my car.

That way, whenever I see one of those just-posted roadside political candidate signs that has a wire support of attractive diameter, I can jump out at the traffic light and liberate a shaft of fresh pin stock. A Luke Skywalker flourish with the freshly-acquired pin shaft is then usually in order.

If the light lasts long enough, I'll do a utility-knife slashing attack on the "We Buy Houses" or "Lose Weight Now" plastick utility-pole signs in the same maneuovre - even if to the horror of the other drivers at the intersection. :D

PBR Streetgang
June 12, 2007, 08:28
Righty tighty - leftie loosie?

KIT
June 12, 2007, 09:04
Originally posted by W.E.G.
I also keep a pair of lineman's pliers and a utility knife in the door pocket of my car.

That way, whenever I see one of those just-posted roadside political candidate signs that has a wire support of attractive diameter, I can jump out at the traffic light and liberate a shaft of fresh pin stock. A Luke Skywalker flourish with the freshly-acquired pin shaft is then usually in order.

If the light lasts long enough, I'll do a utility-knife slashing attack on the "We Buy Houses" or "Lose Weight Now" plastick utility-pole signs in the same maneuovre - even if to the horror of the other drivers at the intersection. :D

May the 'farce' be with you W.E.G. .....................................

-KIT-

Nightops
June 12, 2007, 11:03
Originally posted by Radio
Q: "How do you Turn ze Gas Tube?"

A: STRAP WRENCH after ze pin is out. Carbon can be a bitch.

I usually poke a pin punch through both vent holes and turn it by that.

owlcreekok
June 12, 2007, 11:21
Originally posted by Nightops

Yup.

I wasn't gonna admit it up front though.

:bow:

ostrobothnian
June 12, 2007, 11:28

Heck yeah! Vee don't need no stinkin strap wrench! Vee use a ponch vit de approximate diameter of ze gas tube hole. http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k152/finlandssvensk/hyper.gif

Radio
June 12, 2007, 13:27
If you're gonna booger up the gas vent holes with a pin punch, why be such a freakin' wimp...
PLEEEEEEZE....
GO ALLLLLL THE WAAAAAAAAYYY
and clamp a dang vice grips to the tube. Show it who's boss. A little bit of crushing won't hurt a thing. :wink:

--Radio

owlcreekok
June 12, 2007, 13:48
Go on back downstairs, Radio. Evahboddy done figgered out that what you know about WECSOG'in wouldn't hurt if it was in yer eye.

:rolleyes:

Radio
June 12, 2007, 15:50
You be funny. Stole some more of Randy's ppepp ppilllllz again? Now gimme that punch before you hurt yourself.

--Radio :tongue:

Radio
June 12, 2007, 15:59
BTW, I've actually GOT a strap wrench, useful little devil. And I employed it on a recalcitrant gas tube, one of my IMBEL kits, wouldn't turn for love nor money. I have read for many years of stoopidfuqueros taking a pair of pliers or even vise grips to the tube and boogering it, so I wasn't about to make the same mistake... the strap wrench worked like a charm and didn't damage the tube at all. This particular gas system had been massively carboned up, the regulator was also a major problem. When I finally got it off and cleaned all the threads with a dental pick and wire brush, the regulator was STILL very tight on the gas block. Turned out to be an odd stacking of tolerances apparently; another regulator fit fine. The one that had been on the original rifle probably hadn't been adjusted in decades. I was able to fit it on another gas block but it was so chewed up I've just kept it in my store of spares.

--Radio

brownknees
June 12, 2007, 17:38
I can jump out at the traffic light and liberate a shaft of fresh pin stock.

So You're the guy that keeps taking my "target backers & stands":rofl:

J. Armstrong
June 12, 2007, 18:49
Originally posted by jerrymrc

No. screw tube all the way in. back off untill pin fits. Done.

+1 - don't be tryin' no customholelinin'upstuff. They are there for a reason.

What that reason might be is another questiuon entirely:confused: :biggrin:

Texxut
June 12, 2007, 21:09
Well, the rifle works really well, so I'm just going to leave the tube alone. I do appreciate the education I have received on how this thing works. :biggrin: