PDA

View Full Version : Leave it to beavers

Edgsmth
June 11, 2007, 18:59
Doing some comparisons between the CAI R1A1 and the new STG and I noticed that the front end was loose. tore it all apart and finally have a barrel and receiver for the para build. I chopped off the Tantal type brake and about 3/4" of barrel on the chop saw. Figure on cutting this one down to 18.25" total with a permanent brake from the GPG group buy. \

Barrel is bipod cut, looks like an STG barrel but markings are a bit different. SN is 40657, the rest looks like this or as close as I could read.

Does anyone recognize these markings? TIA

jwaters
June 11, 2007, 19:56
I think that's a Belgian Proof. So I'd think a G1 Barrel, but does it have a bayonet lug, or threaded? If not lug, not G1, but could be a Belgian STG Barrel, but it would have to be early (I thought first 20,000 or so).

JW

KIT
June 11, 2007, 20:14
FN manufactured barrel w/ FN proofs. A nice find.

-KIT-

Radio
June 11, 2007, 20:40
It is a standard bipod-cut FN Herstal barrel.

The "ELG" circle with crown is the standard FN proofmark. FN Herstal did the first 20,000 StGs so this isn't an StG. With a serial like that, if it were an StG it would have a Steyr proofmark instead of an FN.

--Radio

gunnut1
June 11, 2007, 22:04
Originally posted by jwaters
I think that's a Belgian Proof. So I'd think a G1 Barrel, but does it have a bayonet lug, or threaded? If not lug, not G1, but could be a Belgian STG Barrel, but it would have to be early (I thought first 20,000 or so).

JW

the lug on the G1 is not for bayonets. It is for the QD devices!

Falcon
June 12, 2007, 06:21
To further elaborate on our other esteemed members information, the proofs you provided drawings of were applied by a controller (inspector) from the Liege proofhouse. True they are common to Belgian manufactured weapons (and used to ID FN made parts), but not technically applied by FN employees.

They are specifically chamber proofs (ELG crown) to signify it passed the proof firing phase and are applied to the firearms major components (holding the pressure) afterwards. The "* over H" was issued to and applied by controller Christophe Woit, he was employed with them between the years 1938 and 1968.

jwaters
June 12, 2007, 20:37
gunnut1,

you are correct, I wasn't thinking, though I do have one of those abominations that the Turks made (I think) that fit's a G1 and is a bayonet.

But, yes, I should have said muzzle device

Interesting Barrel if it has the lug.

Edgsmth
June 12, 2007, 22:31
So it was a bad thing I did chopping the barrrel off with my chop saw?

Edgsmth
June 12, 2007, 23:12
Originally posted by Falcon
To further elaborate on our other esteemed members information, the proofs you provided drawings of were applied by a controller (inspector) from the Liege proofhouse. True they are common to Belgian manufactured weapons (and used to ID FN made parts), but not technically applied by FN employees.

They are specifically chamber proofs (ELG crown) to signify it passed the proof firing phase and are applied to the firearms major components (holding the pressure) afterwards. The "* over H" was issued to and applied by controller Christophe Woit, he was employed with them between the years 1938 and 1968.

Thank You, sir. :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

jwaters
June 13, 2007, 18:25
It's not a bad thing, it's what you wanted.

JW

Edgsmth
June 19, 2007, 09:53
Actually the beavers already buggered the end, turning it down farther than need be to fit into the Tantal brake.

What was that about working on the cheapest part over an expensive one?