PDA

View Full Version : Stovepipe

Edgsmth
June 10, 2007, 19:30
Took the STG/Imbel to the range today. Shoots better than my CAI right off the workbench. Got the gas system adjusted to about 6, forget now and loaded a few in a mag. It was cycling fine until I squeezed the trigger and the hammer fell with no ignition. Looked up and there was an empty sticking out of the ejection port. It had caught on the carrier, not in the bolt.

What concerns me is that the hammer will fall out of battery. With the rim holding the carrier back it is a non issue. However, when I replaced the empty with a penny between the carrier and breech the hammer would strike the firing pin. This don't seem right. Any ideas or is this the way it was made? TIA.

elbo
June 10, 2007, 20:01
Turn the rifle upsidedown and watch the bolt through the mag well. You will get some idea of how far back the carrier is after the bolt is down behind the locking shoulder.

and What part of the trigger mechanism do you think should have held the hammer back?

Edgsmth
June 10, 2007, 20:44
Thanks all. I tried blocking the bolt with various thicknesses of materials and it appears that the angle before lockup mostly makes for safe operation.

Still, with a penny in between the carrier and breech some firing pin protruded and the hammer did strike it.

Thanks to everyone who helped me build this.

Radio
June 11, 2007, 00:51
Just a note that the focus on what is in battery should be upon the BOLT, not the carrier. There is a very short amount of carrier movement after the bolt has already in fact fallen into full battery with lockup to the locking shoulder. It's sometimes easy to forget that these are two separate pieces with synchronized yet still separate movements.

Run the action with the dustcover off and magazine out so you can see everything as well as possible, and look for yourself.

--Radio

elbo
June 11, 2007, 05:59
Originally posted by Raspeguy
So very true. That final short carrier movement after it has cammed the rear of the bolt into battery (but not yet restrained it in that position)
I think you are wrong. After the carrier has cammed the bolt it is as restrained as it is designed to be.