PDA

View Full Version : Prvi Partizan brass - small flash hole?

English Mike
June 10, 2007, 18:30
Started to resize some P-P .270Win. brass just now & the flash hole is smaller than the de-capping pin.

Has anyone else come across this?

It is definitely Boxer primed but the de-capping pin is too large to fit through the hole.

Once I DO find a way to the spent primer out, is drilling out the hole worth the effort?

Shootability
June 10, 2007, 18:41
My lee resizer is robust enough to punch it out - yep had the same problem.

English Mike
June 11, 2007, 19:08
Only have one decapping pin at present - I' think it can wait until I hace a spare or two.....

shootist87122
June 11, 2007, 20:23
Mike,

Is it possible your decapping pin is not centered in the die and causing the problem?

The only Privi I reload (7x55 & .308) is Graf headstamp and was imported as a reloading component. Primer holes on those two are full size if not a hair oversize.

Joe

TerryN
June 12, 2007, 11:12
Mike: it's going to depend on how much of this brass you have. Sinclair has specialized tools for this application, but that gets spendy if you only have a few boxes of brass.

Assuming that you get it decapped, I'd just get out my numbered drill set and match the closest bit with a standard (.080") flash hole and drill them out.

English Mike
June 12, 2007, 13:35
Originally posted by shootist87122
Mike,

Is it possible your decapping pin is not centered in the die and causing the problem?

The only Privi I reload (7x55 & .308) is Graf headstamp and was imported as a reloading component. Primer holes on those two are full size if not a hair oversize.

Joe

Definitely a smaller hole than the Winchester & Norma 270 brass I dealt with first.

Headstamp is nny from P-P's own factory in Uzice.

There's only a few boxes, so I might just bin it.

bykerhd
June 12, 2007, 17:47
Don't trash it ENGLISH MIKE.
Set it aside for one of those famous English rainy days when you're bored and looking for something to do. Opening up the flashholes of a few boxes worth of brass really shouldn't take long. Once you are set up.
Sounds like a good excuse to acquire a Dremel with an adjustable chuck that will hold drill bits. :wink:

English Mike
June 12, 2007, 18:45
Fixed it:biggrin:

Only two of the four boxes were undersized - different Lot #.

Put them in the drill press & set it to open up most of the flash hole without drilling the primer.

After that it was a piece of cake.