PDA

View Full Version : Reducing the width of front site

Tom Jefferson
June 10, 2007, 18:00
Has anyone tried reducing the width of the front site in the interest of greater accuracy?

The width of the front sites of some other military rifles are thinner (usually blade sites) and the FAL (and the Garrand) just seem quite wide. I wonder if thinning them down might be useful.

I do understand how the width of some military sites are used as rough range estimators. That's not an important consideration.

W.E.G.
June 10, 2007, 18:51
I think its a bad idea.

It won't make your rifle one bit more accurate, but it will make the front sight much more difficult to observe under conditions of adverse lighting.

Jerod
June 10, 2007, 20:20
It will give you a more precise sight picture . Great for target work , not so great for combat . You will get better groups ! I also hate the m16a2 square bulky front sight and always change them out to the finer round m16a1 type right away . Good luck !

Bug Tussell
June 20, 2007, 05:56
I shot James (King James) G-1 at FAL Fest. He had the front sight turned down (by Sledgehammer IIRC).
For the match that I used it in I liked it very much. But I would also like a smaller rear peep sight as well.
A beautiful G-1 BTW.

English Mike
June 20, 2007, 13:39
Originally posted by Bug Tussell
I shot James (King James) G-1 at FAL Fest. He had the front sight turned down (by Sledgehammer IIRC).
For the match that I used it in I liked it very much. But I would also like a smaller rear peep sight as well.
A beautiful G-1 BTW.

I too shot James' rifle & agree with the above.