PDA

View Full Version : WTK: Herstal stoving match

J. Armstrong
June 10, 2007, 14:40
I am working on a friends Steyr import type 3 50.00. Overall very nice but somewhere along the way got a mismatched BHO and latch lever, plus the top cover has some very noticeable finish wear. The rest of the rifle is really quite good, but he'd like to bring her back to factory specs and freshen up her makeup a bit..
I'm curious as to opinions as to the best match to the original Herstal stoving. I've successfully refinished with GunKote, Durabake, and various rattlecan enamels, but don't have any on hand for comparison. Not a major deal, just curious as to others' experience. Tnx !

Jerod
June 15, 2007, 22:08
The small parts are easy to match and will blend in with the rest of the rifle easy and allow for a hint of error on the color/gloss . On the small parts you could use H&K black in Duracoat or Gunkote in semi-gloss with a light coat . The topcover will be harder to match . Duracoat and Gunkote will not give you the right stoving " Paint texture" . I would suggest buying a orig. FN NEW top cover . Tapco sold many new FN G1 top covers new in the wrap several years ago for around $10.00 to $20.00 each . I bet if you put a "Wanted to Buy new FN G1 Top cover " on the marketplace ads , some member will sell one to you. If you have to spend $30.00 on one , it is still cheaper than ordering a bottle of moly and the time you would have into it. I have been refinishing for several years , have used Gunkote [ The best ] , Duracoat , Norrels , Brownells , parkerizing and numerous other type finishes. I also own several NIB FN Herstal Fals to compare the current finishes with. If a person does not want to do it themselves , Mark @ ARS is a wealth of knowledge and may be able to do the job for you. He does great work . His handle on the board is " Gunplumber"

Good luck ! Jerod

J. Armstrong
June 15, 2007, 22:29
Thanks for your feedback - I appreciate it :beer:
I've done Gunkote in the pastwith good results, just didn't have anything redone with it to compare the match with this rifle. I agree it is an excellent finish, I think that's the direction I'll go based upon your input.
Swapped out the topcover with an FN cover I used on another build - you're right, much quicker and easier !!!
Thanks again.

pryde
June 15, 2007, 23:15
Gunkote is too shiny,

Duracoat is better for matching Herstal finish because you can make it more or less shiny depending on the ratio in which you mix it at. I find that a little less hardener than recommended by lauer will result in a finish close to original FN. (Using HK black)

chrsdwns
June 16, 2007, 00:34
There was actually a bit of variation on the texture on the FN paint jobs., depending upon who built the gun.

FN top covers don't match. They are thin matte black and they are stamped with FN markings. The FN commercial guns have top covers more like an Imbel with a thick, smooth semi gloss paint finish

J. Armstrong
June 16, 2007, 08:18
On a side note, I have also used flat finishesand then hit them with a light coat of satin clearcoat. Works well and may give a bit more protection, but is a bit thick - not sure that it is worth the effort, really, except maybe on furniture.
Thanks for the ideas, guys !