PDA

View Full Version : Mossberg 12 ga probs...

Sentinelofold
June 09, 2007, 04:44
I got a mossberg 500 that seems still good and tight that doesnt want to eject shells out of the mag tube to load them. Sometimes it throws them out the bottom when i rack the action. Anyone got any advice here???:? i am about to get mad at it and THEN its goin to a pawn shop i dont like....:devil: can anyone help save this gun from firearm hell and doom???

Robert

NHBandit
June 09, 2007, 05:14
Don't know how to fix it but IMHO Mossbergs suck. I had one once that would fire everytime you chambered a round, safety on or off, without touching the trigger... :uhoh:

Survey Punk
June 09, 2007, 07:25
Unfortunately, like alot of new toys nowadays, Mossbergs may need to be tweaked a bit to run right. I can't imagine ammo is so expensive they can't testfire every one, but hey...
The shell stop that holds the shells in the magazine tube may not have enough bend/spring to hold the shells until the mechanism is fully to the rear. Use dummys and work the action slowly and see if the shells aren't jumping from the magazine too soon.

JB

whirlibird
June 09, 2007, 08:07
Call Mossberg service dept, they've been good from what I've heard locally.

Tom Jefferson
June 09, 2007, 20:06
Had that problem with an older Mossberg 500.

The problem is feeding into the barrel with no guide for the shell. Anything off of perfect alignment stops your shell from feeding.

Solution: Using a dremel ( :biggrin: ) create a wide feed ramp at the bottom of the chamber...be parsimonious in your removal of metal.

I did so with a chronic problem as you describe and it was a true 100%, problem-never-happened-again fix. It took me 10 minutes to do from grinding wheel, sanding with 320, 400, 600 wet and dry sandpaper, polishing to completion.

owlcreekok
June 09, 2007, 22:34
The shell stop that holds the shells in the magazine tube may not have enough bend/spring to hold the shells until the mechanism is fully to the rear. Use dummys and work the action slowly and see if the shells aren't jumping from the magazine too soon.

Spot On.

The Mossy 500 is hands down my favorite shotgun. Had a many a one. Fixed no less than three with the exact problem. Without exception it was the shell stop bar malfunctioning for one reason or another. As long as the shell stays put until the fired one clears, the elevator stops the released shell and lifts it up to be slammed into battery. Do not despair, you'll get it fixed.