PDA

View Full Version : Bell and Carlson sar 4800 stock on an L1A1

CUGIR321
June 05, 2007, 20:26
This question has probably been addressed before but I can't find it in a search.

Has anyone modified this stock to fit a Century L1A1 with a metric receiver.

It looks like I may be able to dremel the front of the pistol grip and maybe epoxy something (so the spring and pin have a stop) into the pistol grip so I can mount the trigger return.

Has it been done and how? Change the trigger guard to an fal type???

vmtz
June 05, 2007, 20:58
Just use a metric lower. No mods needed then.

Vince

CUGIR321
June 05, 2007, 21:28
It has a metric lower....imbel....This stock, I don't believe, is quite the same as the original thumbhole stock that came with it.

I can't figure out how to post a picture here or I would.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by vmtz
[B]Just use a metric lower. No mods needed then.

vmtz
June 05, 2007, 22:05
Originally posted by CUGIR321
It has a metric lower....imbel....This stock, I don't believe, is quite the same as the original thumbhole stock that came with it.

I can't figure out how to post a picture here or I would.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by vmtz
[B]Just use a metric lower. No mods needed then.

If it has a metric lower, see if someone will sell you a thumb-hole off a SAR4800. You could just put the correct # of US parts and have a pistol grip, assuming it is not illegal where you live.

Vince

CUGIR321
June 05, 2007, 22:19
Vince! Vince!!!

!. Look at first post. I have a SAR4800 Stock made by Bell and Carlson.

2. I have an imbel receiver

3. L1A1 parts were used on the metric imbel receiver by Century arms.

4. The stock doesn't fit. The trigger stop won't fit. The receiver doesn't fit. The pistol grip on the sar 4800 stock doesn't have the long slot for the piece of metal running down to the bottom of it.

Originally posted by vmtz

If it has a metric lower, see if someone will sell you a thumb-hole off a SAR4800. You could just put the correct # of US parts and have a pistol grip, assuming it is not illegal where you live.

Vince

vmtz
June 05, 2007, 22:52
Vince! Vince!!!

!. Look at first post. I have a SAR4800 Stock made by Bell and Carlson.

2. I have an imbel receiver

3. L1A1 parts were used on the metric imbel receiver by Century arms.

4. The stock doesn't fit. The trigger stop won't fit. The receiver doesn't fit. The pistol grip on the sar 4800 stock doesn't have the long slot for the piece of metal running down to the bottom of it.

Inch and metric lower receiver parts are different. A metric lower uses a captured trigger return spring. Inch has it bolted/screwed to the pistol grip. What parts are on the upper receiver do not matter. You need to get the correct parts for whatever lower you have. You cannot easily modify a thumb-hole to fit either.

CUGIR321
June 05, 2007, 23:19
I'm sorry...maybe I don't understand. I just bought this fal.....G3 I know...this I don't.

Is there such a thing as an imbel inch receiver? This century gun (receiver) takes metric mags only. It is marked L1A1 sporter on the receiver.

The SAR stock looks to be made for metric parts...... Can I put a metric trigger return on this L1A1? Add a metric trigger guard? Or do I have to replace the whole receiver. To add the parts that fit the sar 4800 stock (which I'm not going to do)

This is where I'm confused...when you say I need a metric lower what parts exactly are you talking about? Help me please...I need specifics.

I've taken the gun apart...I can see the difference between metric and inch.

Inch and metric lower receiver parts are different. A metric lower uses a captured trigger return spring. Inch has it bolted/screwed to the pistol grip. What parts are on the upper receiver do not matter. You need to get the correct parts for whatever lower you have. You cannot easily modify a thumb-hole to fit either.

vmtz
June 05, 2007, 23:28
I'm sorry...maybe I don't understand. I just bought this fal.....G3 I know...this I don't.

A G3 is is a HK gun, not a FAL. Not an issue here.

Is there such a thing as an imbel inch receiver? This century gun (receiver) takes metric mags only. It is marked L1A1 sporter on the receiver.

There is such a thing as an Imbel receiver, one of the best made. L1A1 is what CAI stamped on them in in the early 90's. Most likely you have a metric receiver built with inch parts. Which means that you likely have an inch lower. Metric parts will not fit it.

The SAR stock looks to be made for metric parts...... Can I put a metric trigger return on this L1A1? Add a metric trigger guard? Or do I have to replace the whole receiver. To add the parts that fit the sar 4800 stock (which I'm not going to do)

See above about metric parts. At the moment inch parts are a bit rare. Metric parts are not hard to find. You can buy a metric lower recevier and it will fit on your upper receiver. You likely will have to change ther rear site since inch sites (open ear gas blocks) are higher then metric sites.

If you want to keep the inch lower you can buy the inch parts that will fit it.

This is where I'm confused...when you say I need a metric lower what parts exactly are you talking about? Help me please...I need specifics.

I've taken the gun apart...I can see the difference between metric and inch.

I hope this helps. Keep asking questions and we'll walk you through it.

Vince

Mosin Guy
June 05, 2007, 23:29
http://www.fnfal.com/falfiles/chart.html

CUGIR321
June 06, 2007, 06:28
An inch lower sounds like "one" part. I get the feeling you are talking about everything below the receiver...or more then one part.

vmtz
June 06, 2007, 08:10
An inch lower sounds like "one" part. I get the feeling you are talking about everything below the receiver...or more then one part.

A lower as we are using the term is the part that hold the fire control group, pistol grip, rear site and pistol grip.

Vince

ElRon
June 06, 2007, 11:55
Century's are the gift that keeps on a givin'.

vmtz
June 06, 2007, 17:08
Originally posted by ElRon
Century's are the gift that keeps on a givin'.

Dude, don't make this any more complex. Let him learn what he needs too and then you can debate all you want about CAI.

Vince

NHBandit
June 09, 2007, 05:34
If it's a Century built on an inch lower the cheap way out would be to post a WTB in the marketplace for an inch thumbhole stock. They should be easy to find from one of the guys who lives in a free state and bought a Century rifle during the ban and restored it to it's proper configuration. If you just have to have that Bell & Carleson metric thumbhole cause you like it you're going to need a complete metric lower assembly & probably will have to buy metric US made HTS to keep everything compliant if your inch lower now has a Century HTS in it.

Radio
June 09, 2007, 14:56
Just to set a definition on terms:

The "upper", where the mag fits in, is a RECEIVER.

The "receiver", where the fire control group parts fit in, is a LOWER.

The buttstock fits the LOWER.

It DOESN'T MATTER what the Receiver is, the LOWER can mate up to EITHER Inch or Metric.

Thumbhole stocks typically required the mutilation of the pistol grip attachment on a standard lower. If you already have a standard lower and wish to fit a thumbhole stock, it is best to purchase another appropriate lower and butcher IT so you can switch back to stock configuration if you wish. If you already have a thumbhole stock and wish to fit a standard buttstock and pistol grip, it is best to purchase another appropriate lower and fit the standard parts on IT to avoid having to fug around with your existing butchered lower.

--Radio

thedrickel
June 11, 2007, 16:18
I will trade you a century bunghole stock for a B&C thumbhole. Gladly :)

ElRon
June 11, 2007, 22:50

Dude, don't make this any more complex. Let him learn what he needs too and then you can debate all you want about CAI.

Vince Century conversion details are archived ad naseum here. Been there done that. Mercy. There is no CAI debate, it is what it is. Sorry for "complicating" it for you.

CUGIR321
June 16, 2007, 00:20
Thanks for the info. I got it...understand the lingo now.

I got an inch thumbhole and 7 usa inch parts. I'm good to go with both setups.

The gun shoots well...not as good as my G3....I'll have to try some reloads. My G3 does sub inch with reloads.

Any great loads for L1A1? IMR 4895 or imr 4064, 147 gr fmj bullet, primer?