PDA

View Full Version : Romainian Curiosoty

hockeysew
June 03, 2007, 19:43
I was at the GS this last weekend and just for laughs started looking at some of the AK variants.
With an extra few bucks in the pocket I was looking at the WASR-10 and then the Yugos-
What Norincos or Bulgarians that were there were bringing in the $7-800 range.

In looking at a bunch of the Yugos I noticed than many of them had very dark bores, even after bore snaking them, sight post's that were either crooked or pushed all the way to one or another side. I do not recall who the makers/importers were, or if they were foriegn or US recievers.
If they are anything like the Yugo SKS I have, I am not that impressed by them.

While looking at the Romainian rifles I noticed that while a few had canted or way adjusted sights, most werent too bad. All of the ones that I bore-snaked were clean and crisp.
I also did note that most were imported by Century.
One thing I did note was some of the recievers had markings to believe they were US Century recievers, while others were marked (this was the only one I was really interested and therefore thats why I wrote it down)
Made by CN SA/CUGIR
IN ROMANIA
Imported by Century
Found a couple with these markings..

A couple of the sellers are local and said they would grant me the same price for a week or so.

I am looking for an under folder and the money was $4- to 450 range.
(PS- I do know that the Romainians are chrome bore/chambered, to me that is a +)

Pro/Cons?

Thoughts?
What are the differences between Yugo and Romainian

mj2evans
June 03, 2007, 21:27
Romainian bore is chrome lined, Yugo is not (unless its nonYugo manufacture). I built a low cost Yugo underfold on "dark bore" kit - its a fine bullet hose but the metal wire type stock on the check does get old after a while. $450 on a Romainian sounds like a decent deal to me - underfolds are more effort to build.

jugrunner
June 04, 2007, 10:20
Buy the Romanian ... I've owned a ton of 'em and anything that's wrong can be fixed easily ... unlike the Yugo with shot out barrels (most) ...

IIRC: the Century underfolders are built on U.S. made DCI receivers ... Yugo kits with new barrels ... correct me if I'm wrong ...

win308
June 11, 2007, 19:51
I have the Romanian SAR-1, and for what little I know about AKs and their different options, mine is just fine. (Mine has the Cugir, made in Romania, etc, etc on the side).

I ESPECIALLY like the the scope rail mount on the side. No scope yet, but if I ever want to put a red dot on it, it's nice to know that feature is available.

(I paid $300 for mine in a private face to face deal here in town...for a piece of stamped steel, I'll play with it a little while longer).

Dirt1042
June 12, 2007, 12:00
For around $200 you can build a Romy G kit using a NoDak spud receiver.

TheOtherChris
June 12, 2007, 17:27
Originally posted by Dirt1042
For around $200 you can build a Romy G kit using a NoDak spud receiver.

I haven't priced a receiver in a while, but with kits currently at about $120 and US parts and rivets adding another $50-$60, those receivers must be a steal!:confused:

hockeysew
June 12, 2007, 19:18
Thanks all- I ended up grabbing a WASR 10 underfolder for $400-
I had a chance to look through 5 that the dealer had and picked the best o' the bunch.

Sights/gas block are straight and the mag well isnt opened up too much...
All matching #'s and a decent finish
Should work OK for a truck/ATV gun

:smile:

Dirt1042
June 12, 2007, 23:11
Originally posted by TheOtherChris

I haven't priced a receiver in a while, but with kits currently at about $120 and US parts and rivets adding another $50-$60, those receivers must be a steal!:confused:

$55 shipped to ffl

So maybe they to build it might be a little more now.

I got some kits from copes awhile back for $105 a piece plus compliance parts for about $60. SHipping from them is only $8 on everything to anywhere.

www.copesdist.com

www.nodakspud.com

treekiller
June 29, 2007, 18:23
saw a wasr 10 for $385 thought for awhile wasnt sure whether to move on it or not thought i should check here to see what to look for as for problems front sight wasnt canted at least not enough for me to notice by eye but didnt check mag well i know they open them up for double stack mags. what shuold i look for? stock seemed short though they had an under folder for $4something didnt pick that up to look at it.
thanks TK

hockeysew
June 29, 2007, 22:51
Check that the sights and gasblock all line up well. Also slip in an empty mag and check how sloppy it is.
Mine was a bit on the snug side, believe it or not.
Check for a crisp, bright bore.
Check that all the numbers match and for a smooth action.
You can always refinish it with some Baking Laquer or such.
Mine is horrible.
That is really the only gripe I have about mine- The finish looks like a 4 year old with a spray can did it.

It shoots very well though.

snowman72
July 20, 2007, 22:57
Originally posted by hockeysew
I was at the GS this last weekend and just for laughs started looking at some of the AK variants.
With an extra few bucks in the pocket I was looking at the WASR-10 and then the Yugos-
What Norincos or Bulgarians that were there were bringing in the $7-800 range.

In looking at a bunch of the Yugos I noticed than many of them had very dark bores, even after bore snaking them, sight post's that were either crooked or pushed all the way to one or another side. I do not recall who the makers/importers were, or if they were foriegn or US recievers.
If they are anything like the Yugo SKS I have, I am not that impressed by them.

While looking at the Romainian rifles I noticed that while a few had canted or way adjusted sights, most werent too bad. All of the ones that I bore-snaked were clean and crisp.
I also did note that most were imported by Century.
One thing I did note was some of the recievers had markings to believe they were US Century recievers, while others were marked (this was the only one I was really interested and therefore thats why I wrote it down)
Made by CN SA/CUGIR
IN ROMANIA
Imported by Century
Found a couple with these markings..

A couple of the sellers are local and said they would grant me the same price for a week or so.

I am looking for an under folder and the money was $4- to 450 range.
(PS- I do know that the Romainians are chrome bore/chambered, to me that is a +)

Pro/Cons?

Thoughts?
What are the differences between Yugo and Romainian

Actually, the Yugo's you saw were Century products with US made receivers from NDS and US made barrels. Although I have not fired a CAI Yugo (I built mine from a kit), I have handled quite a few of them. As far as fit and finish go, they are by far the best thing CAI has offered in a lonnnnng time. They went out of their way to put the best stuff in these rifles. G2 triggers, NDS receivers, and new US made barrels to replace the worn out ones that came with the kits they were built from. I wish they'd do the same with the other products they offer. It's not surprising there'd be canted sites, we are talking about CAI after all.

I realize you've already made your purchase, but if I had a choice between the two at the same price, I'd take the Yugo simply because the WASR's reputation precedes it.

As far as the barrel itself, the only Yugo I know of with a chrome lined bore is the M-92 (5.56 variant). As long as you don't dump mag after mag of corrosive ammo through the rifle and let it sit, you shouldn't have a problem. FWIW, from what I've turned up in my research on the subject, non-chrome lined bores are actually more accurate than those that are.

dstorm1911
August 13, 2007, 09:20
rather than try to retype 5 or 6 pages of information....

http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26281