PDA

View Full Version : E.German stock on Romainian AK??

win308
June 02, 2007, 15:58
Sportsman's Guide has E. German Plastic/polymer buttstock, hand guards and pistol grip for $39 plus shipping. I got a set and they look fine on my gun. (Dark burgandy... almost a redish brown color).

Question............. considering the expired Assault weapon ban, these are not US made parts, and I know the stock I took off was a USA part. Nowhere does it say where these parts are from.....they could have been made in NJ. But SG says they are E. German surplus. (They are brand new parts, by the way).

So, am I legal.........or do I need to find another USA part (like a top cover)???

My AK was made in 2001 and has no flash hider or bayonet lug.

MTS
June 02, 2007, 17:02
The original wood furnished with the Romanian rifle is non-US, made in Romania, so you should be OK. Most use a USA pistol grip, so you may take that into account.

gunplumber
June 03, 2007, 10:36
If your gun had a minimum number of 922 compliance parts, and you removed one, then you would be manufacturing a contraband rifle, and comitting a Federal Felony, to put the imported East German stock on the gun.

Unfortunately, top covers are not on ATF's list of 20 evil parts.

Typically, the following parts are used on an AK

stock set (3)
fire control group (3)
flash hider
gas piston
magazine floorplate
magazine follower
receiver

pick 6.

FAL GRUNT
June 04, 2007, 14:02
or 5 if you don't have a threaded muzzle

-myers

MACV
June 06, 2007, 17:19
Have the barrel threaded and put a M-16 flash hider on it. US made and it works.

dieudonne
July 04, 2007, 07:50
I also thought the butt stock on the sAR 1 series was US manufactured as I was told that was why they never matched the forestock.....

and as the first post pointed out his was made in 2001 mine 2003 and admmittedly mine was one of the lasr sar 1s.....please correct me if I am wrong about the butt stock

POTI
July 04, 2007, 09:28
I believe your OK... check the piston and the FCG and the pistol grip... those are the US made parts

Kyrottimus
July 04, 2007, 13:11
Originally posted by gunplumber
If your gun had a minimum number of 922 compliance parts, and you removed one, then you would be manufacturing a contraband rifle, and comitting a Federal Felony, to put the imported East German stock on the gun.

Unfortunately, top covers are not on ATF's list of 20 evil parts.

Typically, the following parts are used on an AK

stock set (3)
fire control group (3)
flash hider
gas piston
magazine floorplate
magazine follower
receiver

pick 6.

Don't forget magazine body. Buy 100% American made mags (Like from Promag, for example) and that counts for 3 parts of compliance (assuming you sell off all of your non-american mags). Personally I don't go the magazine route because I like Soviet Bloc mags too much.

On my 1 rifle that has a stock that isn't completely K-var/American (2 parts are Romanian anyway) I have American parts on it as follows:

Pistol Grip (1)
Slant Muzzle Break (1)
Tapco G2 FCG (3)
Receiver (1)

Sounds like your rifle is not threaded so if you want to put that non-american folding stock on there I suggest you find another American compliance part.

gunnut1
September 25, 2007, 17:22
Basically, it is 6 with a muzzle device and 5 with out. The fact that the barrel is only threaded is moot.

HTD, receiver, gas piston, and at lest one mag part. That is 6. Foreign furnature is OK then.

Romy wood is Romanian made.

HarlanNDS
September 26, 2007, 20:32
Count the imported parts. That is all that is required. There is no regulation that requires you count the U.S. parts.
Make sure the rifle, with a magazine inserted, has no more than ten of the following as imported parts:

1. receiver
2. barrel
3. muzzle attachment
4. gas piston
5. trunion (part into which the barrel is inserted)
6. bolt carrier
7. bolt
8. hammer
9. disconnector
10. trigger
11. buttstock
12. pistol grip
13. handguard set
14. magazine body
15. magazine follower
16. magazine floorplate.

broncdarts
September 27, 2007, 23:44
Don't forget that the upper and lower handguards count as 1 part not 2.

Vagabond
September 28, 2007, 23:03
Originally posted by gunnut1
Romy wood is Romanian made.

That brings up an interesting hypothetical question: I am a woodworker by profession. I use many varieties of wood from all over the world to create projects.
Now say for instance, if I were to take a chunk of say Jatoba from Brazil and carve it into a product that I sold, would that be considered 'US manufactured', or Brazilian?
Now considering that scenario, if I were to say take a chunk of wood from Romania (that presently happens to be shaped like a buttstock) and carve it into a buttstock of a different shape, would that be considered 'US manufactured'? And what if that were then installed on a rifle? What if I carved it into a figurine that had nothing to do with firearms? Would it then be considered 'US manufactured'? What if I ordered raw planks from Romania and carved a pistol grip?

Just curious what you guys thought... It seems to get ludicrous in a hurry..

:biggrin:

Bentley8
September 29, 2007, 00:48
Vagabond, here's my take, it's what makes sense to me:

I think in order to be a US part it cannot have started its life as a complete foreign-made gun part.

Taking a Romy buttstock and whittling it into a grip? Started as a foreign part, it's still a foreign part, it's now just a different part.

Take a Stoll flash hider, cut it down here in the US, it's still a foreign part, just modified.

A plank of raw Romanian wood is not a gun part. Shaping it here in the US makes it a US part.

You take some Brazilian wood, travel to Brazil, make it into a buttstock there, it's a Brazilian part. You bring the wood here, shape it here, it's a US part.

However, if you have something that's not completely finished (I think the rule is no more than 80% finished), from an overseas source, and you finish it here, it can be a US part.

gunplumber
September 29, 2007, 09:30
there is one manufacturer that thinks machining off proof marks and then laser-engraving them "USA" makes it US made.

Sometimes, they don't even bother removing the proofmarks.

Vagabond
September 29, 2007, 13:09
Thanks Bentley! That is well described and helps a lot!

I mean, it's still crazy, but at least it's craziness I can follow now. :biggrin:

Point well taken Mark... I'm surprised we don't see a market offering for "USA" punches.

gunnut1
September 29, 2007, 13:14
However, if you have something that's not completely finished (I think the rule is no more than 80% finished), from an overseas source, and you finish it here, it can be a US part. [/B]

Don't think so. Any part made in a foreign country no matter how finished or unfinished it it is still a foreign part. If that were true then I could make a cut on say a trigger and call it US made.

gunplumber
September 29, 2007, 13:21
but if I take a bock of japanese steel and machine it into a receiver, its not made in japan.

one of the places atf has gotten themselves in trouble - as far as rational consistency goes, is with excise tax. they have tried to claim in the past that if a gun is "significantly modified from its original configuration" or "value added" then it is remanufactured and excise tax is due again.

taking that (dubious) reasoning to 922, if I take a $150 parts kit and apply a $200 finsih to it, all the parts now are US made since I "remanufactured and value added" here in the US.

My personal opinion is that if the part is modified to the point where it no longer functions for its original intended purpose, then it has been significantly modified.

thats why I consider cutting, redrilling, rewerlding, and soldering in stop pins on an HK full auto trigger box to make it semi only to be "remanufacturing.

it is value added
it is significantly modified from its original configuration
it can no longer be used for its original purpose.

but taking an stg flash hider and cutting the back off as DSA does, I just don't buy as "US made"

broncdarts
September 29, 2007, 14:05
Originally posted by gunnut1

don
t think so. Any part made in a foreign country no matter how finished our unfinished it it is still a foreign part. If that were true then I could make a cut on say a trigger and call it US made.

Then explain the HK91 receivers that Special Weapons brought in from FMP 3 or 4 yrs ago. They were stamped in Portugal, shipped here, bent and welded up here, and are considered a US made part. There are other examples but this is the first that came to mind.

Just stirring the pot.:biggrin: