PDA

View Full Version : Explain the difference in receivers

Randall
May 04, 2007, 11:52
I see receivers and flats for sale all the time. Can someone please explain the difference in the receiver types for a rookie and which types of kits go with which types of receivers? I see 1mm, 1.6mm, types 1, 2, 3, etc. Thanks in advance.
Randy

TheOtherChris
May 04, 2007, 17:18
"Flat" is the term for a drilled but unbent 80% receiver stamping that is not considered a firearm by ATF.

U channel is a bent but undrilled 80% receiver that is not considered a firearm by ATF.

1.0mm and 1.6mm is the thickness of the metal of a stamped AK receiver.

1, 2 & 3 is used by some as a way to describe how "complete" the receiver is. (lower rails installed, TG installed, Trunnions installed, etc.)

Hope this helps

Randall
May 04, 2007, 21:00
So a Type 1 AK-47 receiver will work on any type of AK-47 kit? Wow. I always thought that Type 1 were built for certain types of Kits and Type 2s were built for other types of kits. Thanks for the help.
Randy

dstorm1911
May 05, 2007, 23:31
The reciever is going to depend on which kit ya plan to build, the generic fixed stock such as a Romanian "G" kit or say a Yugo underfolder or a Hungarian etc... some cross interchange some require their own reciever style such as the Yugos with the RPK front trunion or an M92 Krink kit etc...

The best quality reciever ya can get are made by Nodak

nodakspud.com

best site to learn bout building aks

akfiles.com

over the last 15 years I've only built a lil over 1000AK varients (most of those has been in the last 2 years) so Might not have enough experience to properly answer your question, the best I can do with all the variables possible is refer ya to the two sites above, ya really needa have some idea what your intrested in building to start with...