View Full Version : Tracers for plinking and practice? Accuracy?

April 29, 2007, 14:57
Anyone here loading tracers for plinking? .223 and .308?

The price on these is really cheap, espicaly the "20% light" from hitech (.223)

Im not concerned about fires. The range I shoot at allows tracers and has a high backstop, faires are rarely a problem and I have ball for really dry spells.

What Im wondering about is how accurate the tracer rounds are compared to ball? The few Ive shot have always been in MG's Mostly, and I havent really paid attention to accuracy.

April 29, 2007, 15:14
I thought the same thing loaded some up and shot for accuracy
I was disappointed at the results, alot of flyers and 5 moa at best, out of a know 1 1/2 to 2 moa gun (the ultimate) but for good ol plinkin factor you can't beat the price
Pretty sure they are so cheap because most people have no where to shoot tracers and sells are slow

April 29, 2007, 16:24
I agree. Tracers are pits for accuracy. I've tried it too. It has something to do with the fact that the tracer compound is burning which disturbs the air and exerts forces in some fashion that I can't explain and changing the weight of the bullet as material is consumed. All this happens while in flight. So you can imagine. If you have a safe location to fire one straight up, do so and you'll see the pretty little corkscrew pattern they make.

April 29, 2007, 19:41
well there goes that idea

April 29, 2007, 20:04
Still good cheap trigger time and just think of the exercise we'll get putting out the fires! LOL:D

April 29, 2007, 20:08
yeah the last time sucked dude.... That was NOT fun