PDA

View Full Version : Barrel retaining pin?

mnhornet
April 26, 2007, 07:31
I'm in the process of trying to remove the barrel retaining pin from my Romy kit and that thing is busting my chops. I tried the BFH and punch method, and then tried it in a hyd press, and this thing did not budge/at about 6K lbs. Does this pin require more force than that? I am at the point where I'm thinking I'll just drill out the rivets and tap it for my screw build. Any opinions or thoughts are welcome.

mj2evans
April 26, 2007, 17:10
Have done 6 Rommies - only two punched out easily. Screw it man - drill the pin and get on with the build.

FTW2012
April 26, 2007, 17:54
Some times they take quite a bit of pressure to remove.
I've had a couple stubborn ones but never any that wouldn't come out after being "persuaded" by the 12 ton press

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=1667

See if this helps you any

http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting2005/souptonuts4/index.asp

Rivets always make a better build than screws

Good luck!

XHardrock
April 26, 2007, 18:02
I use a small allen (3/16 I believe) to socket drive on the pin cranked down in the vise with a relieved piece of alum. for the back side and smack the vise with a 2# hammer. It goes easily after the first "pop".
If I didn't trust my vise I wouldn't do it this way. Still flinch a little.

raeldridge
April 28, 2007, 20:03
oh, Lord help us! ///grin///

can't recall if I've posted over here on this subject. if you want, go to the AK files side and search my name.

some folks press 'em. good deal if you have a hydraulic press. works, bust you'll be out the $$ for the press.

some folks drill 'em. you can, but it's hard metal, gotta be drilled straight and then you have to get a replacement pin.

you can whack 'em out, with proper tools.

something to hold the trunnion in the vise. get a piece of hardwood, or my favorite, that white plastic cutting board material and drill three holes in it, make two pieces for your vise to hold the trunnion. put it in the vise, with the pin level with the top of the vise.

an energy deliver device. three pound hammer. or a five pound if you're manly enough to control it.

and energy transfer device. you can *NOT* use a regular punch. get something big. I have a piece of hardened steel, approx. one inch square, about twelve inches long and it tapers to a point. what it is, is a surplus jackhammer bit. you can make the same with a piece of one inch rebar that you sharpen on a bench grinder.

hold it steady, hit it hard enough and get enough energy transferred to the pin. it will go. multiple kits, pins all moved once I convinced them enough. ///grin///

dstorm1911
May 06, 2007, 00:38
POWER HAMMER

$22 at lowes or home depot, any pin out in 5 seconds or less........ over 300 pins so far this year outa Rommy G kits and counting, just did 45 more last week...

mnhornet
May 06, 2007, 15:08
I took that sucker out with an end mill, and tapped it out after I hollowed it. A buddy said he'd turn me a new pin when I'm ready. The pin looked like it had a glob of silver solder on it.

Edgsmth
May 06, 2007, 20:08
Originally posted by dstorm1911
POWER HAMMER

$22 at lowes or home depot, any pin out in 5 seconds or less........ over 300 pins so far this year outa Rommy G kits and counting, just did 45 more last week...

Way cool, never thought of using mine. I assume you mean a palm nailer?

dstorm1911
May 08, 2007, 22:46
Originally posted by Edgsmth

Way cool, never thought of using mine. I assume you mean a palm nailer?

Palm nailer will probably work as well, I actually use a power hammer, .22 cal blanks, bang out goes any pin even severally galled ones.

there are some pics in this thread, I started a tutorial awhile back to help out folks who don't have a machine shop on hand but wanna do a rivet build etc... figured bolt cutter squeezers been covered to death so I highlighted the use of an air hammer riveter, etc... ya know your basic build with no press or mill etc... ya might wanna check out the thread "so your AK won't hit the broadside of a barn" too, I took my absolutally most worn out AK kit and put it together useing ALL original worn out parts except full auto components just to prove how accurate an AK really can be and why all the excuses over bad bores, bad triggers etc.. are BS

http://surplusrifleforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=25304