View Full Version : Reloading brass fired in a fluted chamber

April 23, 2007, 23:28
Anyone ever loaded brass that was fired in a rifle with a fluted chamber? I acquired some 308 brass that has the grooves formed into the neck and shoulder. I ran a couple through my sizing die and the grooves are still intact. What do you all think. Can this stuff be reloaded?

April 24, 2007, 00:36
I have. I was alarmed when I saw the brass fired from my first HK-91, which takes some doing because it threw it so far. I reloaded a few cases three times before I lost them. The grooves flatten out if you fire them in another, standard chamber rifle. I tried to see if they would split if fired over in the HK, but they don't.

Disconcerting, unsightly, mildly stressful, but not a problem.

April 24, 2007, 01:15
I agree with BUFF...

I've reloaded a lot of 7.62x51mm cases fired in an HK-91 and a SIG AMT (but mostly in the HK) and a lot of 5.56x45mm cases fired in HK rifles...

I've noticed a fair amount of difference in the hardness of brass by the fluting marks on the cases but, regardless of how deep the flutes are, I've never had any trouble reloading and refiring and reloading and...

I'm guessing that I've fired fluted cases up to about three times in a fluted chamber gun with no visible problems (but I've never wanted to push it, either)...

I've fired cases originally fired in fluted chambers many more times in non-fluted chambers after the first firing...

I've reached the point where I kind of like the fluting on my brass. It comes out of the tumbler (vibrator) looking so pretty...

K. Funk
April 29, 2007, 07:12
I will add my agreement, no problem. The only issues I have are actually finding the brass after being flung 20 ft and mashed case mouths. If the first two obstacles can be overcome, they reload with no issues.

May 01, 2007, 18:42
Yep, I inherited several hundred rounds once fired from my uncle's hk91. It reloaded just fine.

May 01, 2007, 18:43
Yep, I inherited several hundred rounds once fired (mixed military headstamp)from my uncle's hk91. It reloaded just fine.

June 09, 2007, 07:21
Oh no don't reload it, it's terrible.......
Those flutes are an eyesore....

Send me all your cases and I'll be happy to re-cycle them for you for a modest fee.

They recycle just fine in my FAL, H&K and Rem bolt guns.

Just remember to swage out the firing pin crimp that the weapon imparts on the case head and you're fine.

Forget about ever getting them "clean", it never all comes off. Ever. I look at it as pre-patina'd brass.