PDA

View Full Version : looking for 7.62x39 steel berdan cases

jb573
April 15, 2007, 18:06
trying to reload some steel cased , berdan primed 7.62x39 cases.
If anyone has been saving their steel cased wolf once fired cases and do not want them anymore let me know.. I have some berdan primers and want to try and reload them..Please e-mail me @

josephd99@comcast.net

bobsfal
April 19, 2007, 17:49
i heard reloading steel case was dangerous,why not check out "sellier&bellot" i had seen 1000 rnd. brass case relatively cheap+its safer

TideWater 41009
April 19, 2007, 18:16
Steel Berdan cases can be safely re-loaded, but it takes a lot of work. You would be much better off buying boxer primed ammo and re-loading that.

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt.

I would only re-load Bedan cases if no Boxer were available, which is not the situation here.

bobsfal
April 19, 2007, 20:20
i learn somethin new everyday

jb573
April 21, 2007, 21:40
Still looking?? What have you got..Thanks,, jb

josephd99@comcast.net

instr8
April 22, 2007, 07:12
Originally posted by TideWater 41009
Steel Berdan cases can be safely re-loaded, but it takes a lot of work. You would be much better off buying boxer primed ammo and re-loading that.

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt.

I would only re-load Bedan cases if no Boxer were available, which is not the situation here.

I've been there too, done it many times and still do. What does your T-shirt say? Mine says: "Man, I'm sure glad these other guys think that one extra step of decapping the berdan cases is way too much work. Makes finding berdan cases much easier. Just keep on thinking that now guys."

Gunga Din
April 22, 2007, 12:46
instr8 - What/whose decapping system do you use? Apparently you have chosen one that works very well.

instr8
April 22, 2007, 19:56
Originally posted by Gunga Din
instr8 - What/whose decapping system do you use? Apparently you have chosen one that works very well.

I just use an RCBS berdan decapper. Trust me, there is no other viable option. I keep hearing how hard it is to reload berdan brass and I just don't get it. I can decap berdan cases as fast as I can decap and resize boxer. Yes, boxer is preferred, but the only thing different is that I have to decap in a seperate, additional step. But it's a fast step. The biggest problem I have with berdan decapping is breaking decap pins. Some last over a thousand, some last 300. You just never know. I've gone through about 4 pins in about 3000 cases. One was my fault though, but most just fatigue out.

mnhornet
April 23, 2007, 14:13
instr8, I looked for the die, but found an rcbs berdan decapping tool, is that what I should be looking for? We just shot 200 rds of port last weekend. I'll have to send the kid on a scrounging mission. Can I assume berdan primers are readily available?

instr8
April 23, 2007, 15:28
Originally posted by mnhornet
instr8, I looked for the die, but found an rcbs berdan decapping tool, is that what I should be looking for? We just shot 200 rds of port last weekend. I'll have to send the kid on a scrounging mission. Can I assume berdan primers are readily available?

There is no such thing as a berdan decapping die. The RCBS tool is what you would want if you were going to be able to do this but for 200rds, not worth it. Berdan primers are practically non-existant. If you get to 1000 of the empty port, PM me and I will make you an offer on it.

jb573
April 23, 2007, 20:10
Hijack in progress. Thanks for the Great wisdom.. jb

instr8
April 23, 2007, 22:37
My apologies. Continue sir.

kychas
April 24, 2007, 15:46
it is a lot of work and i only do it for brass, not steel, it requires a bit of tooling that you have to make and a drill press or metal lathe, i only do it for 6.5 and 7.5 x 55 swiss.
let me know if i need to post how i do it.
kychas