PDA

View Full Version : 80% receiver questions

Red Dwarf
March 22, 2007, 15:29
My first post . I've enjoyed perusing the info here but I haven't found any discussion of my questions. I'm building a Romy G kit and trying to decide which way to go on receivers. I see most of the 80% prefolded receivers don't have the dimples pressed in - particularly the mag well dimples. One vendor said it wasn't important since the lower rails had magazine locators on them. Does this sound accurate?

I know that Cold Steel Solutions has the dimples, but they also have not-so-great feedback on some other boards - anybody here bought from them without issues?

My interest in 80%s rises mostly from wanting to "build it myself" as much as possible, and to a lesser degree getting around the high transfer fees that the FFLs in my area seem to like.

Appreciate your input.

FTW2012
March 22, 2007, 23:27
Get a flat from TAPCO
and make one from scratch!

http://www.tapco.com/proddesc.aspx?id=9a748c1a-64cb-4deb-8b9c-97228269cdfa

As far as transfer fees go, call around to some pawn shops in your area
many will receive and transfer for $20-$25

We have a guy in ID who does it for $5!

Where are you located?

Red Dwarf
March 23, 2007, 09:54
Thanks for the reply. $20-25 is the standard fee here (Boise), just seems like a lot to me for a receiver. Maybe I need to adjust my thinking. Where did you find one that will do it for $5? If he's close I'd use him.

I have thought about the flats a lot. I have access to a press, but not the other bending tools, so I figured that was pretty much out of the question. I've read that it could be done on a brake from Harbor Freight but haven't seen the end result, so that's a little bothersome.

Red

FTW2012
March 23, 2007, 12:54
You're in Boise?
Cool! I'm in Meridian not too far away
The guy who does the $5 transfers in Diamond Dick's Pawn Shop on Garity in Nampa next to Alpha Omega Services
Look him up in the phone book and ask for Richard, nice guy, easy to deal with especially if you have your CCW, if not its not too bad either, you just may have to make a second trip out there if the FBI says DELAY for some reason
I've had that happen a couple times, for NO reason, then I just went and got a CCW, no problems since!

There are quite a few of us in Ada & Canyon Counties,
a couple scattered out in other placeses in ID too
I get together with one of the guys in Nampa and tinker with AK's
We are probably going to go shooting this weekend.
I'm sure we could help you put one together. You will have to buy the beer and do your own receiver bending though! :tongue:
Any sort of decent pale ale will do :biggrin:

You can get all your TAPCO compliance parts / flats / rivet sets from
Alpha Omega and not have to pay shipping as he is a distributer for them.
Also a nice guy to deal with. His prices are usually at or below what TAPCO shows on their website. You need 5 US made parts for a leagal kit build
Usually the receiver (1) fire controll group (3, H/T/S) and pistol grip (1)
If you want to change stocks or muzzle attachments thats up to you.

The receiver flat usually takes about 45 minuets to an hour to make
And the rest of the rifle goes together in about 2 - 3 hours between de-miling, beers, bullshitting and cigars.

FTW2012
March 23, 2007, 13:14
Check out this thread .............................

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=150103&perpage=50&pagenumber=1

Red Dwarf
March 23, 2007, 14:56
Great info. Thanks.

Sounds like I need to take a road trip to Nampa. Good thing I've got 4-wheel drive to negotiate the freeway.:biggrin:

I'm in the process of demilling now. I got the kit from Copes and it came with a G2 FCG so I just need to pick up a couple of items and a receiver and I'm ready to build.

I'm kind of reading between the lines - do you have access to the bending equipment? I'm more than happy to do the work since I want to learn how, I just don't have the tools.

Red

FTW2012
March 23, 2007, 17:40
creator0203 has a bending jig, spot welder and a shop press,
thats who I tinker my AK's with
Plus we made a rivet crusher out of a bolt cutter, works great
The last couple we did for ourselves came damn close to what was sent out
of the original factory! Only in semi auto. Great fun!

Busy this weekend but let me know what you are up too in the next few weeks.
Get all your parts and we can get together and show you how to put that baby
in working order. Bring some ammo too because there is a firing range out on Pickle Butte in Nampa where we go to test fire after a build.

creator0203
March 23, 2007, 18:22
Oh no, another Romy may live in the valley. AAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:beer:
Good to hear from another local, hope you're a drinker.:devil:
We're all about A,T,F. Not to be confused with the agency ;)

Edgsmth
March 23, 2007, 23:11
You're thinking the Walmart affiliated convenience store?

I have a flat without dimples and I don't see why they couldn't be pressed in (hot) with a floor press and proper jigs that could be made easily by hand.

FTW2012
March 24, 2007, 01:00
Originally posted by Edgsmth
You're thinking the Walmart affiliated convenience store?

actually the same substances

Red Dwarf
March 24, 2007, 20:34
I'm back.

I will probably disappoint on the A,T,F aspect. Never started with the T and about the strongest beverage is a diet coke. :angel:

We can probably get along though - 33 years in the Navy taught me a fair bit of tolerance. :D

I've started demiling and cleaning things up already. Now my son has the bug so we will probably wait until he can get a kit and then do two receivers at the same time if thats okay with you guys.

creator0203
March 24, 2007, 21:28
Not sure if you've read some build tutorials but it does take around 4 hours to do one right. Sometimes more depending on how things go. Heck, usually more. You cant just bend the flat do some welding and be done. There is the shaping of the top rails and alot of fitting parts, holes, etc.........
Perhaps we'll tackle one build at a time. though while the jig is out we can make both receivers.

Red Dwarf
March 25, 2007, 08:02
Oops - I wasn't clear on that. I meant both receivers at the same time. Didn't think two complete builds was reasonable.

FTW2012
March 25, 2007, 20:59
Originally posted by Red Dwarf
I'm back.

I will probably disappoint on the A,T,F aspect. Never started with the T and about the strongest beverage is a diet coke. :angel:

We can probably get along though - 33 years in the Navy taught me a fair bit of tolerance. :D

I've started demiling and cleaning things up already. Now my son has the bug so we will probably wait until he can get a kit and then do two receivers at the same time if thats okay with you guys.

Congratulations!
You have just been elected as the designated driver!

Just kidding.

33 years in the Navy eh?
We'll get along fine!

Take a look in the market place, there is a member here in OH called Bocefus
He sometimes posts very good to un issued kits for sale at very reasonable prices. Or look on Gunbroker.com
The 1986 AKM kits out there are mostly un issued rifles that got torn down for parts and usually sell between $100 - $125