PDA

View Full Version : Need opinions on a particular Leupold. Thanks!

MG-70
April 27, 2002, 11:51
Working a possible trade whereby I can pick up a Leupold V-X II 3-9X40 TACT MATTE Duplex for a little over $300 (similar to prices I've seen on SGN).

This is going on a Rem PSS 700 .308 that as of yet I have not received (three weeks, that's another story) -- I really want the Tasco Sniper 10X42, simply because I feel the fixed power and military contract guarantee it's "bullet proof." It costs about the same, but the person I'm dealing with does not carry it (apparently only SWFA does).

I've heard over and over that Leupold has excellent customer service and I know their higher-end stuff is great, but WHAT CAN YOU TELL ME ABOUT THIS Leupold V-X II 3-9X40 TACT MATTE Duplex SCOPE? Would this be a good option for said rifle?

No, I'm not going to rough it up, nor do I intend to drop the rifle, but I would like a decent, tough, setup.

I also plan to get a Harris L-1A2 bipod -- would the swivel head version be a better option for a tactical rifle?

TIA,
MG-70

[ April 27, 2002: Message edited by: MG-70 ]

slv2fun
April 27, 2002, 12:23
MG:

I own said Rem PSS (Actually a 700 P - DM) wit Leupold VariX III Mildot 4.5 X 14.

I don't think the Vari-X II's are Nitrogen filled (I could be wrong). But Apart from that, I am not aware of other distinctions. I have no problem with my Leupold. You may NEVER NEED customer service with the Leupold.

I have looked through many Tasco's, Redfields, El Cheapo scopes. What I have learned is...there is a difference. you don't get the difference by comparing bullet points on a sales brochure, but will see the diff. The reason people spend the extra money is the absolutely crystal clear image you get in the scope. My friend has a Savage 10FP with the Super Sniper, I have the rem with the Leupold. Where the money went, is clear. It's not my opinion, it's what he said.

Not to take anything away from the Tascos. I owned several throughout my 2 decades plus of shooting. I do not look back nor am I sorry I had them...It's just the Leupold is so much more...and When I do have more $$, I'll move up to an M3 or something.

Your 700 PSS is about a $750 gun, It is capable of .75 MOA out of the box...but it will never get .75 MOA unless your scope is a .75 MOA scope and the scope mounts and bases allow you to get .75MOA. Lastly...if you don't have a scope mount job that is .75 MOA, you will not get .75 MOA...can ya...kinda see where I'm goin?

Spend the money to match the gun. That'll be my suggestion

Good Luck. Hope this helped.

Regards,

Gil

:)

Originally posted by MG-70:
<STRONG>Working a possible trade whereby I can pick up a Leupold V-X II 3-9X40 TACT MATTE Duplex for a little over $300 (similar to prices I've seen on SGN).

This is going on a Rem PSS 700 .308 that as of yet I have not received (three weeks, that's another story) -- I really want the Tasco Sniper 10X42, simply because I feel the fixed power and military contract guarantee it's "bullet proof." It costs about the same, but the person I'm dealing with does not carry it (apparently only SWFA does).

I've heard over and over that Leupold has excellent customer service and I know their higher-end stuff is great, but WHAT CAN YOU TELL ME ABOUT THIS Leupold V-X II 3-9X40 TACT MATTE Duplex SCOPE? Would this be a god option for said rifle?

No, I'm not going to rough it up, nor do I intend to drop the rifle, but I would like a decent, tough, setup.

I also plan to get a Harris L-1A2 bipod -- would the swivel head version be a better option for a tactical rifle?

TIA,
MG-70</STRONG>

Templator
April 27, 2002, 21:37
I don't have experience with the Leopold model that you speak of,.. but let me relate this. A few years ago, we had a minor flood in my basement. Two Leopold scopes were involved in it,.. a 4X compact and a 6X fixed. both of them came through unscathed even though they were completely submerged in water for about 36 hours. A high quality pair of Nikon binoculars were filled with water and ruined.

Leopolds are a bit pricey,.. but I still consider them a good value for the money. I won't own another brand of scope.

masterwrench
April 27, 2002, 22:08
I have four of the Vari-X II scopes, one of them I have had for about twenty years, it was replaced by Leupold about 17 years ago after my Ex-wife dropped the rifle during a deer hunt, the tube was bent and they replaced it no questions asked- that is customer service! For clarity and quality the Leupold is the best scope for the money. The only people that I have heard bitch about the Leupold are the ones that have never owned one.

nvcdl
April 27, 2002, 23:16
For $300 you can get a Tasco Super Sniper.
IMO the optics are better then the budget Leopolds.

tokamura
April 28, 2002, 02:00
MG:

I own a Leupold VXII 3X9 (target dot reticle) and a Tasco SS 10X42. Both scopes have been put on my Rem 700 VLS in .308 for my own comparison.

Both are good scopes. I hope that those "Tasco Bashers" won't flame me for this, but in the specific role that I wanted for my Rem 700 VLS, I selected the Tasco. The mil-dot feature alone made it a better choice than my Leupold. Those elevation and windage knobs also work as advertised (returning to zero all the time).

The Leupold will be mounted on one of my other sporter rifles.

It's pleasantly surprising but the Tasco scope was worth the $300. I am considering two more, one in 16X and in 20X.

Please do not read beyond what I have written. I also own 5 Leupold scopes that have more than satisfied me over the last 16 years. They are also as advertised and excellent scopes.

Because your comparison will be a Leupold VXII 3X9 Tactical vs. a Tasco SS 10X42, either would be a good buy depending on how you want your tack driver to be setup. Does the Leupold have a mil-dot reticle (I think you mentioned duplex)? How about oversized target knobs and a focus + parallex ring? If so... Good Luck on your choice.

Tom O.

MG-70
April 28, 2002, 14:40
Damn, you guys ain't making this any easier!!!

Thanks for all the replies.

MG-70

U. D. Linden
April 28, 2002, 22:48
I've got one of those in 3x9x50, heavy duplex. It's a vari-x IIc, matte, I believe, sounds like that's what you're looking at. I've seen these used for $220-$260 on auction arms and gunbroker. Excellent scope. I think they're nitrogen filled but lack some kind of optical coating and etc so they don't handle sudden temp changes as well as vari-x III. believe it or not, I've had it on a swedish mauser since I got it....

I *would NOT* characterize this as a "budget Leupold" btw. Half of my scopes are vari-x II and half are III's. Both have excellent optical qualities and performance. IIIs are a tad nicer, but not by much. Of course, if you hunt in Alaska III's are the way to go.

50 cal
April 28, 2002, 23:35
I have both the scopes you mention. The Tasco is on my M21 clone, the Loopy is on my 700 ADL in 308. Like both the scopes, you can't go wrong no matter which one you choose.

Cal 50
April 29, 2002, 01:48
Go for the Leupold. Have a Tasco Super Sniper 20X42 on my Serbu 50 Cal. Went through 3 scopes before I got one that had acceptable clarity. Still not great. The lower power scopes are clearer. Not bashing Tasco, have a 6-24 scope on a rifle that is much clearer at 24 power than the 20X SS scope.

Low Profile
April 29, 2002, 07:31
Buy the Leupold. Quality optics are worth paying for. I've got a VXIII 4.5-14x40 Mil-dot on my errr... precision .308 and it's truly incredible. I've also got scopes by Burris, Tasco, and Simmons. The Burris is far better than the other two, but still not up to the Leupold. Live with a Leupold for a while and it will ruin other scopes for you.

Regards,

[ April 29, 2002: Message edited by: Low Profile ]